One Synth Challenge #69: X-Jupitae Flexoid by CK_Modules (Congrats to Keith303!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by caonoize on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris-S wrote:I think the design is by Limeflavour. :tu:
Right click reveals Anders Hedstrom :).
Clear GUI.

Surprised I am only the second entry this month...! I found Flexoid to be an amazing synth to work with - extremely feature-rich compared to some of the synths in OSC in the past. Loved the fx section especially - great for building really lush wide sounds.

Here's my entry:

https://soundcloud.com/pedalsteeldrumme ... e-be-light

Let There Be Light
Deep House/Detroit Techno

With this track I tried to capture the raw, spiritual feel of early house and techno grooves.

TRACK NOTES:

Created for the KVR One-Synth-Challenge 69: XJ Flexoid. All sounds from CK_Modules' X-Jupitae Flexoid VSTi synth. I adapted a few of the included presets but mostly used my own custom patches. The percussion sounds are modelled on the original TR-808 drum machine by Roland Corp.

20 instances of "Flexoid". Mixed/mastered in Cockos Reaper 4.71 with the following fx:

TRACKING:
(EQ) Cockos ReaEQ
(Compression) Cockos ReaComp
(Stereo Width & Delays) Cockos ReaDelay
(Saturation/Distortion) VOS BootEQmkII
(Reverb) 3 x VOS epicVerb (1 x hall, 1 x room and 1 x plate)

MIX BUS:
Cockos ReaEQ, VOS epicVerb (ambience algorithm), Voxengo Marvel GEQ (in mid-side stereo configuration), TDR VOS SlickEQ (with saturation on), TLs Maximizer

DR10
http://www.pleasurizemusic.com/en/our-aim
better and more dynamic sound

pedalsteeldrummer wrote:Surprised I am only the second entry this month...!
Nice to see/hear you! Good track. It got very lonely in here :cry:

Wonder where everyone else is???

dB

Nice track, realistic drums and a pro mix. :tu:

Entry #3 Jo's Christmas dreams
Composed for the 69th One Synth Challenge contest on KVR.
All sounds from X-Jupitae Flexoid VSTi synth.
There are 18 instances of the synth in Reaper.
No external plugins, just ReaEq.
https://soundcloud.com/slava-fiks/jos-christmas-dreams

Thank you for listening,
Slava

Cool, the first(?) OSC christmas song. :D

My entry is complete - this was hard! And it may require some tweaking. Not sure if a couple of parts are too harsh sounding - and also the lead instrument that plays over the last half has slightly weird timing in order to make it sound a little more like natural instruments being played... not sure if it 'works' or if it just sounds 'off'. Any feedback over the next couple of days while I still have some time to fix things would be greatly appreciated - looking forward to hearing everyone elses entries!! :D

https://soundcloud.com/mostlyjustj/jlan ... e-eastwest

Here's the blurb:

My entry for the KVR OSC #69 - my second OSC!

This track was made using Reaper and almost 50 instances of the very interesting X-Jupitae 'Flexoid' by Chris Kerry (CK_Modules). Mind you about half of those are muted tracks that haven't been cleaned up.

I've used alot of routing, panning, and some EQ in Reaper to get layered sounds. I don't think I necessarily made the best use of the synth itself. I had already finished the foundation of the track, about 10 days into it, before I realized that there were other patches available than the actual initial patch (No - I'M NOT KIDDING) so I *did* make a bunch of the sounds from scratch! But since I'm not a skilled sound designer, that's probably not a good thing for the song, haha!

But there is no doubt that this is a heavy-duty BEAST of a sound-design synth, so I don't think I made great use of the coolest features (The core of each of the 3 Oscillator sections are fascinating but a little over my head. Something tells me that THAT is where most of the action is... but at least the Modulation/filter/envelope and FX options were a little more graspable and usable for me - and there's definitely ALOT of all those things!!)

SUPER huge thanks to RichardSemper for uploading his patches to the board. I have to say that they were generally better than the factory patches, and the shaker sound is a big part of the glue that holds this whole track together.

I worked really hard on the sounds on this one. The skill level around here is definitely a couple of notches better than I feel I'm ready to compete with, but the only way to get there is to keep trying!

Hello everyone,

Taking on board some comments about my track I have changed the version now available to play and download. Got rid of the nasty reverb on the kick (somehow I had switched the FX reverb on when I did the patch - duh! Reworked the patch to fix this.), did some extra automation on the basses and pads/strings, and tweaked the mix in various places. Also made the autopan a little less aggressive and removed it altogether in one place - so the autopan count goes down by 1.

[Edit 25/11] Also added another lead based synth working on top of the melody (listen for a filtered pan), most obvious in the non kick'd sections. Let the piano hits sound through at times. Generally opened up the mix with more EQ-ing to get sounds into their frequency spaces. (Thank you ReaEQ!). Removed a complete bassline track which was "interfering" with the main bassline - it was interesting, but also somehow a bit out of place making the original line a little confused.[/Edit]

Master chain Classic Compressor and Limiter removed and replaced with ye olde Limiter No6 (was originally having problems with this, but rationalisation of the tracks and cpu use seems to have sorted this now.

The DR is now 7, so a little less "squashed" in dynamic space.

Enjoy the new version. If people think this is NOT an improvement, please howl.

dB

Hi all,

Sorry, this is not my track for this Flexoid-month. I had no time this month.

But I have a good excuse (which is a bit off topic, I know). I got the chance to make a demo track for the new Luftrum12 soundbank for the TAL U-NO-LX.
https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/luftrum12-demo

But what is your excuse?
We have the 27th of the month and I see only 5 entries :?:
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

photonic wrote:But what is your excuse?
We have the 27th of the month and I see only 5 entries :?:
Nice track, but wrong synth :hihi:

No excuse from me - first in! What do you think? And I can only see FOUR tracks :o ... what's going on??? Ok, for sure this is a tricky synth to get the right sounds from ... but if a newbie like me can do it I'm sure the masters out there can do better.

dB

doctorbob wrote:... And I can only see FOUR tracks :o ... what's going on??? ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok, you win. Only 4 !
Well, thats why you got a degree and I not! I failed too much in math :dog:
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

photonic wrote:
doctorbob wrote:... And I can only see FOUR tracks :o ... what's going on??? ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok, you win. Only 4 !
Well, thats why you got a degree and I not! I failed too much in math :dog:
Hehe ... nice track though ... very nice airy pads.

dB

Here is a track I knocked up in Reaper, it's not an entry from me, just something for you to listen to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8psxbhxip6yya ... 7.mp3?dl=0
I didn't have long to work on it so it's far from perfect I know.

It's a minimalist track using only 5x Flexoids and Neo_MasterTool(*) for final track Multi-band Compression/Limiter/Exciter/Spatial Enhancement etc.
Thanks to Richard Semper for his kick sounds which I modified to a SubBass Kick, the other sounds use slightly modified default presets.

I haven't used Reaper to record tracks before so i couldn't figure out how to record VST GUI Automation directly otherwise there would be much more movement in the main sounds tonality - i had to use the Envelopes :(

(*)Neo_MasterTool was built using my own custom CK_Engine you can take a looksee here http://www.supremepiano.com/product/mastering.html

COMING SOON!
"If Only" - A lament - by Richard Semper, using X-Jupitae Flexoid.
Watch this space.....

Return to “Instruments”