What do you hate about Studio One? What is missing?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Muziksculp wrote:I feel S1-Pro needs some type of an Arranger Track feature which has been in Cubase for a long time, also a dedicated drum-editor would be nice.
Yep. When I made the move fully from Cubase 5 to S1, those two things were on my "I certainly will miss those" list. I kinda balanced what I would miss against what I would gain and the balance came out ok for me, mmv. But my ... "Man, I'm gonna miss this stuff when I put Cubase down" list was...

- Drum Editor
- Logical Editors & Input Transformers
- Arranger Track
- Transient Designer Plugin
- Beat Designer
- The Listen Bus
- Midi Sends.
- Midi plugins. S1 has no midi plugins, at all, which may be it's single largest subjective flaw as relates to midi production in general. :(

Those were things I used a lot that I missed a lot early on. Most other stuff, not so much. The listen bus is a really big deal for the studio, for monitoring and soloing and all that, I still miss it. :(

I can fully understand why someone deeply vested in Cubase's functionality might struggle with a move to S1. Feature wise, Cubase is a monster. :( Only an over the top and semi delusional fanboy would not see that.

Also.. You can't make a smooth curve transition in the tempo track in S1-Pro v2. It only allows for steps of tempo change transitions. I wonder why they have not updated this to a curve based tempo transition via their latest update/s . Hopefully Version 3 will fix this.

I am not sure this contributes to the discussion, and I am don't know if this link has been posted to this forum before, (link found on the Presonus forum). But this is an interview with the CTO and "a Father" of Studio One, Matthias Juwan. Just after the release of v2.5 in January of 2013. He discusses the history and production philosophy of the S1 team. Of interest to me is the perceived tension between Baton Rouge and Hamburg as to whether the emphasis of S1 programming is directed toward the "standard musician" or electronic music, (where my interest lies).

http://en.audiofanzine.com/general-sequ ... o-one.html

i bought my S1 Professional for less than 100 $ here in the market place. the only thing i miss sometimes is an option to change the hole skin. i want everything a little darker. but in the work i miss nothing. love the workflow and the clarity.
Was Große tun, beschwatzen gern die Kleinen.

For some reason, I did not see this very often, but in my view what is missing is a better set of sounds. I really hope that version 3 will bring a much needed refresh in this department. Studio One Artist is amazing, but given the limitations, without a proper quality sound set it is less complete for music production as it could be. I hope Presonus team is planning some nice surprises...
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

There sound sets are pretty terrible.

What's really missing for me, is the instant feature. The one where you simply play a note and an entire orchestra composition is made sensing your mood.

Until they put that in, there is no reason to upgrade.

24MTS wrote:For some reason, I did not see this very often, but in my view what is missing is a better set of sounds. I really hope that version 3 will bring a much needed refresh in this department. Studio One Artist is amazing, but given the limitations, without a proper quality sound set it is less complete for music production as it could be. I hope Presonus team is planning some nice surprises...
I don't get that thinking at all - why limit your own music creation on what daw supplies.

If you buy 3rd party soundsets that are to liking - you have the tools you want, and just select a daw that have the workflow you like.

So from that perspective I hope there is no effort spent on increasing soundsets, plugins or anything of that kind.

I want workflow improvements and integrated notation more than anything.

Well then, why put a sound set in at all!? If they do have DAW own instruments they should be at least decent. So let me say I do not get your thinking if you hope for no improvements in this area. DAWs with far less visibility have great sounds, like SMS2013 for one.
------------

24MTS wrote:Well then, why put a sound set in at all!? If they do have DAW own instruments they should be at least decent. So let me say I do not get your thinking if you hope for no improvements in this area. DAWs with far less visibility have great sounds, like SMS2013 for one.
They just want to tie you up - that is my thinking.

Read your own words and you will see that - you refer to S1 and maybe prefer workflow of S1 - but look at SMS2013 because they have better soundsets. So you compromise what you can do by walking in their leash.

Look what 3rd party has to offer and be you own boss - that is my thinking. It might cost you more, since part of the trick is they bundle up cheap for you - but that is the cost of freedom. Your actuall tools are your soundsets/plugins - the host is just your vehicle. Swap vehicle and bring your tools with you.

24MTS wrote:Well then, why put a sound set in at all!?
My take on it is that lots of people just starting won't have anything, so they have that. Anyone really concerned about the sounds will already have better sounds, Kontakt, etc, etc. For the youngster buying his first daw he can install it and make music right away.

