Ableton Push support is here

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Push

I just wanted to formally add a request that came up in another thread about using the 64 grid buttons as direct selectors for device panel pages. Like how the Machine script uses the 16 pads to instantly select a bank of parameters, it would be great if the Push pads did the same, only you'd have 64 to chose from, which is awesome because then your plug-in could have up to 512 parameters instantly accessible by selecting one of 64 banks (device panel pages). I think if there was a modifier button that you hold while in the user pages, which turns the 64 pads into bank selectors that would be perfect.

The one difficulty I guess is seeing the page names for all those 64 banks on the screen. If I recall correctly there are 4 rows on the display in 8 possible columns. So i guess you could perhaps display the names of the top 4 x 8 banks simultaneously anyways.Then perhaps a toggle could switch the display to showing the bottom 4 x 8 banks. That would give instant access to 64 x 8 (=512) parameters at one touch, with one additional touch to see the page names for parameters 257-512, which often wouldn't be needed anyways.

So the workflow would be: Chose the use pages to display (which normally has a next previous button to scroll one page at a time. But now in this page there would be somewhere, perhaps the shift button, that would be held to make the 64 pads selectable. While holding this button, another button toggles with a press (not held) to switch the display from the names of pages 1-32 (top 32 pads) to 33-64 (bottom 64 pads).

Good idea? I think it would be fantastic for large plug-ins.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I just wanted to formally add a request that came up in another thread about using the 64 grid buttons as direct selectors for device panel pages.
Navigation the Ableton way is on my list and will appear soon (will need to finish the 1.1 compatible version first). I am not sure if the pad selection is such a good idea (you named the problems yourself) but will think about it when I implement it.

Ableton way is fine. But only for ableton with the 128 parameter limit. I would rather use the two rows of button under the screen. The bottom row for selecting 8 banks of 8 pages each and the upper row to select pages ( 64 pages in total). So when u are in bank 1 you can select bank 2 and see the names of pages before selecting, and of course a different color for the selected bank. Clear and simple. Shift could access functions like device on/off and maybe shift device left/right. Seems pretty logic to me.
Cheers and thanks again for your work.

stamp wrote:Ableton way is fine. But only for ableton with the 128 parameter limit. I would rather use the two rows of button under the screen. The bottom row for selecting 8 banks of 8 pages each and the upper row to select pages ( 64 pages in total). So when u are in bank 1 you can select bank 2 and see the names of pages before selecting, and of course a different color for the selected bank. Clear and simple. Shift could access functions like device on/off and maybe shift device left/right. Seems pretty logic to me.
That way wouldn't be bad either. As you say the Ableton way is ok but actually not good at all for any plug-in with more than 128 parameters, which is almost all synthesizers actually. Your way, if I understand correctly, you first select which 8 banks names are visible using 8 buttons at the bottom and then select the bank to control using the top eight buttons. So it would also access 8 x 8 x 8 parameters (=512). Wouldn't be bad, but of course it means that accessing any bank requires 2 button presses, not including whatever button needs to be pressed to access the bank views. By using the grid buttons to access different banks, assuming that you could display at least the top 32 bank names at a time, then for most plug-ins it's just the one button press to directly chose the bank, rather then selecting the view of 8 bank names first before hitting the desired bank. Most plug-ins do have under 256 parameters so you would usually be able to pick the bank you need as it would be displayed within the first 32 banks. One simple toggle displays the 32 banks for the next 256 parameters. So I'd prefer this as you wouldn't have to pick between 8 different pages of 8 banks.

Using the grid buttons would be just like the Machine script, which uses the 16 pads to select the bank.

I think both ways are ok. A plus for the 8x8 system is that you have the matrix functions not altered, so you can change page to edit and play notes at the same time.

Both methods could be implemented. Using one when you play and the other to sculpt a synth with an already playing midi clip. Why not?

Biggest update ever is online! Fully compatible now with Bitwig 1.1.

Get it from: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html
Also see the updated Wiki documentation.

Enjoy!

Changelist:

- Performance increase.
- To change the play views press note and select one from the display.
- New sequencer: Raindrops
- Toggle monitor and auto monitor: Keep pressed Select in Volume, Pan or Track mode. First row toggles Monitor, second row Auto Monitor.
- Added display of note range when changing octaves in drum sequencer.
- Added display of note range when changing octaves in note sequencer.
- Note range in note sequencer can now also be changed with the octave up/down buttons.
- Polyphonic Aftertouch of Pads in Play mode is now sent to Bitwig
- Frame mode (long press Master) allows now to change Arranger and Mixer settings. Also the layout states are now displayed.
- Shift+Browse toggles Inspector.
- Quantize button is working but only if clip is already focused in editor.
- Replaced tap tempo with new native function.
- Add Track: Adds a new instrument track
- Shift+Add Track: Adds a new effect track
- Select+Add Track: Adds a new audio track
- Ribbon, Accent and Scale settings are now editable in the Preferences dialog.
- The LEDs of the ribbon are now used depending on the selected ribbon mode
- Added crossfade mode (press Volume twice)
- Added crossfade parameter to track mode. Removed 1 send channel.
- In Session mode the ribbon controls the crossfader.
- In Note and Drum Sequencer you can now change the loop.
- Press Clip to modify clip properties (loop, play, etc.)
- Hold Delete and Touch Encoder to reset value works now in all device modes.
- Hold Delete and Touch Encoder to reset value in Volume, Pan, Send and Track modes.
- Switching tracks remembers the last selected view (play, drum, sequencer). Also a clip on that track will be selected.
- Fixed and improved parameter page selection and display.
- The Fixed Length selection is now activated with a normal button press. No long press required.
- Preset browser: Display of the next 3 presets. Hold Shift + control buttons to move quickly through the presets and categories.
- On track change the clip at the same index as on the previous track is selected.
- Added [Shift + Metronome] to toggle metronome ticks.
- Added [Shift + Automation] Toggles the clip launcher automation write enabled state of the transport.
- Added [Select + Automation] Resets any automation overrides.
- Added [Delete + Encoder0, Encoder1 touch] MasterMode reset volume, pan.
- Added [Delete + Encoder9] reset Master track volume in any mode.
- Bugfix: Device mode buttons did not work when in Session view.
- Added [Shift + Ribbon] to center the crossfader.
- Switched functionality of Duplicate and Double buttons
- Bugfix: Enabled state of Groove had to be pressed twice.
- BugFix: Accent toggle was reversed.

