A new controller kb...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not really sure what is going on with the Akai MPK261...there's only a smattering of user reviews on this board,as some retailers still list it as a pre-order item(such as Zzounds expecting their shipment on Feb 22nd of 2015) and yet...some dude on Youtube,has had the MPK261 since June and has made 3 reviews videos,just to piss & moan about the included MPC Essentials software.
Sweetwater has one left in stock,so the sales seem to be doing well on this item.This review of the MPK261 is very favorable;

http://www.wirerealm.com/reviews/akai-m ... ard-review

I've heard nothing but good feedback on the build quality of the MPK2,as well as the DAW integration being equally as good...so I am sold on it.
I only wish though,that the MPK2 had piano style keys...but as long as the key-bed is solid and responsive,then I think the MPK2 is the best buy,in this price range.

It's ironic,that I was chomping at the bit for months,to have the Alesis Vi61...only to cancel my pre-order,on the very day that the shipment arrives at Sweetwater... :o ...but I am 99% sure,that I made the right choice. :wheee:

i ordered the mpk 261 a few months ago when it came out and send it back

it was way too overpriced for what it offered IMHO

keys and pads were good and the controller was built very sturdy (honestly the pads other than being back lit, weren't better than the nektar lx ones but the keys definitely are)

i had no use for any of the software shipped with it (how many people do? seriosly, i'd rather they would make the controller cheaper or put that money into more features) and thought it was hilarious that they would put such horrible cheap display on what was one of the most expensive keyboard controllers at the time (then native instruments came out with the kontrol series which don't even have a display lol)

i don't know if they updated the presets but the amount of DAW control i had in studio one wasn't really something to write home about either (again outdone by a much cheaper keyboard like the lx from nektar)

i know quite a few people who after a year or so weren't happy with its predecessor because of the keys getting "worn & springier" - so that was on the back of my mind, too

i have been waiting for the alesis vi 61 since july, from what i tried the cheaper model v61 was surprisingly good for the price so i hope they don't make it worse in their more expensive models

Is the addition of the software bundle (MPK49 (Loom, Vacuum Pro) [$300 Value]. An added incentive to buy the MPK49?

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/akai-pro-o ... year-27955
바보

agit wrote:i ordered the mpk 261 a few months ago when it came out and send it back

keys and pads were good and the controller was built very sturdy (honestly the pads other than being back lit, weren't better than the nektar lx ones but the keys definitely are)

i had no use for any of the software shipped with it (how many people do? seriosly, i'd rather they would make the controller cheaper or put that money into more features) and thought it was hilarious that they would put such horrible cheap display on what was one of the most expensive keyboard controllers at the time (then native instruments came out with the kontrol series which don't even have a display lol)

i don't know if they updated the presets but the amount of DAW control i had in studio one wasn't really something to write home about either (again outdone by a much cheaper keyboard like the lx from nektar)

i know quite a few people who after a year or so weren't happy with its predecessor because of the keys getting "worn & springier" - so that was on the back of my mind, too

i have been waiting for the alesis vi 61 since july, from what i tried the cheaper model v61 was surprisingly good for the price so i hope they don't make it worse in their more expensive models
Okay...I get that the MPK261 was not a good fit for you personally,but in my opinion...I do not think it is fair to say that the Akai is overpriced.
First of all(& correct me if I'm wrong),but as far back as I can remember...the 61 key version of the MPK series always had held a price tag of $500..but now,that Akai is apart of the InMusic conglomeration....you now get a bunch of software included,for the same price tag and whether you have use for it or not,it's still an impressive amount of software,for no extra cost to the consumer.
Secondly...there is little point in comparing Nektar's LX series to the Akai,because the LX-series does not have aftertouch,it does not have an LCD screen and it only has half the drum pads.
The LX-series has good build quality(aside from the keys)...but I seriously doubt that the Nektar LX has more comprehensive DAW integration than the Akai.
I have the Nektar LX49 and honestly...the piano-style keys are nice,but even still,the key-action is very weak...I mean,the keys are usable..in terms of a general purpose use,but for certain types of playing,the Nektar is a huge fail.
As for Nektar's Panorama...well...I am sure the Reason integration is incredible...the best there is probably,but I don't need that level of automatic integration and I certainly don't need the Panorama's full color,high resolution LCD screen and I think it's way over the top,because the user is doing their work on their computer screens,not the keyboard itself(as if it's some sort of hardware workstation...like the Korg Kronos,for example.)
I mention this,because I have Reason 7...but,I would prefer to save $100 by going with the Akai...because to me,the MPK261 seems to provide everything I need,without paying extra for any sort of excessive fluff I don't wan't.
I must emphasis and I think most will agree,that key-bed quality,is the single most expensive feature you will ever pay for...in a controller keyboard and for those who spend more time playing keys(rather than making beats with drum pads)...key-bed quality is paramount and since the Akai will be apart of my main computer workstation,the $500 will be well spent.
From what I've read,Akai has improved the key-bed on this latest model,by making it less stiff & springy...so it sounds like a very well behaved key-bed to me. :D
Like you had mentioned,the NI Kontrol series is definitely over-priced(even with the Fatar key-bed)...I mean..$700 for a 61 key,is overpriced,any way you slice it...period.