I've suggested to people (and they never hear me :hihi: ) that despite what some Reaper fans say - nobody - actually pays for the standard bundled instruments, they're just... free. If you don't want them, don't download them, they're optional. If you want a bunch of usable instruments for little money, buy Logic, it's loaded. :shrug:

Well look what came with Pro Tools the AIR Creative Collection. When I was using PT all I needed were a few extra instruments. At the very least they should have a really good synth included. The DB-33 is really good I hope that AIR can release it like they did Xpand!2.

http://www.airmusictech.com/product/cre ... HAwl4vF-So

LawrenceF wrote:
24MTS wrote:Well then, why put a sound set in at all!?
My take on it is that lots of people just starting won't have anything, so they have that. Anyone really concerned about the sounds will already have better sounds, Kontakt, etc, etc. For the youngster buying his first daw he can install it and make music right away.

I've suggested to people (and they never hear me :hihi: ) that despite what some Reaper fans say - nobody - actually pays for the standard bundled instruments, they're just... free. If you don't want them, don't download them, they're optional. If you want a bunch of usable instruments for little money, buy Logic, it's loaded. :shrug:
It's not that we don't listen, it's that we DON'T AGREE :D

One thing that enticed me to join the bitwig ranks is that their built in stuff is mostly unique and high quality. Again, though S1 isn't in my collection because of the sounds, I think it's short-sided to believe that everyone should just use other sounds and not wish for an update to what is there.

LawrenceF wrote:My take on it is that lots of people just starting won't have anything, so they have that. Anyone really concerned about the sounds will already have better sounds, Kontakt, etc, etc. For the youngster buying his first daw he can install it and make music right away.
As I remember there were something from Native Instruments to activate with S1, that I never looked at or activated - since I removed everything NI from my computer.

I guess that was an attempt to supply something for those wanting it all in one box.

Quite often as with Sonar, you have an option to upgrade to a bigger version of that bundled stuff. I don't know about this in S1.

For anybody wanting a shitload of good sounds for no money look at Cakewalk Dimension Pro. It could be it's not for every genre of music maybe. But it's sold for $20-$30 or so.

For a new comer, S1 can't compete with Logic, Cubase and Sonar.

- No Acoustic Drums (needs to have something like EZ Drummer or BFD Eco, in that level at least)
- No complex synth (Just Mojito wont' cut it). The competition has a very sophisticated instruments and sounds, and one can be productive right away.
- No score editor. The other three have them (Sonar is much less than the other two, but still it is there).

IMO, S1 now is behind the others. It needs 3rd party software (Komplete Elements is not enough!) and an integrated Score editor instead of the many not that useful GBs of libraries.

However, for someone who has all his/her tools, then it makes sense to not care really about the negatives (except the score editor for some). He/she can concentrates on the nice workflow and the ease of use.

You all are right, just as I am! :)

I am saying, if they (or anyone else really) decides to add a set of instruments, sounds, loops, etc to the bare DAW they release and sell, well then, they should go all the way and provide something useful.

With S1 I am living a paradox. I bought the Artist that one day when they sold it for 5$ I think... I felt I did a great deal, but let's say I payed 100$, which is the regular, right? What do I get? Great plugin effects, great indeed, wonderful workflow, amazing tools - and pitiful sounds! Not to say, some of the loops are great, some of the Impact sets great, but most of the bread and butter sounds (Presence mainly) are just sub-pair. Some plain awful. So, I wonder, why that is? And shouldn't they fix it?

All the other 100$ DAWs have better sound sets. All. Even though subjective, some aspects of the sounds/instruments are still objective, and so I feel I can say Studio One is lacking there. Best workflow, worst sounds - to me at least.

Isn't this a shame? I feel I could complete my work with Studio One Artist just fine as it is, but without proper sounds, obviously I cannot. I need to use something else, even-though I enjoy working with S1. For audio is perfect (well, not really, but you understand) but for MIDI/sampler/synth no. Because I also don't like NI Kontakt, I just don't, and even if I did, there is limited libraries for Player.

Or maybe I should also say this: if Presonus will not add better sounds to S1 3, at least to remove the VSTi restriction from Artist! :) Fair? Fair.

With Samplitude Music Studio 2013 is a different thing. I don't dislike it, not at all, but is quirky at times. Has everything I need, all the tools, just as S1, and even more, but the workflow is different, less modern, less straightforward. But workable nonetheless. With this mini-Samplitude, they've included a great great selection of sounds, instruments and particularly with this anniversary version, their Independence Basic Sampler! So obviously I use that and not S1. Because I am a fan of all-in-one solution and because what they bundled with the bare DAW is indeed of a great quality. And BTW, I bought this too as a special offer, at 20$.

Because I am also a fan of reduced costs. :)

So, I am very curious if something will change in the sound/instruments department with the new release. If so, I will be glad to upgrade to the next Artist version. If not I will be happy to continue using something else.

Either way, Presonus will do just fine, I am just one. If the most users will be happy without refreshed sound sets in the version 3, fine with me, well, to each his own.

But I just hope they will do something about it.
------------

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”