Understanding the Three Different Kontakt VST Plugins (8out, 16out, etc.)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Every now and then I encounter people who are confused about the three different VST versions that Kontakt includes (Kontakt 5, Kontakt 5 16out, Kontakt 5 8out), so I put together an article that illustrates the exact differences between them and provides some guidance as to when you might consider using the limited 8out and 16out versions.

You can find the story here: Kontakt Demystified: Understanding the Three Different Kontakt VST Plugins

Some good reading at the site.

Thanks for sharing UltimateOutsider :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Wow, thank you for this! I've been using Kontakt 16-out for a couple years, assuming that it had the most outputs... and being bummed out that it only had 8 stereo outs!

I just loaded the "normal" Kontakt 5 and am pleased to see 44 stereo outs in Renoise... more than I expect to use!

padillac wrote:I've been using Kontakt 16-out for a couple years, assuming that it had the most outputs... and being bummed out that it only had 8 stereo outs!
Yeah- I've actually seen numerous people tell other users that the 16out and 8out versions were the only ones that supported multi-out. There's only a very brief mention of the differences in the Kontakt manual, and it's not spelled out very explicitly.

Now actually utilizing all those additional outputs beyond the first 12 output pairs you get with "Kontakt 5" can get a little bit hairy, but I'm putting together something on a good workflow for getting that stuff under control. Next week, probably?

Anyway, thanks, folks!

Thank you very much for this....it is helpful.
Thank you for everything.

Do you have any information on the AudioUnit version? It seems like it might be only 8 stereo outs?

Actually... Renoise only shows 8 stereo outs, but AudioMulch shows 64.

I'm pretty confused

padillac wrote:Do you have any information on the AudioUnit version? It seems like it might be only 8 stereo outs?

Actually... Renoise only shows 8 stereo outs, but AudioMulch shows 64.

I'm pretty confused
I am exclusively Windows/VST, so I'm not sure, man.

I think in the Kontakt manual it says that with the AU version, the host tells the plugin how many outputs to enable (it's the other way around with VST), so that could be what you're seeing? I wonder if this is something you can configure on Renoise?

snowman wrote:Thank you very much for this....it is helpful.
Yeh likewise, thanks for the effort, I had always assumed to select the multi out options without realising the consequences.

UltimateOutsider wrote:
padillac wrote:Do you have any information on the AudioUnit version? It seems like it might be only 8 stereo outs?
manual it says that with the AU version, the host tells the plugin how many outputs to enable
No. You define in Kontakt what your output configuration is to be, and then you open up the host to some or all of those.

In all, the AU Kontakt will output 32 stereo outs or 64 mono outs or any combination/mixture.

I was used to Kontakt, pre-K 5, with the surround taking up six outputs and worked around it, and this has remained my default configuration for 'all formats'. But the meaning of '11/12', which I named '6' (for compatibility with all older setups) is fluid; I could take 'unassigned 1 & 2' etc now and call it what I need to call it. Here are 26 outputs with 38 unassigned.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”