Novation SL MK2 vs Arturia KeyLab

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need a MIDI controller really bad, 61 keys, 100% VST work, nothing external.
I am considering the SLMK2 or KeyLab, 61 keys is a must. I also own Zero SL MK2
and i am quiet familiar with Automap. What the hell should i do?
Price wise they are about the same. Or any other better option?
Price is not an issue up to a 1000$ maybe. A BC input would be a plus.

Thanks
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Try them out!

I did NOT like the Arturia's keybed and controls.. they felt flimsy in the couple of demos I had with it in the music store. The Novation felt much better. If I was in your situation and with my personal preferences in mind, I'd get the SL Mk 2 and call it a day.

But again, try out the Arturia. Maybe it meets your needs. I like Vanilla ice cream, some people like Chocolate more. :shrug: :hihi:

VitaminD wrote:Try them out!

I did NOT like the Arturia's keybed and controls.. they felt flimsy in the couple of demos I had with it in the music store. The Novation felt much better. If I was in your situation and with my personal preferences in mind, I'd get the SL Mk 2 and call it a day.

But again, try out the Arturia. Maybe it meets your needs. I like Vanilla ice cream, some people like Chocolate more. :shrug: :hihi:
Try them out, as I feel just the opposite of VitaminD. The Novations' keys felt too much like springboards. I would love to have the Arturia 88, but not for $800.

I had a novation and tried the arturia at the store: Novation SL has one of the best keybeds, I didn't like the arturia at all. Also arturia support is horrible and their forums is full of complaints.

Other one I liked is the Roland a-800 Pro, also try that one.
Last edited by rod_zero on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dedication to flying

I like the Roland too but it seems very limited, i need something more of the SL caliber,
controlling a DAW too. Akai MPK seems interesting too.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

BasariStudios wrote:I like the Roland too but it seems very limited, i need something more of the SL caliber,
controlling a DAW too. Akai MPK seems interesting too.
I've had a very arduous & frustrating gear quest,that has endured for months,but I finally settled on the Akai MPK261...only problem,is insufficient funds...at the moment.

Thus far...my investigative efforts have been fruitful,as the MPK2 seems to have the best build quality,key-action,DAW integration and the most generous array of physical controls & most logical layout of any keyboard at this price.
The MPK261 has been deemed as having that hardware synth workstation solidarity to it,which sounds superb to me. :phones:

arturia has the worst keybed i have ever had the displeasure to try and i've tried some cheap m-audio crap in my days

the nektar lx61 has a bad keybed, too but it still soooo much better than the arturia ones

not to mention that the arturia ones feel like they are going to break any moment and on all the ones i have tried in exhibitions and shops at least one key was broken...

i don't think the novation is worth the money they are still charging though
plus the display for the knobs should've been below them not above, do these guys even use the stuff they produce?

Novation automap is horrible and the keyboards are not really very well built.

Arturia are terrible people with terrible attitudes that make buggy products and offer little to no support.

But a Nektar Panorama instead and bask in its awesomeness.

I have a Nektar Impakt LX 61 right here and the keybed really isn't that bad. It's unbelivably cheap, well made and works.

tehlord wrote:Novation automap is horrible and the keyboards are not really very well built.

Arturia are terrible people with terrible attitudes that make buggy products and offer little to no support.

I have a Nektar Impakt LX 61 right here and the keybed really isn't that bad. It's unbelivably cheap, well made and works.
just to confuse the op:

automap is the best thing ever made (ok...thats a bit much, but it is f'ing awesome, ill stop using it when they pry it from my cold dead hands) and my remote sl mkii is built like a tank.

maybe im wrong (cuz i dont have one) but the panorama doesnt even have something comparable to automap. sooo...have fun manually mapping everything.
ImageImageImage

Im in love with the Panorama. Everything mapped perfectly in Logic, Bitwig I need to map manually for VST but I actually quite enjoy the processor getting things exactly how I want it. No experience with Novation other than my Bass Station Rack (Awesome) but yes arturia are really hard to deal with and very buggy.

chaosWyrM wrote:
tehlord wrote:Novation automap is horrible and the keyboards are not really very well built.

just to confuse the op:

automap is the best thing ever made (ok...thats a bit much, but it is f'ing awesome, ill stop using it when they pry it from my cold dead hands) and my remote sl mkii is built like a tank.

maybe im wrong (cuz i dont have one) but the panorama doesnt even have something comparable to automap. sooo...have fun manually mapping everything.
Same experience here! Automap works great, and combined with the 2 LCDs makes for the best way of controlling soft synths there is (that I know of). "Best" being my personal opinion, of course.

Ow, and Arturia are not terrible people, don't have terrible attitudes (in general), their products aren't more buggy than anything else, and their support is comparable with other companies of that size.

tehlord seems to have Nektar stock options. (I have no opinion on their products - never used them ;) )

agit wrote:plus the display for the knobs should've been below them not above, do these guys even use the stuff they produce?
Then your hands (or arms) obscure part of the display when touching the knobs. What is your reason to want the display under the knobs?

AlesisVi61 wrote: The MPK261 has been deemed as having that hardware synth workstation solidarity to it,which sounds superb to me. :phones:
Solidarity is great!! Does it ever go on strike? :D

you might as well grab a novation: there are loads around, and you get
software to manage them, can load 40 instrumnt maps, automap(allegdly)
VST plugins, and you get an xy+ a joystick.

If you already own the zero sl MKII...why not combine it with a synth that also has midi out and master keyboard functionalities something like an used Kurzweil PC1X or PC2X (weighted keys, 600-700 bucks used). Or synths with synth action keyboard:

- Access Virus C (61keys, 1000 bucks used)
- Studiologic Sledge (1000 bucks new)
- Korg pro Kross 61(700 bucks, synth/Workstation)
- Roland V-Combo VR-09 (900 bucks)
- Roland JUNO-Di 61(700 bucks)

In this day and age I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a midi keyboard since you already have the zero sl for automap and all the controls

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”