Spire or Dune2 - which one sounds more like a Virus?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aiynzahev wrote:The Virus is awesome. If you really know what it's capable of and you want it for what it does best, there is no VST that sounds the same. Neither Dune2 or Spire sound anything like the TI, but at least they give you the tools to get the hyper saw feature.

Neither are nearly as capable when it comes to wavetables AKAIK, especially not Spire. That is one of the big highlights of the TI.

My advice if you want the Virus, sell some soft-synths, save some money and buy the snow on ebay. At least then you'll finally know.
Words of wisdom here folks. It's the truth. I tried doing this for the JP8080 back in the day, there just isn't any synth that really sounds 100% like another synth, the best answer is simply to save up and buy it :) I eventually bought a JP8080 :D :D

cryophonik wrote:
4damind wrote:I use Dune2 and Spire very often and have also a Virus XL in the rack...
Dune2 sounds more polished, Spire has a bit more this rough sound like the Virus. IMO Spire sounds a bit closer to the Virus.

(But to be honest, I use Dune2 or Spire much, much, much more than my Virus :D)
I had a Virus XL for a few months and didn't use it much, either. The interface is just not inviting, so it sorta defeats the point of using hardware IMO. As mentioned, there are plenty of software alternatives that sound as good and are much easier to use than the XL. So, I replaced it with a Polar TI and, later, my TI2.
Yes, this is true. Without a good controller (like the excellent Virus Commander) programming is a pain in the ass. But I see also a lot TI users only using the TI plug-in and don't touch the surface of the Virus. Maybe this point of using such hardware (the feel of the surface) has a bit changed this days? It's for many more a plug-in with a (without doubt excellent) external synth engine ;)

4damind wrote:But I see also a lot TI users only using the TI plug-in and don't touch the surface of the Virus.
Im the opposite, I rarely use the plugin, and even when I do I tend to use the TI controls rather than plugin, quicker and easier. (perhaps because I have a TI Keyboard, so don't want to leave the keys?)
Of course learning the plugin is easier, as its all in front of you, but if you take your time, learning the layout of the TI there is nothing difficult about it... and you can then do sound design with or without the plugin.
(note: though this doesn't include the TI snow.)

but perhaps I'm different, this is the one the key reasons for having hardware over a plugin.

Isn't it funny how threads like these produce the most contrary opinions? Some say this plugin is more close, some say that plugin is more close, some say none of them is even close. :P I would agree though with "all of them sound different". IMO, there's always slight differences here and there, which can result in bigger differences with some sounds. So the best option, if you really want "that" sound would be to just buy the synth i guess.

It's not a main feature, but Spire's phaser sounds a lot like I remember Virus' phaser sounds. It's a great phaser sound.

In general its quite subjetive thing to talk about "wich sounds like virus" because some types of sounds on certain synths can sound similar to another.

Spire captures very well the character of Virus. Dune 2 on some patches too, especially on supersaws.
Im surprised that people owning virus say that Spire doesnt sound like it, maybe you are comparing with models before Total Integration one? well i own Virus Ti Snow for years now and its been my main tool, and the first thing i did noticed about Spire after hearing it, it does capture the vibe of that synth. It has the clarity and round body like Virus Ti when it comes to sound character.

Dune 2 is great, but it has a little bit different character, somewhat soft, smooth, even if you try to make the sound dirty it still sounds somewhat smooth wich is good, because certain sounds being made on Virus do sound smooth.

Add to that - Harmor by IL can "capture" the Virus character when making dirty saw type leads.

Anyhow, speaking about today, if i were you i would forget that thought of searching for vst that sounds like virus, because Virus is not a role model anymore for quality in software synths. Dune 2, Spire they are all amazing, high quality synths whom you can use alot just to make top notch quality songs.

Talking about hypersaws, Dune 2 is my choice, Virus Ti just cant stand against Dune 2. Dune 2 with 32 voices + unison on top sounds thicker, fatter then Virus Ti.

chk071 wrote:This guy did a comparison between Spire and The Virus TI Snow:
Sounds close but the differences are pretty apparent. I noticed that he didn't disable "warm", "boost" and voice drift in Spire, may be this adds up to the differences heard?

There are various reasons why I won't go hardware any time soon, but I'm interested in Virus-like synths because large part of the music I like (mostly trance/psytrance/ electronic chillout made circa 2003-2010) was made with heavy use of Viruses. Maybe my question should be "what set of softsynths would cover most part of the Virus sonic territory with comparable sound quality and similar character". I understand that I'll never get 100% authencity in software and I don't need that.

Interesting that people mention Zebra in this context. I never thought of it as a "virusy" synth. Maybe it does "non-trance" part of Virus? I sorta had (maybe wrong) impression that Virus has thick and big sound, like Spire, Sylenth or Dune2, but Zebra is very mellow.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

What about other contenders? discoDSP, Papen or Tone2 stuff for instance.

When my ears are full of wax, both Dune2 and Spire sound like the Virus :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:What about other contenders? discoDSP, Papen or Tone2 stuff for instance.
IMO there isn't anything else that actually sounds like the Virus. Same with the Nord Leads.

This is going to sound odd, but the soft synth which "reminds me" of the TI is Diva. It's obviously not the same, but I would describe it's sound as large, bold, slightly soft (rounded), slightly smudgy and dark. (get your snickering over with) but that is very much like the sound of TI to me but that is where the similarities end.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I find it hard to believe the virus "sound" is still a thing. 20 years ago maybe.. But now? Hell the daw is its own instrument. Combine
This vst with that reverb, delay or create my own filter chains. Way more fun than worrying about that "sound".

I love my c, but there's too much fun in not being tied to any one architecture or sound.

Aiynzahev wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:What about other contenders? discoDSP, Papen or Tone2 stuff for instance.
IMO there isn't anything else that actually sounds like the Virus. Same with the Nord Leads.

This is going to sound odd, but the soft synth which "reminds me" of the TI is Diva. It's obviously not the same, but I would describe it's sound as large, bold, slightly soft (rounded), slightly smudgy and dark. (get your snickering over with) but that is very much like the sound of TI to me but that is where the similarities end.
discoDSP makes a Nord emulation, should sound fairly similar unless George has screwed up again 8)
How about Tal's 101 emulation? That also sounds dark to me :hihi:

The newer versions of Discovery sound very much like a Nord now. BassLine-101 sounds spot on with an SH-101, and I also think it's the most analog sounding plugin synth.

Spire just doesn't sound like a Virus. It doesn't have the body / fullness. It sounds hyped and clean. The ITB Virus option besides PoCo was z3ta for me, now it's Dune 2. I feel that Dune 2 has the same type of grittiness.
You are currently reading my signature.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Aiynzahev wrote:

discoDSP makes a Nord emulation, should sound fairly similar unless George has screwed up again 8)
How about Tal's 101 emulation? That also sounds dark to me :hihi:
IMO should is the key word there. Just because it's claimed to be, we shouldn't go round saying it is. Personally I think it's close but no cigar. I think Bazille can sound similar to the Nord Lead 4 actually.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I tried Blue2 and yes, I sounds the way I like, I'll probably buy it as my funds allow. Should I also try their Predator?

Discovery Pro is 'Nord" rather than "Virus", also must be a part of the sound of "that synth era". Another planned purchase.

Electra2 is fine, but I'm not sure it does anything my Dune2, Spire and Z3ta2 cann't. I like the CPU efficiency though.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”