Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

fmr wrote:I already pointed this out a couple of months ago, even before the creation of the current GUI: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p5877240
I noticed there'd been some requests for it - thought I'd add another in the hope it's heard!
fmr wrote:I agree this is almost perfect as a GUI, but you have to realize this is a design of Propellerhead
I'm sure there's some out there who'd complain it's "a design of yamaha"!

"Copying" is bad.

"Inspired by" is good. ;-)

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

peterjsd wrote:
fmr wrote:I already pointed this out a couple of months ago, even before the creation of the current GUI: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p5877240
I noticed there'd been some requests for it - thought I'd add another in the hope it's heard!
fmr wrote:I agree this is almost perfect as a GUI, but you have to realize this is a design of Propellerhead
I'm sure there's some out there who'd complain it's "a design of yamaha"!
+1 for this type of layout. Saves eye movement and is logical, because as you know individual operators modulate each other by pitch, volume, etc. I hope it will be implemented in Dexed, with maximum readability.
@peterjsd - it's not a Yamaha or Ph design, and is certainly not proprietary (as long as it's not copied 1:1), just look at the pictures above.

the new 0.8 UI is very nice ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

DrewDale wrote:
fmr wrote: But I agree with the operator On/Off switch (could be the Operator Number, which would turn darker when off). That is something I wished I had many times, while editing.
I also would like this feature added :pray:
+1 :pray:
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

Hey guys I'm sure I'm off topic and out of date but I really wanna give Dexed a try but every time I try to download the install package and open it live control tries to open it instead of the Installer
I'm on a 2013 Macbook Pro with Yosemite Ableton Live 8 Suite and Studio One Pro

I'm sure its something dumb I'm Missing

Thanks for any help

really digging this synth.

oh, and the 0.8 GUI is very nice.

toothnclaw wrote: +1 for this type of layout. Saves eye movement and is logical, because as you know individual operators modulate each other by pitch, volume, etc. I hope it will be implemented in Dexed, with maximum readability.
Agreed.
toothnclaw wrote:@peterjsd - it's not a Yamaha or Ph design, and is certainly not proprietary (as long as it's not copied 1:1), just look at the pictures above.
exactly - I was trying to make a point about the irony of 'stealing' a GUI layout in the context of an emulated synth.

anyway here's a quick GUI sketch:
yep its vector-based and there are a few controls missing! but (hopefully) it shows how the interface could be condensed into something more readable & modern.

values in the tuning box are draggable 'knobs'. envelopes are clickable so dragging on the points will change their level / rate (with a readout on the top LCD for exact values). key scaling diagram has right & left depth sliders either side, plus breakpoint slider in the middle, and clicking the different quadrants with switch between lin / exp and + / -. 4 sliders are rate scaling, LFO depth, velocity and operator level.

That looks good.

peterjsd wrote:anyway here's a quick GUI sketch:
That kind of GUI would totally turn me off of using Dexed. It would then only be a preset machine to me, as that kind of GUI does not inspire me at all to do any sound design. It's like looking at a business presentation (those are boring!!!).

The current Dexed GUI looks quite nice to me, has that retro DX7 feel, but augments it with separate controls for all parameters. Definitely something I like to work with. It's inviting to start to turn knobs on it and experiment with the sounds possible.

Mind you, one of the things people didn't like about the DX7 back in the days (I was there), was the fact that there where all kinds of diagrams printed on the faceplate. which made it look way too scientific and seem that you needed an academic degree to program it (which was actually pretty close to reality). Same with Roland's LA-synthesis.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

I like that kind of design : innovative, modernistic, plain and "graphical".
I don't think it is a finished GUI (the two kind of fonts don't fit, for instance), but the right part with the geometric shapes and shades looks good.
It avoids skeumorphism (which is not a bad thing, but not mandatory either), and i don't think it looks like a kitsch Powerpoint presentation ;)

sinkmusic wrote:i don't think it looks like a kitsch Powerpoint presentation ;)
No, indeed. It looks like a pretty expensive powerpoint presentation :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

peterjsd wrote:…anyway here's a quick GUI sketch:
yep its vector-based and there are a few controls missing! but (hopefully) it shows how the interface could be condensed into something more readable & modern.

values in the tuning box are draggable 'knobs'. envelopes are clickable so dragging on the points will change their level / rate (with a readout on the top LCD for exact values). key scaling diagram has right & left depth sliders either side, plus breakpoint slider in the middle, and clicking the different quadrants with switch between lin / exp and + / -. 4 sliders are rate scaling, LFO depth, velocity and operator level.
I'm also dead against this kind of look. Modern – yes. Cool? Yes, I rather think so – in its proper place.

But it's meant to be the front end of a meticulously emulated three decades old classic! The GUI should (IMO) reflect that fact and graphically invoke the 'feel' of a DX7 – along with added controls, of course. I don't think that anyone would applaud a GUI that mimicks the obtuse DX7 editing layout. ;-)

/Joachim
Last edited by Spitfire31 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Could be nice for a brand new FM synth which doesn't emulate anything, but resolutely not for a DX-7 emulation. I like futuristic panels, but here I'd have the feeling to be using a 2030 synth, not a 1983 synth.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

It could have same look as current version but with this kind of layout.

Return to “Instruments”