enabling/disabling notes in Sequencer Mode is buggy, try to enable two or more notes then disable them in the same order as they were pressed/enabled, great script otherwise big cheers for it :hail:
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Seems like velocity is inverted in play mode. In drum mode it works like expected but when you change cell to edit in device mode the matrix lights turn all off, matrix is still functional but no lights. The lights come back when you go back to the drum machine.
Cheers!

Edit: velocity is ok. It's a bitwig bug.
Last edited by stamp on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
stamp wrote:Ableton way is fine. But only for ableton with the 128 parameter limit. I would rather use the two rows of button under the screen. The bottom row for selecting 8 banks of 8 pages each and the upper row to select pages ( 64 pages in total). So when u are in bank 1 you can select bank 2 and see the names of pages before selecting, and of course a different color for the selected bank. Clear and simple. Shift could access functions like device on/off and maybe shift device left/right. Seems pretty logic to me.
That way wouldn't be bad either. As you say the Ableton way is ok but actually not good at all for any plug-in with more than 128 parameters, which is almost all synthesizers actually. Your way, if I understand correctly, you first select which 8 banks names are visible using 8 buttons at the bottom and then select the bank to control using the top eight buttons. So it would also access 8 x 8 x 8 parameters (=512). Wouldn't be bad, but of course it means that accessing any bank requires 2 button presses, not including whatever button needs to be pressed to access the bank views. By using the grid buttons to access different banks, assuming that you could display at least the top 32 bank names at a time, then for most plug-ins it's just the one button press to directly chose the bank, rather then selecting the view of 8 bank names first before hitting the desired bank. Most plug-ins do have under 256 parameters so you would usually be able to pick the bank you need as it would be displayed within the first 32 banks. One simple toggle displays the 32 banks for the next 256 parameters. So I'd prefer this as you wouldn't have to pick between 8 different pages of 8 banks.

Using the grid buttons would be just like the Machine script, which uses the 16 pads to select the bank.
Yes. But you don`t need any modifier. The bank and page select are always visible.

Thanx for all your hard work on this!

xbitz wrote:enabling/disabling notes in Sequencer Mode is buggy, try to enable two or more notes then disable them in the same order as they were pressed/enabled, great script otherwise big cheers for it :hail:
I have had this same problem with the Maschine script. You are saying you have to press them like 2 times to get them to deselect right? As you can see, it is toggling the correct notes off/on in Bitwig but, the controller is not getting the correct callbacks with note updates.

I thought I was going crazy when I was making the step sequencer in Maschine, but I think this was a bug introduced in 1.1 on Bitwig's side.

Mike
Michael Schmalle
http://www.teotigraphix.com
Surfing on sine waves

Maschine4Bitwig - Studio, MK2, MikroMK2, MK1
http://www.teotigraphix.com/bitwig/maschine

TeotiGraphix wrote:
xbitz wrote:enabling/disabling notes in Sequencer Mode is buggy, try to enable two or more notes then disable them in the same order as they were pressed/enabled, great script otherwise big cheers for it :hail:
I have had this same problem with the Maschine script. You are saying you have to press them like 2 times to get them to deselect right? As you can see, it is toggling the correct notes off/on in Bitwig but, the controller is not getting the correct callbacks with note updates.

I thought I was going crazy when I was making the step sequencer in Maschine, but I think this was a bug introduced in 1.1 on Bitwig's side.

Mike
Same here.

TeotiGraphix wrote: I have had this same problem with the Maschine script. You are saying you have to press them like 2 times to get them to deselect right? As you can see, it is toggling the correct notes off/on in Bitwig but, the controller is not getting the correct callbacks with note updates.
I can reproduce this as well. The behaviour is that you get the update for the note deletion when you delete or insert another note.

Did you report it already?

moss wrote:
TeotiGraphix wrote: I have had this same problem with the Maschine script. You are saying you have to press them like 2 times to get them to deselect right? As you can see, it is toggling the correct notes off/on in Bitwig but, the controller is not getting the correct callbacks with note updates.
I can reproduce this as well. The behaviour is that you get the update for the note deletion when you delete or insert another note.

Did you report it already?
I did say something to Dom and Volker but Dom said it was working fine on his end and that is where it was left. I have been having problems with the Maschine's Window driver I almost thought it was me, I did try the Push last week and told them i was noticing the same behavior now on the Push.

Since you know exactly what the problem is, just send him an email. I couldn't pin down exactly what was happening since I was thinking it was my computer or something (since Dom said the MK2 was working).

Mike
Michael Schmalle
http://www.teotigraphix.com
Surfing on sine waves

Maschine4Bitwig - Studio, MK2, MikroMK2, MK1
http://www.teotigraphix.com/bitwig/maschine

Return to “Controller Scripting”