Women in the music industry...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

trimph1 wrote:Well, the idea that women are not attracted to technology is as old as the hills.

I have known quite a few up here who are very much involved with various tech projects.

This whole thread could end up in HPC soon...
There are always exceptions. It's the same with soccer. Most men are attracted to soccer but a few of them aren't. For example, I'm not a big soccer fan at all, only occasionally I watch a few games of the Europa Cup and the World Cup, and I don't know the names of all players in the German team.

And despite I'm a man, I'm not big into programming, either, I wouldn't have the patience to solve every single bug... I nearly went crazy when I programmed my homepage because I thought it should be finished in 10 minutes but it took many hours...

Tricky-Loops wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote: it's easier for a man to leave his children alone with their mother than for a woman because if a woman does it she will be called a "evil mother" ("Rabenmutter" in German)...
Im glad i dont live in germany
I knew that you would come in just to attack me again...you're worse than a great white shark...

Now let's make it clear: There are much more female lone parents than male lone parents, and this in all parts of the world, even in the UK. So there seems to be something wrong.
Oh... your saying leave... not leave at home with.... either way, neither parent should be called evil. Ppl have to live. ...and for the record, a single man can raise children just as well as a single woman.

trimph1 wrote:Well, the idea that women are not attracted to technology is as old as the hills.

I have known quite a few up here who are very much involved with various tech projects.
The idea may be old, but that doesn't make it wrong, though. And how does the fact that you "have known quite a few up here who are very much involved with various tech projects" prove something against? I said "women in general", not "all women". Of course there are "some" women which are attracted, and involved, in technology. They are a minority, though, and the ones that didn't, were NOT because someone or something prevented them to.
Fernando (FMR)

Most women just don't seem to care much about technology. Male and female brains work differently, that is no secret. Maybe one is more interested in this, the other in that.
It is interesting that my country produces a lot of excellent female engineers in areas such as biotechnology. But that already shows at school, where girls traditionally show a lot of interest in biology.

fmr wrote:

The idea may be old, but that doesn't make it wrong, though. And how does the fact that you "have known quite a few up here who are very much involved with various tech projects" prove something against? I said "women in general", not "all women". Of course there are "some" women which are attracted, and involved, in technology. They are a minority, though, and the ones that didn't, were NOT because someone or something prevented them to.
+1

I don't think that the bad patriarchal society is preventing women from making a career in technology or science. For example, I wouldn't care at all if U-He synths were programmed by a woman, as long as the synths are good. I just think that only a few women would have the interest in sitting behind a computer 10 hours every day, for 2 years, to program a great synth. Most women prefer to work with people, not with computers only.

A long time ago when computers came into being, several key programmers were women. But from the 70s and 80s on, girls and women lost interest in programming.

fluffy_little_something wrote:A long time ago when computers came into being, several key programmers were women. But from the 70s and 80s on, girls and women lost interest in programming.
BTW, isn't it strange that the first washing machines - aimed at women - were only developed by men? :o

Tricky-Loops wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:A long time ago when computers came into being, several key programmers were women. But from the 70s and 80s on, girls and women lost interest in programming.
BTW, isn't it strange that the first washing machines - aimed at women - were only developed by men? :o
whats strange about that? Look at the era... very few women in industry then. The world was incredibly male dominated.

Well, this topic has really devolved into a sad mess of perpetuating stereotypes.

Since we all love anecdotes so much:

My son is really into Lego, and building mechanical, kinetic things with his hands. He's interested in robots, but not the programming behind them. He thinks 3D printing is cool, but doesn't care about building models to print. His favorite subject is history. Mostly he likes weapons that can shoot projectiles.

My daughter is really into modular synthesizers, software development, 3D modeling, and math. She is self taught on a bunch of instruments, taught herself to read sheet music and to play Fur Elise rather well. She is currently teaching herself Java programming.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:My daughter is really into modular synthesizers, software development, 3D modeling, and math. She is self taught on a bunch of instruments, taught herself to read sheet music and to play Fur Elise rather well. She is currently teaching herself Java programming.
When can we expect her new modular software Java synth? 8)

Well, capability is certainly not the issue, girls tend to be better at math and physics at school. Still, your daughter is the exception to the rule, which is that girls and women are by and large not nearly as interested in tech stuff.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tricky-Loops wrote:
deastman wrote:My daughter is really into modular synthesizers, software development, 3D modeling, and math. She is self taught on a bunch of instruments, taught herself to read sheet music and to play Fur Elise rather well. She is currently teaching herself Java programming.
When can we expect her new modular software Java synth? 8)
Nah, that's a dead end. Java is just a stepping stone to C++. Then I can put her to work designing the synths I want! :evil:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

The real question is...

Why are there not more men involved in sewing?

deastman wrote:Well, this topic has really devolved into a sad mess of perpetuating stereotypes.
Unfortuntaley your one example does not prove otherwise. Neither did my example some pages before. But human progression over thousands of years should maybe a bit of an eye opener. Unless you want to close your eyes, and make what you believe the ultimate truth of course. Or you want to swim with the stream of political correctness and good humanship nowadays.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”