Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Yes, the mod matrix is pretty good :) Everything hidden in the top panels is useful.
Apart from being Arturia the only thing that might give me a headache is the missing release on the envelopes. It is automatically the same as decay, which might be quite unusual with some sounds, limiting expression even.

"some modulation behaviors that don't work across the entire keyboard and can't be fixed any other way."
Are those SEM-specific bugs are normal physical limitations?

fluffy_little_something wrote:"some modulation behaviors that don't work across the entire keyboard and can't be fixed any other way."
Are those SEM-specific bugs are normal physical limitations?
No it's what happens naturally with this synth architecture. Some of this is resolved with the new variable Filter KBD Tracking in the latest version.

But using X-mod causes some pitch changes that don't scale evenly across the keyboard and it would be nice to have a way to control that. Sometimes that's an asset when the modulation in the higher keys is faster than in the lower ones, but it would useful in other cases to even that out or alternatively stretch the effect. BTW it's often this pitch change that can't be corrected for by the Tuning control and ends up requiring the patch be offset from concert by semitones.

This kind of scaling can be used for many other parameters. It could also be used to scale envelope times over the keyboard if Key Map could modulate Envelopes either scaling them as a whole or their separate Env segments. One thing I've proposed that's different is to scale more than 1:1 because most mod options typically max out at 1:1 and sometimes you want to increase the the scaling faster:

UPDATED! (...realized a few things... :oops:
It's actually much simpler: what I was calling the "Multiplier" is really the "Amount" control of the Mod Matrix. :dog: :

So first the modulation must always start from 0 to avoid an initial jump. Then when the modulation amount is > 1, the effect of the modulation is now accelerated. The mod values must also be interpolated from the larger scale to the normal one (like they are when the Amount is less than 1:1). And at the destination the parameter is still capped by the parameter max and min values. Simple, no? ;)

It's really all about fine tuning. And BTW, I'm totally with you on the usefulness of separate Decay and Release settings.

Both of these VI emulations are enhanced in different ways and there are things you can do with one that you can't do with the other. For example the SEM has no X-mod and no controls to change the OSC mix separately (other than ENV2) though it can do a mix of waveforms in each osc; and BTW the mod sources in the matrix are rather limited. But despite the differences and the advanced settings Arturia tacked on to the SEM V, I still find the OBXD offers a wider palette of sounds. It's one of the things that fascinates me about this rather deceptively simple-looking synth. ;)

Hey 2dat and all the helpers,

thanks for this awesome sounding synth! It sounds very original! Any chance that this synth will be optimized a bit? Takes quite gigantic amounts of CPU here on Core i7... (Talking about the 19-feb-2014 OSX version, any more recent available anywhere?)

Greetz

Hanz Meyzer wrote:Hey 2dat and all the helpers,

thanks for this awesome sounding synth! It sounds very original! Any chance that this synth will be optimized a bit? Takes quite gigantic amounts of CPU here on Core i7... (Talking about the 19-feb-2014 OSX version, any more recent available anywhere?)

Greetz
Martin has said a couple of times in the thread that the Mac AU version isn't optimised yet. There is currently a huge difference between the VST and the AU versions, as you seem to have discovered.

If you're running Live or Tracktion, just use the VST. Otherwise, have patience. ;-)

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:Martin has said a couple of times in the thread that the Mac AU version isn't optimised yet. There is currently a huge difference between the VST and the AU versions, as you seem to have discovered.

If you're running Live or Tracktion, just use the VST. Otherwise, have patience. ;-)

/Joachim
Thanks for the info. Using already VST here with Renoise (has no freezing functionality).

Spitfire31 wrote:

Greetz
Martin has said a couple of times in the thread that the Mac AU version isn't optimised yet. There is currently a huge difference between the VST and the AU versions, as you seem to have discovered.

/Joachim
Hi, i think there is a small mixup of plugins here. I was referring to the pg8x in its thread when commenting about the AU version. I have no idea whether the same (debugging flags, no optimization) is true also for the obxd.

Cheers,
Martin.

martin_l wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:

Greetz

/Joachim
Hi, i think there is a small mixup of plugins here. I was referring to the pg8x in its thread when commenting about the AU version. I have no idea whether the same (debugging flags, no optimization) is true also for the obxd.

