Poll: Have you changed your main host(s) in 2014?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Have you changed your main host(s) in 2014?

No
56%
Yes
38%
Other
6%

Total votes: 176

RELATED
PRODUCTS

No. Still using FL as my main DAW...

No. But I have tried to change to other DAW programs over the years, just because others are supposedly better and FL Studio is not serious or is a "toy"...but I always fail miserably, and (gladly) return to FL Studio.

Been using FL Studio for years. Big fan of it. Very stable, extremely customizable workflow, generally pretty fast, supports VST3, etc etc. I gave a run of Ableton, Bitwig, Reaper and Renoise but I think I'm just gonna stick with FL. I'm comfortable with it and it's certainly mature enough of a DAW to benefit from long term use.

If I were to switch I think I'd give Bitwig a good go, some of the features it has are pretty sweet and there are a few things that struck me as immediately superior to FL when I checked it out.

Whatever, FL Studio is a f**king sweet DAW, Image-Line are awesome devs IMO. I got no reason to change :).

Switched from Cubase to Logic earlier in the year.

i was starting 5 years ago with seriously making music on pc. i started with donated old daws. and was hopping a lot from nuendo/cubase to live/reason. but the first daw i realy bought was FLstudio 2013, i work with it half a year, then tasting sonar x3, bought it, working a year since 2014. and now starting to work with Studio One. And i love it. It seems to be that one, my art to work goes in the right direction. but sometimes, some things, i do in FL or X3. I also own live lite, but this version from live is "junk" to use. so i stay with S1, FL and X3.
Was Große tun, beschwatzen gern die Kleinen.

Currently trying to get deeper into Cubase 7.5 and so far it looks great. Finding new things almost every day.
For example the StepDesigner and BeatDeigner plugins are quite cool and it is nice that you also export their data into a MIDI track.

Could happen that it replaces Live 9 as my main host in the near future but this is not sure yet.

So far the only thing i did not like in Cubase was that you could not save fxb/fxp files with VST2 plugins (only import them). This would be necessary for synths that have no internal browser (e.g. Waldorf Edition, OBXD).
For saving fxb/fxp with such synths i would need a second host but would also have Studio One 2.6 for that.
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

No, I still using Cubase and this will not change because I see not a real competitor.
IMO a DAW is something I would only change under very rare circumstances eg. it's very unstable, not supported anymore or the developer runs out of business. I'm not a DAW tester, I'm a musician.

I'm of Abraham Lincoln: It is not best to swap horses while crossing the river :hihi:
Last edited by 4damind on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just remebered that my first host that could use VSTs was Cubase SE 1 so using Cubase 7.5 (after several years of using Live from v7 to v9) is like coming back where i started. A lot has happened between Cubase SE and version 7.5... :)
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Used Cubase for some years back in the day, which I never really liked that much (in comparison to Studio Vision for instance; see other threads about forced DAW migrations...), then stopped doing music in a computer for quite a while. I've been getting back into it some this year, though not as much as I'd like, and because I'm not full time in music any more, wanted something easy to work with but still reasonably capable. I ended up with Studio One, which I do like more or less. I has some missing bits (inability to patch a track to multiple mixer channels being one) and silliness, but it's stable, and generally quick to work in.

I started almost 7 years ago with cubase LE, couldnt learn it, then reaper for two years, made very little with it. I started using Ableton Live around 2009, I knew and I had tried it before but havent considered it a lot, then one day when I was buying acontroller the seller offer me a Standard version very very cheap (170 USD, here in Mexico people doesnt buy software, piracy runs rampant, even on streets people sell burned cd's with cracks, so I suppose the store was trying to get something back) and slowly grew on me.

After getting Suite, Push and some packs I am heavily invested on Live, I like it a lot and I am enjoying making music much more.

I don't think I will change it, maybe for a OTB set up, but that will take years to built.
dedication to flying

Haven't changed. But, as Avid becomes more convoluted and complicated about the future of Pro Tools, who knows what could happen...

Yippee!! :party: I upgraded my Sonar Studio to Producer from JRR Shop for $100 :D That means more time will be spent in Sonar and much less desire to change the DAW :) (especially I can't sell it :hihi:) So, next poll I will vote "NO, I haven't change my DAW" :band2:

Waiting for the Redeem code now :help:

Changed from Studio One ( seriously messed up the Mac version ) to Logic 10 which to my great surprise is miles ahead of Logic 9 ( which I hated ). Would still use Studio One again if Presonus would even acknowledge the bugs they have created and make an attempt to fix them. Used to be great , with a very fast and creative workflow, don't know what is happening there.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I can tell you. They lost some people on their staff, and people that represent the company publicly criticize anyone who isn't a fanboi. It all started right around the time of the new forum. Case closed. Maybe they're working on an updated version right now, but they are not really diligent about bugs.

It wasn't exactly in 2014, but in december 2013. Changed from Cubase to Reaper, fed up with the Steiny way to deal with ever lasting bugs/issues :
- The Generic Remote devices behavior,
- Mediabay,
- The broken VST 2.x format support (FXP/FXB format),
- The trackpresets unable to cope with multiouts VSTis,
- The clumsy windows and workspaces management ('maximize' state of the project window, anyone ?).

These, with the new ones that appeared with the 7.x version :
- The horrible white masked cursor,
- The disappearance of several UI options,
- The horrible MixConsole with its toyish look, the clickfest and the broken key commands support when using it,
- The useless Remote Control Editor when a generic remote device is involved,
- The endless time taken to load a project using sample based VSTis.

Enough is enough : actually, the only things that I'm missing, using Reaper, are the score editor and the retrospective record features. I have found solutions for everything else that I thought would be missing at first. This, with the several things I found using Reaper (stretch markers, actions handling, themes and customization, portable installation, system resources taken : list not limitated...), make me think that the switch is definitive, unless a marvellous surprise is coming with C8, but I no longer expect it...
AMD R7 3700X/Asus Prime X470-Pro/32Gb/W10Pro(64)/RME Fireface UCX+ADA8200
Cubase Pro 10.5.20/EmulatorX3 and several other VSTis
VMK-188+/Akai MPD32/Akai ME-30P/05-RW,D-110,TX-802/pre MIDI stuff...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”