As for the Alesis V & Vi series,there's no need for me to elaborate any further,as to why I dismissed this brand(except to say that I think it would be a mistake for me to buy a keyboard without any slider controls).

bftucker wrote:Is the addition of the software bundle (MPK49 (Loom, Vacuum Pro) [$300 Value]. An added incentive to buy the MPK49?

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/akai-pro-o ... year-27955
Dude...as a Loom,Vacuum Pro & Hybrid 3 owner,I emphatically promise you,that you will be in absolute synth heaven,if you take advantage of this deal(particularly with the MPK2 series)...as having all 3 of these synths is a must....believe me! :phones:

AlesisVi61 wrote:
agit wrote:i ordered the mpk 261 a few months ago when it came out and send it back

Okay...I get that the MPK261 was not a good fit for you personally,but in my opinion...I do not think it is fair to say that the Akai is overpriced.
First of all(& correct me if I'm wrong),but as far back as I can remember...the 61 key version of the MPK series always had held a price tag of $500..but now,that Akai is apart of the InMusic conglomeration....so you now get a bunch of software included,for the same price tag and whether you have use for it or not,it's still an impressive amount of software,for no extra cost to the consumer.
Secondly...there is little point in comparing Nektar's LX series to the Akai,because the LX-series does not have aftertouch,it does not have an LCD screen and it only has half the drum pads.
The LX-series has good build quality(aside from the keys)...but I seriously doubt that the Nektar LX has more comprehensive DAW integration than the Akai.
I have the Nektar LX49 and honestly...the piano-style keys are nice,but even still,the key-action is very weak...I mean,the keys are usable..in terms of a general purpose use,but for certain types of playing,the Nektar is a huge fail.
As for Nektar's Panorama...well...I am sure the Reason integration is incredible...the best there is probably,but I don't need that level of automatic integration and I certainly don't need the Panorama's full color,high resolution LCD screen and I think it's way over the top,because the user is doing their work on their computer screens,not the keyboard itself(as if it's some sort of hardware workstation...like the Korg Kronos,for example.)
I mention this,because I have Reason 7...but,I would prefer to save $100 by going with the Akai...because to me,the MPK261 seems to provide everything I need,without paying extra for any sort of excessive fluff I don't wan't.
I must emphasis and I think most will agree,that key-bed quality,is the single most expensive feature you will ever pay for...in a controller keyboard and for those who spend more time playing keys(rather than making beats with drum pads)...key-bed quality is paramount and since the Akai will be apart of my main computer workstation,the $500 will be well spent.
From what I've read,Akai has improved the key-bed on this latest model,by making it less stiff & springy...so it sounds like a very well behaved key-bed to me. :D
Like you had mentioned,the NI Kontrol series is definitely over-priced(even with the Fatar key-bed)...I mean..$700 for a 61 key,is overpriced,any way you slice it...period.

As for the Alesis V & Vi series,there's no need for me to elaborate any further,as to why I dismissed this brand(except to say that I think it would be a mistake for me to buy a keyboard without any slider controls).
Please excuse this re-post,as I was only trying to edit the original post and then this happened...we have now entered the Twilight Zone.. :borg:

Well after testing some over the weekend I think the novation SL and the roland have the best keys.

In neither fo them the controls feel sturdy, I didnt like automap when I used it back with a Novation Nocturn keyboard (had the same keybed which was good but lacked controls).

I think there isn't still a best "controller kb", right now if I wanted a good key action I would get a used hardware synth.

