a new sound

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Like your work xoxos, definitely nicely experimental ;)
Loom by AIR Music Technology also does spectral modulation, parameterized with controls, may not be the same as what you're offering though

xoxos wrote:
ouroboros wrote:OK, apologies so with the last 3, I get essentially no sound.
Something reads sub 20Hz, but I really cant get sound above that.
Win7 64, FL Studio 11.1.0
"scale" at zero = no sound.. you do that?
yeah, the best I can get is some noise, mostly LF.
Sometimes can get the filter to resonate a bit all turned up.
weird. happens at 44.1 & 48kHz if it matters
..what goes around comes around..

the default patch ought to produce a recognisable signal.. there isn't anything in the sound engine that uses different resources et c. from just about everything i've made for years.. dunno what i can say to you if it doesn't make sound..
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

weird, it doesn't.
Odd problem,sorry. Ill mess around with host settings and see if that does anything.
..what goes around comes around..

you tell me and i'll know too :p

there may be gui changes before 1.0.. the algorithm can produce a continuous variance between mono and stereo, i left it as hard stereo because it already uses loads of cpu.. but it wouldn't take too much more to add that.

the hp.. alg needs a hp so that's a 6dB that could be left off the gui..?

with much bigger processors this alg could be extended.. as is it's stuck with only integer value multiples, maybe in a decade that will be a continuous param too..

say 2 weeks for feedback before finalisation? but def buy now :hyper:
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Just given this a spin. Gonna head over and pick up the beta. Very impressive and unusual work as always.

A few observations from the bird-enabled demo:

Presets don't seem to be loading correctly on Ableton Live 8 (assuming they're not just placeholders). Only the init preset titled 'blank' creates sound from the off. The rest of the presets' have some 'stuck' sliders. All the sliders at the top of the GUI from 'start' to 'MW' (and thus the all-important 'scale' ) as well as the x2 button never move when switching presets. Every other control/button/assignment exhibits some variation when flicking through the presets, as far as I can see.

The filter blows up under certain circumstances, but I don't yet have enough of a feel for what's going on to consistently reproduce that. Loads of energy at Nyquist. It creates rapid fire, asynchronous ultraloud noises that sound amazing through Live's built-in limiter. It only happens when using filter types that allow the very high end through, and backing off an inaudible (to me) notch stops it. The bandpass algorithms do it as well as the lowpass for what it's worth. Anything that lets through the highs. I keep forgetting settings that do it because I'm playing. Tit.

The bug I found in which there were strange mid-range peaks at seemingly random times was just the birds. Also tit.

This is brilliant. Getting so many superb growly noises out of this. Engaging the gate switch and dropping angle to 0/near-0 while tracking a 'tuned' mag produces some superb growls when you modulate the scale function (or the multiples if I'm feeling sick). Dissolving from a big unison tone to the same glitchy 'mag note' for the first time made me actually exclaim "holy shit". Really enjoying playing at the edges of this thing. Some of the tones I get out of this at the intersection between synchronous glitch and unison supersaw remind me a little of ye olde Smokey Joe (well, the tones I used it for anyway).

f**king great.

no presets atm, everything past the first slot is "ghost data" from the architecture.

here's the low down, honest but not the kind of stuff you like to hear from a developer -

for several years i've been working with ~a "tinnitus tolerance," where monitoring would cost me a few days of ringing. i've been limited to the same pair of headphones since 2010 and i've had to be especially prudent with them. since about a fortnight or so ago i've had constant ringing, perhaps due to a cold virus or diet, but not exposure.. because i haven't listened to anything since august.. but i'm at the point where i don't gamble with them, so i don't want to stress them while they've got whatever it is going on.

i've been dealing with tinnitus for ~25 years, fortunately it's not associated with hearing loss but as i get older it takes much less exposure to cause.

i ported the filter from a previous project, but understandably have not rigorously verified each mode. i'm especially sorry if it's exploding.. now that i think of it, i may have omitted some of the structure for non-LP modes..

i'll have a *look* at the filter modes, thanks for letting me know..

rechecked the filter code and noticed the first pole is already limited so theoretically it shouldn't explode to infinity, but there's still a lot of room for loudness. definately if that happens an idea of what was being done to the filter will help.. i used the same implementation in adze and blewm so it's had a lot of non-explodey time.

Sorry to hear about the tinnitus. Shite thing for a musician/developer/anybody to deal with.

Apologies also for not being proactive in helping out here. I haven't had a great deal of enthusiasm for music (or indeed anything) recently. Here's a bank for the Float demo where I've replaced the blank preset with one that causes issues in the filter. All is fine at C#3 and below, while playing D3 and above appears to generate a ton of energy at Nyquist (running the project at 48kHz). Hope this is some help.

Because it's all going on at Nyquist it's fairly ear friendly in terms of explodiness. You wouldn't really know what was going on unless you had the spectral analyser out. The particular preset I've attached below seems to generate no audible sound at D3+, but some other times when it rears its head you just wonder why everything is clipping and sounding distorted (despite the apparently normal volume) until you pull out the analyser and see things going crazy up at Nyquist. Easy enough to avoid in normal use as I've only found an issue when the filter cutoff is made to go 'higher' than it's supposed to if that makes sense.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 5649252168

thanks for the patch. i believe i set the filter cap right at nyquist which gives me a region to explore and likely facile remedy.

also discovered that my module cpu reading in SE seems to be inflated, must be something with my quaint little netbook. task manager is telling me that cpu expenditure is a few magnitudes below what is displayed. i have yet to verify this lol by actually using it, but am looking forward to some headphone time in a day or two.

that could be a really good thing.

took a look at it (really, no audio) and observed high notes (say C5 and up) with a lot of nyquist, but not surprising as it's patched to bandpass there and there's a bunch of high frequency signal energy with the "multiple" at 17. made some adjustments but will wait until i can listen to them (too much b/g noise atm.. headphones would have to be loud) before updating.. :)

i did back the cutoff cap down some to ~95.5% nyquist, which is still above 21k at 44.1k sr, so retains some performance standard. this significantly reduced the gain in the patch, which looks like it creeps up at nyquist in this filter design. but there is a whole lot in the patch itself..

yep it appears cpu of this algorithm is pretty low and not the figure noted in the first post.. i replaced instances of aurora (two interpolated table oscs) in a track with float and the cpu load was about the same.

before i finalise this, may i solicit opinion on the gui shade and colour.. too mismatched, too light? also if anyone would like say 4x oversampling mode.. that's too much cpu for me but perhaps not for you.

i think i'll switch to the continuous mono to stereo function as well.. that should be able to be done without ruining anyone's patches (i know that patching is what is really needed.. and some decent audio..)

new stuff,cool!
Last edited by spacedad on Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

so far no update and no comments :)

soz about the wait, it will 1.0 eventually.

..in the meantime, here's another (free) vst released without being listened to :D

www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=427064

xmas has come early!
haven't got time to try atm,anyone tried them yet?

Return to “Instruments”