Are all transient shapers made equal?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've used Sleepy-Time DSP Transient also up until recently which I got Transector by LVC-Audio on BF sale; meanwhile I had been trialing some others, they all have different sound characters I'm afraid so it probably boils down to trying them to see which one you like

synzh wrote:I've used Sleepy-Time DSP Transient also up until recently which I got Transector by LVC-Audio on BF sale; meanwhile I had been trialing some others, they all have different sound characters I'm afraid so it probably boils down to trying them to see which one you like
Oh, I forgot to mention Transector, that's the one I want to buy, too, because I'm a big fan of ClipShifter! :love:

foosnark wrote:
Arrested Developer wrote:I have Melda Multiband-Transient and while it took me a while to get familiar with it, i really like it.
Specially when dealing with tracks that have been recorded with flawed settings (but however are good as music, so you want to keep them) it can be really helpful.
:shrug:

I wasn't thrilled by it when I tried it on a few drum loops. I could get pretty decent results through tweaking, then I'd disable it and put in Transient Master and it was just as good or better.
Nothing wrong with personal preferences! :wink:
I have transient master but almost don't use it, maybe i should give it another try.
The thing about Melda MT for me is that it does what it's supposed to do; attenuating or boosting attacks for the time i want it in specific frequency ranges. No secret magic in there rather a surgical tool.
(and i like the options it has, since transients are a pretty complex topic, specially, since there is usually also compression and limiting...so that's an area where almost everything can get messed up) :wink:

Arrested Developer wrote:
foosnark wrote:
Arrested Developer wrote:I have Melda Multiband-Transient and while it took me a while to get familiar with it, i really like it.
Specially when dealing with tracks that have been recorded with flawed settings (but however are good as music, so you want to keep them) it can be really helpful.
:shrug:

I wasn't thrilled by it when I tried it on a few drum loops. I could get pretty decent results through tweaking, then I'd disable it and put in Transient Master and it was just as good or better.
Nothing wrong with personal preferences! :wink:
I have transient master but almost don't use it, maybe i should give it another try.
The thing about Melda MT for me is that it does what it's supposed to do; attenuating or boosting attacks for the time i want it in specific frequency ranges. No secret magic in there rather a surgical tool.
(and i like the options it has, since transients are a pretty complex topic, specially, since there is usually also compression and limiting...so that's an area where almost everything can get messed up) :wink:
How long does it take to fall in love with Melda MultiBandTransient? Because I'm always staring at it and then...

...then I use Sleepy-Time Records Transient instead, because it seems to be easier to use... :bang:

BERFAB wrote:
budweiser wrote:No they're not ! Cubase, NI & fxpansion rules, imo.
Cubase has a transient designer? Where do I find that?
Since something like c4 :
Dynamics > envelopeshaper
and since v7 you also have Trans in the cubase strip channel

As i'm a bit slow in changing my habits i barely use the channel strip, but envelopeshaper is really handy, low on cpu & efficient.

Tricky-Loops wrote:How long does it take to fall in love with Melda MultiBandTransient? Because I'm always staring at it and then...
For me it happened with the right situation: a friend of mine asked me to mix a track he made with lots of flawed audio recordings (specially guitars and drums). The fact that it wasn't "my" music maybe helped me to get a more objective point of view in the sense of: The attack of the snare could be a little bit more present in that frequency range and the second rhythm guitar could have a bit more punch in certain lower mids etc etc.
Maybe it's really useful to "train" certain new plug ins with a material that one is not too engaged in....
at least for me, this sometimes works.

thanks for the thoughts and suggestions all, very helpful

I use NI Transient Master too, but I just noticed Audio Assault Multi transient on the front page of KVR, looks like it could be very useful;

budweiser wrote:
BERFAB wrote:
budweiser wrote:No they're not ! Cubase, NI & fxpansion rules, imo.
Cubase has a transient designer? Where do I find that?
Since something like c4 :
Dynamics > envelopeshaper
and since v7 you also have Trans in the cubase strip channel

As i'm a bit slow in changing my habits i barely use the channel strip, but envelopeshaper is really handy, low on cpu & efficient.
That's funny because I use the strip all the time, but I usually start with the presets and just tweak from there. So if the trans designer isn't in the preset or if it's not that important to the sound, I've probably just been ignoring it. I'll pay more attention in the future.

FWIW, I have been using NI's trans designer which I really like. I'm going to start checking out the Cubase one though.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Return to “Effects”