Favourite musical?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not a musical, but Tommy is a fantastic opera-rock (better than Quadrophoenia, imo).

About Disney movies, I want to add Frozen, since my son watches it every day and I've learned all songs... and I like them... :hihi:

I like all of the ones mentioned so far, but I would like to add Camelot, Man of La Mancha, Evita (stage production, not movie), Guys and Dolls, Pippin, Godspell, Aida, 1776 and Rent. Of course no list would be complete without Terror of Tiny Town, the world's only all-midget, musical western.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

Does "Cannibal: The Musical" count?

For that, what about "South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut"? Those boys did win several Tony Awards for "Book of Mormon".

Parker and Stone can write some good songs.

Just watched All That Jazz again - what a masterpiece! I never get tired of it, always something fresh.

Another vote for Sweeney Todd for me.

"Pretty Women" from that musical is so glorious it nearly brings me to tears every time.

aMUSEd wrote:
osiris wrote: Chicago
I'd like to have seen the original stage show - I'm a huge Bob Fosse fan, but the casting in the film rather put me off - maybe I will try it sometime
I'm really torn about this, I'd like to watch it because the original musical at least was very much influenced by Bob Fosse's choreography but I find that hard to believe of the film version given that the main cast members seem to have been chosen more for their popularity as actors than dancing and singing skills. Bob Fosse was an extremely demanding choreographer and his numbers are always amazing to watch.

I recently saw Belle and Sebastian's Stuart Murdoch's God Help the Girl, which was was ok, but I really struggle with the genre. Song numbers in Disney movies etc. were always a turn off for me when I was a kid, and I always felt the audience in general was thinking "why don't they just get on with the story?" I enjoy a good story well told, and I enjoy good music, but I just don't see any synergy effect from combing the two. Perhaps my "suspension of disbelief" just doesnt stretch far enough.

Two musicals I really like are Hairspray (yes, cheesy, I know!) and Rent. Actually, I enjoy most of the "classics", too. :)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”