Addictive Drums 2 vs. 1 / Any opinions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been using AD 1 for quite a while now and am pretty happy with it. That is, I wasn't really considering an upgrade. Until yesterday, when I received a mail by XLN informing me about a cheap upgrade path to AD 2.

So, I read a few current reviews - and was a little surprised to learn that all of them are mostly positive.

I'm still a bit hesitant, especially since I'm not sure whether using AD 2 instead of AD 1 will bring me many advantages, or whether I really need the new features of AD 2. Which leaves me with my most important questions:

Are the AD 2 sounds better? Are the AD 2 features more convenient? Are there any drawbacks when migrating from AD 1 to AD 2?

What kind of experience have you had? Which of the new features makes an upgrade worth it, in your opinon?

I'm pretty sure you have to be on AD2 to use fairfax, and the fairfax kits are so good you'll want to upgrade to get access to them

no real drawbacks to upgrading (apart from the cost)

Take a look at some new features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-sF4jXiodI

If you can get past all that IAP bs, maybe you'll like it.

EDIT: IAP I mean in app propaganda, not purchase, if there's a difference.

@XorXisT

Could you specify what you mean by "in-app propaganda"? I mean, AD 1 also contains demo Midi songs of AdPaks I don't own. Has this become more in AD 2?

Skorpius wrote:@XorXisT

Could you specify what you mean by "in-app propaganda"? I mean, AD 1 also contains demo Midi songs of AdPaks I don't own. Has this become more in AD 2?
I never used AD1, but this demo in app, buy this, buy that, get in the way of making music.

I know, that's just me, I'm a little picky here, but if you don't really care about this, then AD2 is really good package.

I got it with Sonar X3 Producer, so, for me, AD2 is more than I'll ever need (for now :hihi: ), i just don't like those marketing-in-app.

Sorry if this is not helping you at all :(

Has the CPU issue been addressed yet since the initial release?

When people are loving the Fairfax kit, is this Fairfax 1 or 2? Thanks.

I just took advantage of the 50% off upgrade deal, and I got the upgrade plus 1 kitpak.

I was skeptical about spending $100 or more on an upgrade, and so I didn't do it at first. But I can tell you that at the sale price, it's definitely worth it. I own a bunch of AD1 kitpaks which convert with the upgrade. The conversions are very nice. Easier to navigate the kits and the beats. Sounds great too, though I don't know if that's just a psychological thing.

In any event, I had a good time feeling my way around the new interface and playing with some of the new parameters.

I haven't downloaded the Fairfax kit yet, but I've heard good things.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:
I was skeptical about spending $100 or more on an upgrade, and so I didn't do it at first.
-B
That's why I'm pondering now with the half-price sale. I have AD1 with an investment in several kits, but just upgraded EZD 2 (which also has a similar investment), plus others like Logic Drummer and ones I don't use much though, like Slate 4 limited kit and Komplete stuff. There were some things in AD that I liked that have been made much better in AD2, plus the browser is easier to read with the larger text. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it to upgrade now or just use what I have.

macmuse wrote:
BERFAB wrote:
I was skeptical about spending $100 or more on an upgrade, and so I didn't do it at first.
-B
That's why I'm pondering now with the half-price sale. I have AD1 with an investment in several kits, but just upgraded EZD 2 (which also has a similar investment), plus others like Logic Drummer and ones I don't use much though, like Slate 4 limited kit and Komplete stuff. There were some things in AD that I liked that have been made much better in AD2, plus the browser is easier to read with the larger text. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it to upgrade now or just use what I have.
If you already have a lot of AD1 packs, then I would then definitely at least go for the basic option which is $40 right now. All those kits and beats go into the new format and definitely breathe new life into them. The auditioning of kits is actually FUN in AD2, and the new randomizing functions for the MIDI beat files gives you a lot to work with as far as creating new beats.

If you want to try a new kit (which I did), another $25 (on top of the $40) gets you Fairfax or any other kit pak you desire.

At those prices, it's a very solid new tool.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Thanks Berfab. Yes, in my mind, the fact that I have quite a few kits already is good reason to upgrade (or else sell them all and use EZD2 or vice versa!). So as the OP, I too appreciate any info as it benefits us and anyone else facing this decision.

As for the Fairfax, any thoughts on 1 or 2? I keep reading how great Fairfax is but don't know which they are referring to (I figured 1 since it was out longer). I know it's just $25 but is it THAT incredible over everything else? (and why?)

Love AD2 but still waiting for my email from XLN to enable me to upgrade my AD1 kits to AD2.
Usually get plenty of emails from them but this is one Im waiting on coz Ill certainly take the plunge.

Was it a code that XLN sent for the upgrade, coz Im not able to get the upgrade with the 50% discount on their website.

Cheers

It's tied to your account steveski. Log-in to see your price.

Did you check your spam or junk box for the email? The link in the email takes you right to the discount page.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Nope! Ive checked spam and junk box but nothin there! :-(

logged in to my account but still showing as €129.95 on check out

same here steveski.
doubting anyway....last week the ad1 suddenly didnt open anymore.reinstalled it,straight to C:\Addictive Drums.
dont like it,and no option to choose i think.why not just in plugin folder?weird things....
also if i buy 2 i want to delete one but then all older projects miss ad1.
that holds me back.

I had AD1 plus some expansions, Metal + Indie + something else.
Sold it, because none of it was (as) good for high-speed metal (as Toontrack stuff).

Bought two AD2 packs here recently, I believe it was Studio Prog and Studio Rock or something, and immediately shifted them again after trying to use them for a week or two.

The AD2 libraries I had sounded exactly like the AD1 stuff did.
And by that I mean: they sounded EXACTLY like the AD1 stuff did.
Still no interesting articulations. No flams, no rolls, are you KIDDING me?!

No, seriously.
I firmly believe they used zero/naught/zilch new samples in their "updates", just re-saved the existing AD1 libraries (if at all) to make them work in their new and impressive player plugin.

Which now contains a "browse our product range" in-your-face marketing feature. Oh golly, how funking great, just what I need when making music - distractions. Buy this. You could be buying something new. Sorry, preset only works with another library. Click here to buy.

The only step forward about it is that it's no longer necessary to purchase an additional "frame plugin".
You can now buy a sample library, and it already comes with the plugin to play it back. Great!

XLN MIDI Paks are saved in a specially packed non-MIDI format, "one file per pack", so that only AD2 can read them and they can only be used inside AD2, but not hotlinked into another drum sampler's MIDI library.

Yes, AD2 says it lets me re-route incoming MIDI notes in order to use non-XLN MIDI clips. Yet there's not a single sodding line in the manual that would tell me how to actually get all my .mid clips into AD2.

Sorry to be so negative.
I tried so hard to like AD1, and I tried so hard again to like AD2.

It's probably a good product that, if bought discounted at retailers, is sold for an affordable price and can provide solid sounds for standard pop/rock applications. But I know now that there's a reason why it's not called "superior", and there's a reason why another product is.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Return to “Instruments”