I've just done ABC comparison on 3x EQ's

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't believe that people from the "it's all the same" camp would believe anything. Nothing personal, and I'm NOT saying there is a difference, but in the 10 years I've been here, I've seen it all.

If something doesn't null, then "you can't hear it" to double blind tests to whatever.

I dunno about anyone else but I make my decisions based on how much I like something. There is NOTHING WRONG with really any EQ. You should be able to get by with whatever. But seems to me.....there is always one that comes along that seems to simplify task "whatever"

Case in point. Even though I have some common-sense knowledge of eq's, there are some.....feature rich....that never really work out.

So, though maybe they are all the same in principle, I'm not convinced they are in application.

Of course I have no way to prove anything one way or the other......

loungepanda wrote:Placebo is one helluva drug.
This!

But only works in 30% of all cases...

Placebo or not, I'll bet the terrific mixes here are going largely un-noticed..........

fese wrote:
No it's about 50%. And that is on par with a lot of real drugs.

CableChannel wrote:
fese wrote:
No it's about 50%. And that is on par with a lot of real drugs.
Duh, I made that number up! I'm posting in a forum, do you really expect me to provide scientific facts to make a point? :D

fese wrote:...do you really expect me to provide scientific facts to make a point? :D
Not if it sounds like a Virus. :wink:

i have about a dozen of different EQ's. i can replicate almost anything they do with REAPER EQ. the point is not to have EQ's that sound *different*, the point is convenience. why would i bother centering frequencies and set appropriate Q and this and that, when i can get the same turning one knob on an EQ i know has a top end curve that i like.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:i have about a dozen of different EQ's. i can replicate almost anything they do with REAPER EQ. the point is not to have EQ's that sound *different*, the point is convenience. why would i bother centering frequencies and set appropriate Q and this and that, when i can get the same turning one knob on an EQ i know has a top end curve that i like.
Just create your customized presets with any EQ

Thanks Coxy for your post.
I was checking Eq's some months ago, also the Sonalksis and the Equality plus the Fabfilter ProQ and IKM MasterEQ 432. Also Nebula APEq.
The goal was a master EQ. I used 'equal' settings on all.
The Sonalksis and the IKM were my favourites.
Sonalksis SV517 has a very nice shine to it, don't know how to describe it.
The IKM Mastereq 432 has more depth.
I decided for the IKM. Not sure it's a keeper though; try it some more, got the SV517 still on my mind.
For Nebula I could go for AITB Mammoth but no demo....
usually I like Nebula more for mojo on tracks.
Anyway, I have seen more posts spread the love for the SV517.

I have a few EQs, but I keep going back to Ableton Live's EQ Eight. It's just way more convenient, given Live's workflow. And the filters are great.

I pretty much just stick to hp, lp, high shelf, and low shelf. Maybe one mid band and occasional m/s processing. Other EQs might sound marginally better, but not enough for me to switch.

I've been demoing Pro-Q 2 and it is seriously a leap above Ableton EQ8 in terms of quality and workflow. I usually use EQ8 but I think I might need to buy this.

If you have not tried Pro-Q 2 then I highly recommend you do it.

Another favourite is DMG Audio Equilibrium. Again Demo it if you've never used it before! If you don't have much money *Equilibrium is very expensive* or don't get access to student discounts like me, then you might not want to check out Equilibrium.
:borg:

I really like both, Equilibrium and Pro-Q2

Return to “Effects”