Did you leave 'logic' for 'live' ?? Or vice versa ?? If so..................

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why ??
Did you regret it ?? Never looked back ??
What do you miss ??

etc, etc, etc

Yes I did, but not fully.

I use pro tools to mix stems exported from live, why. because I find mixing in the weak to say the least.

The reason for switching, I can get ideas down so much faster in live than logic.

Ableton Push :-)

What do I miss, nothing.

Vice versa.

I liked certain things about Live, but I felt like the MIDI editing was weak. Also, I don't use clip launching, though I can see the attraction in it. Bottom line: it just didn't feel like the right app for me. Logic works the way I want to. Maybe I should sell my Live 6 license. Hmmm...

Now, can we get a UI redesign for Ultrabeat so that it's usable? :wink:

ok, thanks for the answers :tu:

p.s nominil...check out macprovideo if ultrabeat scares you off

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: p.s nominil...check out macprovideo if ultrabeat scares you off
Yeah, they make good videos.

It's more that UB annoys me. If I don't use it for awhile, I forget where everything is and have to "relearn" it. It could be easier on the eyes and easier to use in general, but it's powerful.

As powerful as UB is, I just can't deal with the workflow, so it ultimately ruins the production for me.

I always find myself going back to Live. I really, really tried to get into Logic Pro X-- I bought a huge f--kin' book on it, seen mpv, lynda, and groove 3 videos, and I still can't get into it. Yes, it's powerful, and I like that it has some additional fx that Live doesn't (although Max could make up for that..), but it feels like I'm always being hindered by it in some way.

Maybe one day it will all click for me, but it hasn't happened yet.
:D

I've left Logic 3 times now but never for Live.

Did you leave 'logic' for 'live' ?? Or vice versa ?? If so..................
Yes, several times.
It's a hobby.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

the tone ranger wrote:I've left Logic 3 times now but never for Live.
spaceman wrote:Yes, several times

both of these tell me that maybe i'm better off staying put :scared:

what did you both try ?? what failed ?? are you back with logic now ??

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
spaceman wrote:Yes, several times

I never really leave Logic (I can't as it's always there in my Apple account), I just stop using it for a while when it pisses me off for whatever reason. Very soon, whatever I use after that will start pissing me off as well and I realise that Logic is still better than anything around. I now happily accept that I don't need to have just one host and that I can switch to another one if it suits the current purpose better.

For that reason, I have Logic, Reason and Live.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I primarily use Logic, but sometimes Live because the workflow is different - working / jamming with clips can be very inspiring. Bitwig is worth a look too ;)

It's worth having both Live + Logic IMO, but I much prefer mixing in Logic.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

I started with Logic 4 and moved to Reason 2.
Moved back to Logic 7 because I wanted audio tracks and Native Instruments but still used Reason Rewired sometimes.
Then I moved to Pro Tools LE 8 because the audio editing was miles ahead of Logic. What was taking me a week to do in Logic was taking me a day or two in Pro Tools.
But avid changed their upgrade policy and I thought it was too expensive. Logic improved their audio editing a lot in Version 9 and it was dirt cheap on the App Store. I thought I'd give it ago and although it was a better than Logic 7 it was still a bit clunky and frustrating. I was missing Pro Tools a lot, mostly for audio editing and mixing and finally bit the bullet and upgraded. Reason has been slowly working its way back into my workflow though and is now my primary DAW. Pro Tools is my mixing DAW but sometimes I just do everything in Reason.I'll never go back to Logic even if they made it free. I just find it incredibly uninspiring and annoying. Don't let the price or other people talk you into using it. You can't even sell your licence if you don't like it so it could be a waste of money.

I've always thought Live was cool but I don't need another DAW in my life.

I was asking the very same question end of 2012. And I've decided to move from Logic to Live. I'll look up the thread, it was actually very informative. Many people suggested to use Live and rewire into Logic. Never done that though. < Edit: here it is : http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=370678 >

Do I want to move back to Logic? No, not at all. Live gives me much more inspiration, I actually want to create something in Live. Session view is a big part of this, a it allows me to randomly build one idea on top of another. Routing is more flexible as well.
What Logic has going for it is the mixer, it's much more convenient and gives a much better overview of what's going on. For example, in Live you have to click on a track to see the plugins that are inserted. To create a sidechain you have to create a dummytrack for the sidechain signal. On the other hand, I found it much easier to layer different synths on the same part in Live, just create a rack, add extra instrument, boom, done.
There are things that I dislike about Live, but for the very fact that it actually makes me want to create music, it's worth it to hold on to.

Now, I looked at Bitwig past week, and it does a lot of things right that Live doesn't. Routing sidechains is so convenient, and I like the mixer more. PDC (apparently) is done right. But two things are holding it back to me (maybe more if I had given it more time), firstly, it doesn't load AU's, which means that I can't use Drumspillage. That is a deal-breaker to me. And I feel it's not optimised, I made a very simple track with just some drums from Bitwig and a simple one note part with Diversion, and the engine started to stutter and skip. Now I know Diversion is CPU demanding, but it should handle this very thing with ease. So, it shows promise, but not there for me yet.

If you got any specific questions, just ask.

Went from Logic to Cubase 10 years ago and then to Live 3 years ago.
Great workflow for all kinds of grooving music. Session View and the implementation of drum racks and Live's own instruments/FXs makes it very easy to create and automate. Most of the time I don't use 3rd party instruments anymore. When I get Push the usability will improve even more.

And I do not know why people complain about Live's UI. It's fantastic because it emphasizes simple, clear and CPU friendly graphics over shiny UI effects that distract from making music.

Logic for Studio One... And I'm quite happy. Apple has sort of pissed me off after 20 or so years so I thought it was time for a change... And well Studio One is pretty darn good too!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”