tcStretch

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

woggle wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:I wonder since it starts on transport, isn't it supposed to rewind playing position when you stop transport and start to play from the beginning? It now resumes playback at last point here.
maybe a 'reset play head to start marker' button
Yes, the transport/play/stop/rewind behavior needs some TLC. I have some ideas for improvements in that area but have not settled on anything concrete yet. Stay tuned.

:tu: looks like the reload on start is working thanks!

New version is up. Version 0.4
- important bugfixes
- added Wander controls (see manual for description)
- added Transport controls
- added Direction Controls
- added Jump controls
- added Level control
- improved Pitch shifting implementation
- added Octave Harmony controls

The GUI needs rework .. but it will have to do for now.. :)

** I had to change some parameters in this version so it may not be backward compatible with any saved projects you have with a previous version. Better to finish those projects up before installing this version. **

http://tonecarver.wordpress.com/tcstretch/

Have fun.

ToneCarver wrote:New version is up. Version 0.4
- important bugfixes
- added Wander controls (see manual for description)
- added Transport controls
- added Direction Controls
- added Jump controls
- added Level control
- improved Pitch shifting implementation
- added Octave Harmony controls

The GUI needs rework .. but it will have to do for now.. :)

** I had to change some parameters in this version so it may not be backward compatible with any saved projects you have with a previous version. Better to finish those projects up before installing this version. **

Have fun.
I'm so happy :D

there's a little bit of an attack envelope cutting off transients - this is with no slowing etc ie with no parameters enabled at all as far as I can tell (contour at 0, transient and pure selected). Is there any way to have zero effect and just hear the sound as is?

I've tried at various fft window sizes - what window are you using?

thanks - as is this is incredibly useful to me

woggle wrote:there's a little bit of an attack envelope cutting off transients - this is with no slowing etc ie with no parameters enabled at all as far as I can tell (contour at 0, transient and pure selected). Is there any way to have zero effect and just hear the sound as is?

I've tried at various fft window sizes - what window are you using?

thanks - as is this is incredibly useful to me
The audition button plays the sound without any processing -- but that is probably not what you are asking for. The settings you listed are the right settings for the clearest output. In the 0.4 version having more than one octave output enabled can introduce some phasiness which can lead to smearing and loss of transients, so you might want to check that. And sometimes it is just the nature of the algorithm to get the phases approximate but not exact, which can lead to loss of transient definition.

Is the sound different than in previous versions? I.e., is this something that used to sound okay and is now sounding worse?

How long is the sample ?

The FFT size if fixed at 4096 with an overlap of 4. (There is an FFT Size parameter defined but it has no effect at the moment).

sending you an email with some files now

Wonderful : thank you, ToneCarver !
(now, i am dreaming about a plugin which would be the son -or daughter- or TcStretch and ReGen...;) )

Ah, fun with those random fragments I've built up a little collection of. 8) Couldn't load wavs rendered by FL Studio 11.1.1 for some reason, it took forever and then the result was a long empty thing in tcStretch. :( Are wavs rendered by FL Studio simply not "pure" enough? All that information about BPM and what not confusing poor little tcStretch?

It and/or FL Studio glitched and froze up in a not very nice way just now, just chucka chucka chucka the same few milliseconds of sound glitching away while FL Studio froze up. I was tweaking the transient playback time. The nominal playback time was recieving data from the Fruity Peak Controller, that is a envelope follower and LFO plugin within FL Studio. Also FL Studio was set to auto backup and one was made around the same time I tweaked that parameter and a couple of seconds before it all froze up. Perhaps something f-ed up as it was recieving data here and there and the host backing up at the same time? As I recalled the backup tcStretch no longer started to make any sound at host playback, though the setting in itself was retained. Clicking it off and then on again made it happilly skip around in my little semirandom noises though. :ud: Repeatable, recalling the project after saving it "properly" I have to switch the host sync off and on again to make it work.

32 bit tcStretch in 32-bit FL Studio 11.1.1, Windows 7 64-bit

Oh, could you consider adding a "position" parameter? When setting a "position" handle to some value it will skip to that part of the sound upon a change in value, and it could also be used to alter where in the sound we want it to start playback? Wouldn't mind some choices for fade in and fade out when playback starts and stops either. :wink:

Keep up the fascinating work. :tu:

New version is up: version 0.4a
- bug fix for improperly restored transport controls
- reworked transport control behavior
- update to playback engine for better clarity at non-stretched playback rate

V-GER wrote:Ah, fun with those random fragments I've built up a little collection of. 8) Couldn't load wavs rendered by FL Studio 11.1.1 for some reason, it took forever and then the result was a long empty thing in tcStretch. :( Are wavs rendered by FL Studio simply not "pure" enough? All that information about BPM and what not confusing poor little tcStretch?
There are a handful of WAV format variations - tcStretch can handle some of them, but not all of them (yet). I have some wavs on my machine that tcStretch fails to read. I just haven't tackled that issue yet.

