Wolfgang Palm WaveMapper 2 is out for PC and MAC

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PPG WaveMapper 2 For Mac And PC

PietW. wrote:i bought it the first day and must say its a great synth.
and the analyser which i use often works better than the others from Serum and Codex.

What exactly works better ?
The procedure ? Are the results better and what are the results ?
Are the results real wavetables ?
As far as I have seen this synth is a toy for babys or teenees which want to play around with a dongle-software !

MorpherX wrote:
and the analyser which i use often works better than the others from Serum and Codex.

As far as I have seen this synth is a toy for babys or teenees which want to play around with a dongle-software !
Seriously calling this (or other PPG synths) a "toy" is one of the most stuupid coments i had to read at KVR for a while, and that without having checked the demo yourself (which should be out next week).

This software does not use a dongle an it is NOT a Waldorf product (if that's what you refer to with the dongle comment).
Personally i would not really do a direct comparison with Serum, Codex or other synths. Wavemapper 2 is not built as a replacement for other synths, it has it's own sound and it's own features. I have tried using the same wavetables (my own, craeted with Audio Term) in e.g. Wavemapper 2, Codex and DUNE 2 and they sound different which is mostly based on the different sounding filters (but also on different wavetable file formats).

Yes, in Wavemapper 2 you could import samples as wavetablles but you could also import as TCS (= time corrected samples) which is like a wavetable with small snippets of the sample (instead of single cycles) and when played back it could sound like an actual sample (or just parts of it depending on the playback path and/or envelope).
It's also possible to switch the playback mode to use the TCS as a normal sample (the TCS-mode switch in the Osc section).

FWIW Wavemapper 2 has 13 envelopes where 6 of them are related to the wavetables and pitch for the 3 oscillators.

The playback paths for the wavetable/TCS could do more complex stuff than it is possible with a usual wavetable/envelope combination (the big wavetable display shows up to 256 waveforms sorted in columns and rows where the paths could be drawed). Actually, depending on how complex the path is, the envelope controls the playbackk of the path and not a "linear" wavetable position. This "usual" way is possible too when using a simple two point path in combination with a "linear" path.
When the path uses a "solid" line the waves that the libne crosses will be played. If it is a "dotted" line the waveforms are played in a linear way (one waveform afte tthe other, dpending on the position in the table) with two point of the path as start and end points.

The wavetables are compatible to the Wavegenerator format so you could import your own Wavegenerator wavetables or wavetables created with the compatible format in the Audio Term tool.

One of the main features of Wavemapper 2 is the Sound Map (which is also from where the name comes...) where you could use Icons to combine parts of different patches (e.g. Osc 1 wavetable, Filter etc.) by just moving the Ocons around. After that you could further edit the resulting patch (or just prohram a patch "from scratch" without the Sound Map).
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

MorpherX wrote:

The quality of the generated wavetable is much better.
Oh you poor man. You do'm really sorry. :( :( :( :( :(
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Does Serum or Codex support "voice per channel" , so that individual notes can have different modulations/pitchbend etc?
(seriously if they do, then I will consider buying as well... but Ive seen no mention of it)
thats why I bought WM&WG, its fantastically expressive.

Ingonator wrote:
MorpherX wrote:

Seriously calling this (or other PPG synths) a "toy" is one of the most stuupid coments i had to read at KVR for a while, and that without having checked the demo yourself (which should be out next week).

This software does not use a dongle an it is NOT a Waldorf product (if that's what you refer to with the dongle comment).
Personally i would not really do a direct comparison with Serum, Codex or other synths. Wavemapper 2 is not built as a replacement for other synths, it has it's own sound and it's own features. I have tried using the same wavetables (my own, craeted with Audio Term) in e.g. Wavemapper 2, Codex and DUNE 2 and they sound different which is mostly based on the different sounding filters (but also on different wavetable file formats).

Yes, in Wavemapper 2 you could import samples as wavetablles but you could also import as TCS (= time corrected samples) which is like a wavetable with small snippets of the sample (instead of single cycles) and when played back it could sound like an actual sample (or just parts of it depending on the playback path and/or envelope).
It's also possible to switch the playback mode to use the TCS as a normal sample (the TCS-mode switch in the Osc section).

FWIW Wavemapper 2 has 13 envelopes where 6 of them are related to the wavetables and pitch for the 3 oscillators.

The playback paths for the wavetable/TCS could do more complex stuff than it is possible with a usual wavetable/envelope combination (the big wavetable display shows up to 256 waveforms sorted in columns and rows where the paths could be drawed). Actually, depending on how complex the path is, the envelope controls the playbackk of the path and not a "linear" wavetable position. This "usual" way is possible too when using a simple two point path in combination with a "linear" path.
When the path uses a "solid" line the waves that the libne crosses will be played. If it is a "dotted" line the waveforms are played in a linear way (one waveform afte tthe other, dpending on the position in the table) with two point of the path as start and end points.

The wavetables are compatible to the Wavegenerator format so you could import your own Wavegenerator wavetables or wavetables created with the compatible format in the Audio Term tool.

One of the main features of Wavemapper 2 is the Sound Map (which is also from where the name comes...) where you could use Icons to combine parts of different patches (e.g. Osc 1 wavetable, Filter etc.) by just moving the Ocons around. After that you could further edit the resulting patch (or just prohram a patch "from scratch" without the Sound Map).
1. I called this wavemapper a "toy" because of the Icons which can be moved around like in a game for children (wavemapper 1).
2. This is of course dongle-software because CR/NFR is nearly the same and even more worse. It takes your complete PC in prison with many problems in the long run.
3. The only news seems to be that TCS and Module-Exchanging.
The Module-Exchange is similair to Plex, so it's not really new.
The wavetable playback-features also exists in Serum (called remapping)
I don't know if Codex has this features.

