Women in the music industry...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deastman wrote:
chalaby wrote:
deastman wrote:I understand that this topic is well intentioned, but I fail to see what can be gained by listing anecdotal examples of women working in the music industry. We all know that the industry is discriminatory and chauvinistic. No list is going to change that.
I disagree. Shout outs to women who have fought through the chauvinism and discrimination you describe provide worthwhile examples for both men and women. Personally I would have rather have had someone like Angela Merkel as president of the US, than George W. Bush. She studied physics in college and I wonder what she had to go through before she became Chancellor of Germany. As far as I know she doesn't play an instrument, but she's a great example for young women who might think about a career in politics.
I do see your point. I would just prefer to see these individuals celebrated for the quality of their work rather than their gender. It's like earlier in this thread when someone listed Wendy Carlos, and someone else predictably followed that up with "not strictly female"... as if she hasn't had to deal with even more discrimination and public ridicule than most biological women! I agree that, as a discriminated minority in many industries, it is important to acknowledge and celebrate the contributions of women. I'm just not sure that a list of everyone we can think of who happens to be somehow involved in the industry is the best way to accomplish this goal. Anyway, I seem to be in the minority here, so I'll just bow out now and let the list continue unhindered.
I completely agree.

And it's so very sad that women have largely been chased out of the industry (they were well represented in the beginning, before electronic music had a "public face"). Threads like this, in which men assert who are the "real women" and who is "hot" or "not" really don't help. Women do allsorts of things, including abstract arts and sciences, it's just you're likely never to hear of many of them because of the systems in which these things must be promoted.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote: And it's so very sad that women have largely been chased out of the industry (they were well represented in the beginning, before electronic music had a "public face").
Not that i understand much about these things, but do you care to elaborate how this has been the case? How have women been chased out of the industry?

And btw, i find the piece about Merkel completely exaggerated. I think a big part of the problem is that women nowadays can always blame the chauvinistic male dominated world we live in, when they feel that they can't progress in any way. It's not like we prevent women from getting into science here... there is naturally a difference generally between the way women and men choose. Denying that is denying human nature. That doesn't mean it HAS to be that way of course. Otherwise we wouldn't have women who do car meachanic job, or who are electricians , to name 2 extremes. But generally, you will find much less women in these jobsfor example, while you will find much more in the social area.

I firmly believe that, from a very early age, girl children are actively and passively steered away from many pursuits and interests because "girls don't do that". It happens in the sciences and it happens in the arts.

Actually my brother tried to raise his 2 children, a girl and a boy, that way, by letting them choose their interests. Nothing to do... the boy loved playing with cars, the girl liked ponies... as i wrote, it doesn't have to be that way, there are shades inbetween. But that's mostly exceptions to the rule. You also see it on this site. The amount of women fiddling with synthesizers is very, very low. It's a techie stuff, mostly attracting guys.

It's a fact that most women are more interested in social jobs than in technical jobs, that's because of their role in the society.

For example, there are more girls interesting in singing than in fiddling around with computers, synthesizers and other technical stuff.

In our industrialized countries (and I don't mean Saudi-Arabia :P), women are free to do what they want to do. If they were really interested in computers and car mechanics, there would be more women than men in these jobs.

But women are more interested in people and society. Men are more interested in abstract technical stuff.

If Sendy were a man, she wouldn't have more success in the music biz...
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:Actually my brother tried to raise his 2 children, a girl and a boy, that way, by letting them choose their interests. Nothing to do... the boy loved playing with cars, the girl liked ponies...
And that's okay! Society doesn't get better if we forced girls to play with cars and boys with ponies...

robojam wrote:Are we really having this conversation in 2014?

Of course there are. My thoughts and comments are that they are exactly the same as their male counterparts only of a different gender. What else is there?

Theres that awkward moment when she catches you looking down her top...

Of course there are. My thoughts and comments are that they are exactly the same as their male counterparts only of a different gender. What else is there?
OK, so why aint more women given focus then?
http://www.kvraudio.com/focus

Numanoid wrote:

OK, so why aint more women given focus then?
http://www.kvraudio.com/focus
What do you think?

3rd wave feminist's I can't stand, I've got zero problems with working as an equal alongside a person of the opposite gender.
I have done before and probably will do so again and it never really crossed my mind, Its working and that simple.

Sadly it would these days though with all the social justice warrior bullshit

Its the patriarchy

It'd be amusing right now to work on say a video game score with one of the 3rd wave feminazi's :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqHYzYn3WZw

and not a 'fact' that comes out of their vile, told what to say by sick mommas mouth's is obviously not at all true, Each one has been demolished countless times but modern day feminist's don't care about the truth

I think many overlooking obvious problems. When it comes to live performance, woman is weaker and needs a man to help her haul the gear. I, for example can not move my 88 keys hammer action Motif keyboard. I live in Virginia. Most bands here play metal and they are groups of guys. They do not let some chick to share the stage with them. Unless you are in country or singer-songwriter genres, it is difficult to get gigs. In fact- it is difficult to get gigs with electronic act, period.

Female musicians need more support to break through and we don't get this support. Women responsible for the children and household. My partner works in the theater as a sound engineer. He takes off every evening to the gig. I need a babysitter to come out. Also- babysitter can be arranged, I do not know why less women play keyboards. Many girls studying piano- more girls than boys. I studied piano growing up, and then I switched to the keyboards. This makes sense. I would think more girls would switch. Finances. Keyboards used to be very expensive. Now software synths changing it. But for 16 years old girl, it is hard to afford music studio. No future. Record companies do not sign female electronic musicians. Why? Who knows. Yes, it is true- my music is not that advanced, compared to some artists. But that is because I went to nursing schools year after year, because music was not paying bills. If I got signed a record deal and got support in 1999 when I released my first electronic album, I would be keep producing music, have more experience and more money. I was only able to release 4 albums because I was sharing my time between nursing schools and music production. This year- I produced only 2 songs. Check out my Soundcloud page in signature. I have no time to get good, as some guys who making money out of it, traveling and burning their lives at the night clubs and concert halls. I dont get that type of experience or excitement. My life is about raising my son, taking him to the piano and chorus rehearsals and hope that he will make it one day for me.

SODDI wrote:I firmly believe that, from a very early age, girl children are actively and passively steered away from many pursuits and interests because "girls don't do that". It happens in the sciences and it happens in the arts.
If my coworkers knew how head-in-the-clouds, emotional and sensitive I am, they'd probably call me "girly" or "gay". That's just the social norm...

I don't know many or any, at all. But I have great respect for Imogen Heap. Mixes, masters, writes and records her own stuff, and is one of the best in the industry...

Well...I know of a few...Opeth, Electric Wizard, L7, groups like Therion and such. My wife did it back in the late 1960's...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

In truth, this thread is a bit of a non-runner.
For a start, the original post is way too vague, and also it's mostly blokes (like me) commenting about women.

(And in truth, my Wendy Carlos suggestion for pioneering electronic female musician was genuine but my SuBo suggestion clearly wasn't - although tbf, Boyle has done brilliantly for herself as a wonderful singer).

I could add a serious note about women in the industry having to fight against not only chauvinism but also some other women as well, but what's the point??

So instead I'll just add some of my favourite top female performers here who haven't yet been mentioned:
Kate Bush, Suzanne Vega, Bjork and Beth Gibbons.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”