*Manière de Commencement* [Satie]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fr. Trois Morceaux en Forme de Poir. Also used in the play Le Fils des étoiles. Some call it the seventh Gnossienne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euUgmiMs5Ak

- Adaptation: Civil
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Just saw this one, and listened at really low volume. I'll give this another go tomorrow, but I liked what I heard.

there are things in this I know my father would get excited about, I'd love to see his face and his comical show of surprise when thrilled...

Very good. I like the volume contrasts in here, and the way you sometimes play "across" the rhythm. This sounds really good as well. Nice mix. :tu:

Both my wife and I heard this piece...love the way you get things moving in here!!

I have heard it before but this arrangement gives it kick! :love:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

thanks gents.

seismic1 wrote:the way you sometimes play "across" the rhythm.
I do love to do that. Where there are only the 2 pianos and one takes an impromptu, that one crosses the bar getting into its own funky aroma but the pulse remains *in stride*... later the cable cars cross the pulse inside the bar reflecting that somewhat. I had a general plan of the two bands following that, crossing the time rather radically but it was too involved, too complex.

the piano renditions I have heard really go for some rubato. I retain a touch of that (since there are dramatic gestures that suggest a kind of imperative, or gravitas, perhaps ironically knowing Satie) but the goal was to maintain a groove. in one case I formed it into a kind of 9:4 and the last iteration of that one motif straight 7:4. a lot of classical players do not appear to care about where ONE is after a point and the time is too cute by half, these histrionic gestures of pushmepullyou never did a lot for me. it's like a pulse is declassé or something. here the accompaniment is 'stride' basically and the basis is in folk musics. I don't agree that the approach to Chopin or something is apt for it.

there are ways to say the thing but not be daft about it.

jancivil wrote:fr. Trois Morceaux en Forme De Poir. Also used in the play Le Fils des étoiles. Some call it the seventh Gnossienne.

Maniere de Commencement

[Adaptation: Civil]
Very subtle ans interesting work to my ear, nothing easy here...

:clap:

great imaginative piece of work!

Enjoyed it a lot.

just one observation: The percs are over-acting sometimes, but this was just a little dumb nitpicking, please forgive
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Awesome version with fabulous take on it. Love the unexpectedness of it! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Hey thanks. November 2011; I had a couple irons in the fire then.

I recently remixed this one when I found the perfect video, which synced up like this almost doing nothing. It's not very different, I used different reverb basically.

minus redundant YT link
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

:love: :love:

Great video to go with that...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Great to hear this again, and with the video too. They are a good fit :tu:

Thanks, guys

there's something to be said about the drier 2012 mix, though I can only download the mp3 off of official.fm at this point. :(

Officially:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euUgmiMs5Ak

Video: L'iris fantastique, directed by Segundo de Chomón, for Pathé Frères, 1912 (Public Domain).

very slightly edited for the purpose

Fun textures/arrangement and a nice video to top it off. :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”