Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Greg Houston wrote:While on the topic of performance and simultaneously promoting my new soundset, the following demo has 108 instances of Serum in a single project along with a single instance of the FabFilter Pro-L limiter.

Soundset details

https://soundcloud.com/fabled-audio/fab ... ndset-demo

:)

PatchAdamz wrote:I recommend using the FREEZE function if your DAW offers that.

Cubase, and most DAWs offer the ability to record (freeze) the performance from your VST instrument.

This means that high CPU loads from a live synth (serum, for example) can be dramatically reduced.

The result is, gaining the ability to record many tracks of high CPU instruments with little quality lost.

Check out your DAWs documentation for the details.

Its true of course but for those who like to tweak and mix as they go constantly freezing or bouncing down parts can be a real workflow killer. Plus if youre working on a project that's already taxing your CPU then adding one or more instances of synths like Serum or Dune 2 may push your system over the edge making it impossible to work on at all.
But hey there's no denying that some real sonic progress is being made here. :tu:
However, right now I think Sylenth1 has the best balance out there between sound quality and CPU use. I hate the GUI and preset system though. Serum is far more attractive.

Hello!

I have been testing a little bit more on different hosts and here are some results:

Fl studio 64 bit - serum 64 bit 512 samples 44100 hz;

20-30 cpu chords 5x unison 1 osc without release.
30-38 cpu chords 5x unison 1 osc with release.
20-30 cpu chords 5x unison 1 osc and modulating wt posision with release.
20 cpu chords 5x unison 1 osc and modulating wt position without release

Reaper 64 bit - serum 64 bit 512 samples 44100 hz;

20 RT cpu chords 5x unison 1 osc without release.
25-35 RT cpu chords 5x unison 1 osc with release.
80-155 (crackles) RT cpu chords 5x unison 1 osc and modulating wt posision with release.
60-133 (crackles) RT cpu chords 5x unison 1 osc and modulating wt position without release

My audio settings are optimized so I dont think I can tweak my settings much to improve performance, increasing samples did not help me much in Reaper. On my system Serum performs better in FL studio, but the cpu usage is still high. It is important to for me to say that I really like Serum, the gui looks good, easy to use and great sound :) So my only consern is that it uses much cpu on my system, other people may have completely different experience. I really want to buy it before the introduction price ends, will make my decision after more demoing today.

Best regards,
Replicator
"Friends applaud, the comedy is over."

I just released my first soundset Sonic Tabulator for Serum, whoever needs some fresh serum for his/her Serum, check it out on the patchpool product page. I've been having a blast with this synth during the last weeks, a great instrument it is!
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanks, just got my pre-order.
rsp
sound sculptist

lotus2035 wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:I recommend using the FREEZE function if your DAW offers that.

Cubase, and most DAWs offer the ability to record (freeze) the performance from your VST instrument.

This means that high CPU loads from a live synth (serum, for example) can be dramatically reduced.

The result is, gaining the ability to record many tracks of high CPU instruments with little quality lost.

Check out your DAWs documentation for the details.

Its true of course but for those who like to tweak and mix as they go constantly freezing or bouncing down parts can be a real workflow killer. Plus if youre working on a project that's already taxing your CPU then adding one or more instances of synths like Serum or Dune 2 may push your system over the edge making it impossible to work on at all.

Mmm, gotta ask, what DAW are you using that freezing slows down your entire workflow.

I use Cubase, and in Cubase it takes a fews seconds to freeze a track and does not slow your workflow at all.
This can free up your CPU considerably.

ALSO, you can bounce tracks (if you like), freeze the FX, (opening more CPU) or leave them for the final mix.

Its quick, easy and you can un-freeze at anytime.

Just a quick note v1.02 beta is now up for reg'd users with

• 32 mod slots
• .tun support
• accelerated patch load
• and more! :phones:

Steve
Serum | Xfer Records
Last edited by bitcrusher on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Groovy, thanks! 32 mod slots... Sweet! I'll check it out ASAP. :)

:wheee:

Bitcrusher know my problem guy. I have a problem. I can't pay with paypal, so I need somebody who can pay my bill with paypal and I sent them do you bank account. Best for me is a person from Europe ;).

Thanks in advance ;) ====> DONE ;)
Last edited by MillerSam on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

I can help you MillerSam! :)

PM me, hope is not too late.

The chorus is noisy - playing two or more notes of an unfiltered sawtooth through the chorus causes pops and crackles.

Edit: I must have been doing something wrong, it's not doing it now.
Last edited by hakey on Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

bitcrusher wrote:Just a quick note v1.02 beta will be up for reg'd users later today w/ 32 mod slots, .tun support, accelerated patch load, and more! :phones:

Also, today is the last day of intro pricing ~33% discount!

Steve
Serum | Xfer Records
Glad to hear it Steve! The faster you can get those patches loading the better :) . 32 mod slots is nice too.

One single preset from my upcoming Serum soundset,
but this one is playing many different sounds by tweaking the modwheel and makros:
Vox-Strings-Horns-Orchestra-Deep pad-airy pad.

Some warmness for those who was freezing :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/hollosound/hollo ... erformance

Wow, that's beautiful. :)

Return to “Instruments”