How large is file file? Number of channels? Sample rate? If it was busy for a while then tcStretch propably understood the format okay and failed during the load and/or analyze steps. Did you see the progress meter popup or did it not even get that far?
V-GER wrote:It and/or FL Studio glitched and froze up in a not very nice way just now, just chucka chucka chucka the same few milliseconds of sound glitching away while FL Studio froze up. I was tweaking the transient playback time. The nominal playback time was recieving data from the Fruity Peak Controller, that is a envelope follower and LFO plugin within FL Studio. Also FL Studio was set to auto backup and one was made around the same time I tweaked that parameter and a couple of seconds before it all froze up. Perhaps something f-ed up as it was recieving data here and there and the host backing up at the same time? As I recalled the backup tcStretch no longer started to make any sound at host playback, though the setting in itself was retained. Clicking it off and then on again made it happilly skip around in my little semirandom noises though. :ud: Repeatable, recalling the project after saving it "properly" I have to switch the host sync off and on again to make it work.
There should not be an issue with doing playback while the host is doing a backup .. but I'll have a re-look to make sure everything is tidy.

The 0.4 version has a bug that prevents the transport controls from restoring correctly. There is an update, v0.4a, with a fix for that (and updated transport control behavior).
V-GER wrote:Oh, could you consider adding a "position" parameter? When setting a "position" handle to some value it will skip to that part of the sound upon a change in value, and it could also be used to alter where in the sound we want it to start playback? Wouldn't mind some choices for fade in and fade out when playback starts and stops either. :wink:

Keep up the fascinating work. :tu:
Thanks. Yup, good ideas. They are on the to do list, though I don't know how long it might be before they actually get to done :)

ToneCarver wrote:How large is file file? Number of channels? Sample rate? If it was busy for a while then tcStretch propably understood the format okay and failed during the load and/or analyze steps. Did you see the progress meter popup or did it not even get that far?
I tried two different wavs rendered by FL Studio so far. One was 181 MB, 32-bit float, standard 2 channels, sample rate 44100 Hz. The other also 32-bit float and 2-channels 44100 Hz, 171 bpm. The first I tried has 370 marker points and a variable BPM (some horrible, experimental mess that ultimately not even it's creator could love), the other none of that but a fixed BPM. Both have loop points at the very beginning and end as all FL Studio renders have. The progress meter popped up allright, it just took a really long time (though I may have been a bit impatient) and CPU went way up. Also it halfway froze up while at 100 % for a while (perhaps close to half an hour or so), not one of those freezes where FL Studio goes pale and Windows gives me an message about it freezing up but just enough to get a spinning mousewheel in FL Studio. Perhaps this is normal for files of a certain size though.
ToneCarver wrote:There should not be an issue with doing playback while the host is doing a backup .. but I'll have a re-look to make sure everything is tidy.

The 0.4 version has a bug that prevents the transport controls from restoring correctly. There is an update, v0.4a, with a fix for that (and updated transport control behavior).
Might as well be FL Studio acting up for all I know, and I'm pretty sure it's a rare issue. But thanks for looking into it and being so dedicated to the stability of this crazy baby, and thanks for considering my ideas. :tu: Off to download the latest update... :wheee:

V-GER wrote:
ToneCarver wrote:How large is file file? Number of channels? Sample rate? If it was busy for a while then tcStretch propably understood the format okay and failed during the load and/or analyze steps. Did you see the progress meter popup or did it not even get that far?
I tried two different wavs rendered by FL Studio so far. One was 181 MB, 32-bit float, standard 2 channels, sample rate 44100 Hz. The other also 32-bit float and 2-channels 44100 Hz, 171 bpm.
Thanks for the detailed info. There is indeed a bug in the way that tcStretch imports 32-bit floating point PCM files :oops: I'll put a new version up after running some more tests to confirm the squash.

Okay, new version is up: version 0.4b
- correction for importing WAV files with 32 bit or 64 bit floating point sample format

Oh boy.. just discovered this, going to check it out tonight! :wheee: :wheee: :hyper:

Gonna do some dark ambient destruction with this thing... heh... :hihi:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”