I am going to wait and see if rolands comes out with a 49 or 61 keys version of the System 1 with a good ammount of knobs and sliders (after alll I want it for controlling soft synths), and they also add velocity and AT. So I will wait till NAMM.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:I think there isn't still a best "controller kb", right now if I wanted a good key action I would get a used hardware synth.
Yep. Sadly, we're in the era of cheap plastic POS kb's, from everyone from Alesis to Roland. I wish Korg would come to the rescue... #ilovejoysticks

I read a post somewhere recently, with someone reflecting my sentiments that there is a huge advantage to buying the hardware that really feels great to you, because you'll be giddy to START playing with it, and that giddiness will transfer into helping you PLAY BETTER, and will KEEP you playing! :tu: #4theloveofmusic

I think I've personally tired of small boards as anything but triggering devices.
I think I just put myself in the holding out for the AKAI MPK288...

Both the Akai MPKs and the Alesis VIs were the only controllers worth the time to me at NAMM.

BBFG# wrote:I think I've personally tired of small boards as anything but triggering devices.
I think I just put myself in the holding out for the AKAI MPK288...

Both the Akai MPKs and the Alesis VIs were the only controllers worth the time to me at NAMM.
The Akai MPK288 sounds nice(assuming that they are going to remedy the noisy keys) and that they will go with semi-weighted,rather than fully weighted.
For me..fully weighted impedes my performance & is very uncomfortable for me and honestly,it would be an extremely rare instance,for me to utilize all 7 octaves.
73 keys would be wonderful,but nearly non existent in the controller market and I'll save the 6 octaves for when I eventually take the plunge into the Korg Kronos.
For the most part,for what I do...I absolutely need the 5 octaves most of the time and in nearly all instances in my studio,61 keys fits the bill,because I don't need to shift the octaves around,to access all of the samples of any given VST.

As for your particular needs,it's more likely that the Nektar LX88,will be available before the MPK288(assuming that such an Akai model is in the works).
So...if you don't mind the absence of aftertouch and semi-weighted keys are comfortable for you...then you're in luck,because the LX88,will only be $300.
I had considered it,but for one...I can't wait that long and 88-keys is too large for my restricted work-space.

AlesisVi61 wrote: So...if you don't mind the absence of aftertouch and semi-weighted keys are comfortable for you...then you're in luck,because the LX88,will only be $300.
I'm fine with weighted or semi-weighted keys as long as there's a global setting for the curve. Aftertouch is a must though.
The MPK 288 hasn't been released yet AFAIK, but I did get to play one at the show and it seemed to me they addressed all the issues known to plague the MPK88. As far as the 61 keys versions, I did like the feel of the Alesis VI better (didn't spend any more than a moment on the V series).
But now I think its better to see how the production run goes first before deciding.

is aftertouch really useful? what does it normally get assigned to? a bit of vibrato?
the only recent experience i had of it was pushing down really hard to get an effect,
i think you'd need a really decent keyboard to get the most out of it, totally pointless
as implemented on older synth keyboards (imo).

mztk wrote:is aftertouch really useful?
It is for me.
Kind of like asking guitarists if they really need a whammy bar.
And I've heard them discuss it from both sides.
To each their own according to their style.

I'll give an example I find particularly nice...

I use a patch program in one of the AAS synths mimicking a guitar.
It has an aftertouch assignment to pitch at a quarter tone up.
If you press on it slow, it simulates the finger bend of the string within the fret well.
If you 'pulse' the key (aftertouch), it gives you an in-fret vibrato that is much more natural sounding than a simple vibrato assigned to the mod wheel. And then you can also assign the wheel to something else such as timbre, or effect.

My past experiences with gear,left me with a feeling that Alesis was also going to disappoint in the DAW integration department as well and my suspicion was confirmed...from a Sweetwater review;

"How can I even review something that is incomplete? The unit features all the bells and whistles of knobs and pads that cannot be linked to anything because the Alesis software that controls them does NOT come with the unit, nor has it been completed and released by Alesis?? So it is sitting waiting. I use logic pro and have no interest in ABeliton lite! Such a long wait since NAM, April show, till late November,,,, Where were the software employees all that time? How does Alesis even know if it works?"

I am so relieved that I canceled my pre-order for the VI61...as just like a typical Behringer product,all flash and no dash and an utter waste of cash! :clap: :dog:

do the aleius v49 have good AT?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”