So, all in all very pure results.
Therefore I assume that only very few people will buy this software.

Finding this Wavemapper 2 "toy" to be very inspiring: in short MorpherX, you are way off the mark with your comments...if you don't like it, move along please to your next troll stop :roll:

A question:
I'm just starting to use the TCS function, but I'm having huge difficulty getting the analyser Audio Source to accept waves. What format should they be in, i.e. 16bit, 32bit mono, stereo etc ? I'm also using Wav's less than 4 seconds in duration.
I've tried all the combinations of the above different formats and it seems to be very hit and miss if it accepts a Wav for analysis at all.

Hopefully somebody has an answer.
:)

P.S I've watched the video from Wolfgang Palm about the TCS function - I'm not doing anything different, so it should be working flawlessly.

Dunc wrote:
A question:
I'm just starting to use the TCS function, but I'm having huge difficulty getting the analyser Audio Source to accept waves. What format should they be in, i.e. 16bit, 32bit mono, stereo etc ? I'm also using Wav's less than 4 seconds in duration.
I've tried all the combinations of the above different formats and it seems to be very hit and miss if it accepts a Wav for analysis at all.
So far 16-bit Mono seems to work properly here. I got Wavelab Elements 7 to change the format if needed but most samples and single cycles i had created myself in the past were 16-bit anyway as it is the most compatible format.

For me the most important tools concerning custom wavetables, single cycles and samples are Wavelab Elements 7, the free Audio Term wavetable tool/editor and the now discontinued (but still working) DNR Wave Designer (for creating wavorms from mathematical formulas or free drawing).
Of course also the wavetable editor in Wavegenerator could be very useful also in combination with Wavemapper 2 as the format is compatible.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Gah the C/R copy protection and 7 day demo restriction put me off from buying either WaveMapper 2 or WaveGenerator. A 7 day demo restriction is practically unheard of these days for a new soft synth release. C/R is becoming less and less common also, generally giving in to some sort of license file (Tone2, Enzyme, etc), serial number (u-he, Xfer, etc) or watermarked copy (Madrona Labs, Camel Audio, etc). Wolfgang should consider a different system, I don't imagine I'm the only one put off by this stuff.

i think the demo will work after 7 days only saving presets won't be possible. can't wait for the demo for WM2..

MorpherX wrote: 1. I called this wavemapper a "toy" because of the Icons which can be moved around like in a game for children (wavemapper 1).
Yes, like on the desktop of any Operating System. -> all computers are TOYS!! :hihi:

Multi touch interface??
Amazon: why not use an alternative

KingTuck wrote:Gah the C/R copy protection and 7 day demo restriction put me off from buying either WaveMapper 2 or WaveGenerator. A 7 day demo restriction is practically unheard of these days for a new soft synth release. C/R is becoming less and less common also, generally giving in to some sort of license file (Tone2, Enzyme, etc), serial number (u-he, Xfer, etc) or watermarked copy (Madrona Labs, Camel Audio, etc). Wolfgang should consider a different system, I don't imagine I'm the only one put off by this stuff.
Because a copy protection software not buy? What's that for a statement? 7 days should be more than enough to test this software.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

PietW. wrote: Because a copy protection software not buy? What's that for a statement?
It's a good statement! It says: I don't want to be treated like a potential criminal.
I don't buy C/R myself either. If I buy something, I want to be able to install it without asking permission to do so (authorization server).

I was just creating some patches in Wavemapper 2 using some new own wavetables (created in Audio Term) and ten thought i could check if i could get similar results in Wavegenerator.

I then realized quite fast that this is not really possible due to those reasons:
- In Wavemapper 2 each oscillator could load it's own wavetable and each wavetable could have it's own playback path while in Wavegenerator all 3 Oscs use one wavetable wit ha single playback path
- In Wavemapper 2 you could also layer a wavetable with a sample based Osc and(or a TCS based one which is not possible in Wavegenerator

As long as i would use the same wavetable for all oscillators it would be possible to get comparable results. Even then It would not be possible to use different paths for the 3 oscillators.

Besides that also additional features of Wavemapper 2 like e.g. the Reverb are missing in Wavegenerator.

While Wavemapper does not include a built-in wavetable and waveform editor like Wavegenerator the waveform editor in Wavegenerator could be used to further edit the imported wavetables and/or waveforms.
As already mentioned the format for both Wavegenerator and Wavemapper 2 are compatible.

At the end it is good to have both synths, even if you maybe only use Wavegenerator to create your own wavetables that you then use in Wavemapper 2. Besides the missing wavefom/wavtable editor the synth engine of Wavemapper 2 seems to be superior and also includes additional features like Sample import + Resynthesis, TCS, Multi wavetables (+ TCS) and the Sound Map.
Another Wavegenerator feature not included in Wavemapper 2 is the image transformer where you could transforma small picture (128 x 128 pixels) into a wavetable (by drag & drop).

Last but not least i prefer the interface/GUI in Wavemapper 2 to that in Wavegenerator.

If you express it as a formula it would be like this:
Wavemapper 2 = Wavegenerator + additional features + nicer GUI - wavetable/waveform editor
Ingo Weidner

Feature wise, it sounds similar in some respects to Harmor
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Instruments”