Cheers,
Martin.
Sorry, sorry! :dog:

It's not a small mixup, is a BIG mixup! I have to stop posting when I should have gone to bed three hours earlier. :oops:

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

How do you load the fxb or presets?

You have to manually select it using your daw bank logic...

Regarding my question about OSX optimization: Will there be some approaches here? I also wrote about the Mac VST version, not AU. If the VST is a 1:1 copy from the windows version, my question would be: Could you improve the performance of the plugin, since it's quite cpu consuming ... Thanks!

What would make the OBXD a lot more versatile is a third ADSR ENVELOPE that could be addressed to Oscillator-Pitch or PWM independently. That would for instance open the door to all those classic OBERHEIM XPANDER "Brass Blip" a.k.a. "Brass Bounce" sounds that we all know and love. The XPANDER and The MATRIX 12 were extremely powerful as far as modulation is concerned. ( 5 ADSR Envelopes, 5 LFO's etc.) But just that third ADSR Envelope can take you a LONG way into XPANDER territory...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YovLglTuY

a retrig for the LFO can turn it into a sort of 3rd ENV....especially if some extra shape added.
here's all the feature requests I hope for within the current frame/architecture to turn it into a complete synth.

- sub oscillator (paired to osc 1 but not affecting FM or PW)
- switch for P. ENV to affect only oscillator 2 (as it is now ) or both.
- noise switch for white or pink
- positive and negative modulations for both filter env & mod amount.
- retrig button for LFO
- extra ramp shape for LFO
- selfosc for the 24db filter.

to the ones saying oberheims never had more than 2 oscillators....the Four Voice used by John Carpenter even had 8. In any case a sub would still be technically 2 osc...and if you don't like it don't use it. it won't change the sound of the synth in any way if you don't use it. only issue might be more cpu usage . if it was to add any sgnifant increase in CPU then leave it out....I'll just continue loading 2 instances whenether I need some huge octave bass or something like that....or load up one of my cpu hogging commercial synths.

olikana wrote:to the ones saying oberheims never had more than 2 oscillators....the Four Voice used by John Carpenter even had 8. In any case a sub would still be technically 2 osc...and if you don't like it don't use it. it won't change the sound of the synth in any way if you don't use it. only issue might be more cpu usage . if it was to add any sgnifant increase in CPU then leave it out....I'll just continue loading 2 instances whenether I need some huge octave bass or something like that....or load up one of my cpu hogging commercial synths.
You are confused, I think. The four voice has indeed eight oscilattors, but, as happens with any polyphonic synthesizer, those are for the polyphony, which means you have two PER VOICE, like in any other. That's why eight means actually TWO.
Fernando (FMR)

Cuz_I´m_Broke wrote:What would make the OBXD a lot more versatile is a third ADSR ENVELOPE that could be addressed to Oscillator-Pitch or PWM independently. That would for instance open the door to all those classic OBERHEIM XPANDER "Brass Blip" a.k.a. "Brass Bounce" sounds that we all know and love. The XPANDER and The MATRIX 12 were extremely powerful as far as modulation is concerned. ( 5 ADSR Envelopes, 5 LFO's etc.) But just that third ADSR Envelope can take you a LONG way into XPANDER territory...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YovLglTuY
Hey nice Video showing advanced synthesis technics. Wish I had these 5 Lfos in obxd :P

fmr wrote:you are confused, I think. The four voice has indeed eight oscilattors, but, as happens with any polyphonic synthesizer, those are for the polyphony, which means you have two PER VOICE, like in any other. That's why eight means actually TWO.
Hm, the video on the top tells another story. Actually this guy is using 3 Lfos on one osc and 3 on the other osc, and then 2 for both... He also uses adsr 3 times on one osc. So with this amount of adsr and Lfos, very subtile and fine patches would be possible.

Hanz Meyzer wrote:
fmr wrote:you are confused, I think. The four voice has indeed eight oscilattors, but, as happens with any polyphonic synthesizer, those are for the polyphony, which means you have two PER VOICE, like in any other. That's why eight means actually TWO.
Hm, the video on the top tells another story. Actually this guy is using 3 Lfos on one osc and 3 on the other osc, and then 2 for both... He also uses adsr 3 times on one osc. So with this amount of adsr and Lfos, very subtile and fine patches would be possible.
You are talking about the Xpander in the video, while fmr was pointing at olikana's statement about John Carpenter's four voice..... apples and oranges really :shrug:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Return to “Instruments”