Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Chris-S wrote:Get some FM training:
http://youtu.be/tivES-sjHc4?t=1h32m55s
:D
+1. Also the last post on page #26 of this thread is a link to a very good pdf book written by the creator of FM synthesis and David Bristow. A very good download :tu:

Maomoondog wrote:
fmr wrote:
overhishead wrote:I noticed that theres a lot of folks wanting the gui to look good, but really if this is an emulation, things such as realtime parameter modification with a slider, and the AMS function should be a few tiers above in priority.

as long as you're emulating, why not adhere to the original? Image

getting crazy with a gui is great and everything, but i am rooting for the development of a complete emulation, which is the stated goal. and well, sound and function is first and foremost. as long as we're being sticklers about the 32 patch limit and all.
Do you REALLY want THAT? :-o Have you ever wondered why there were so many software editors for the DX7? And why more than 90% of the DX7s that went to service to Yamaha had the initial sounds untouched?
I can only agree. One slider ? In the 21st Century ? Not for me, not for most I would think.
i hear what moondog is saying. i like the new gui on this synth, but the overall look could have had a more "inspired by" look of a real DX7. just my 2 bits. :oops:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

just want to add that i did a side by side comparison with my Yamaha TX802 module and can say this VST.
sounds virtually identical! great job. prob won't sell my 802 though because the 802 can
function like eight 2 voice polyphonic dexed's using NO cpu. it will be great for making patches that i can then export as sysex that can be read by the 802 8)
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

toothnclaw wrote:** Maybe introduce a parameter that stores the browser path, if the path gets changed, parameter gets changed, the host gets notified, and you browse per instance, not browse on one path for all instances and not always start from the beginning.

I can't believe I have to explain this to a programmer!
huh... I've removed my original comment...

Keep in mind that suggestions are welcomed; but don't ridicule the developer by telling that changes are easy to do. That is quite insulting.

Within Tracktion 5, I often must restart the audio engine.
Dexed 0.8 sound are chopped while playing when the sequencer is stopped.

I used to use a wrapper, VTS to AU 2.0, with OSX Snow leopard an Logic 9 but it does not work on Maverick and Logic X.
Did you manage to run Dexed within Logic X ?

asb2m10 wrote:
toothnclaw wrote:** Maybe introduce a parameter that stores the browser path, if the path gets changed, parameter gets changed, the host gets notified, and you browse per instance, not browse on one path for all instances and not always start from the beginning.

I can't believe I have to explain this to a programmer!
huh... I've removed my original comment...

Keep in mind that suggestions are welcomed; but don't ridicule the developer by telling that changes are easy to do. That is quite insulting.
You are doing a wonderful job. Dexed is quite a masterpiece that won't be quickly forgotten.

Anybody got Lately / Solid bass preset as sysex? The ones I found were for the TX synths and couldn't be loaded .
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

penguinfromdeep wrote:Anybody got Lately / Solid bass preset as sysex? The ones I found were for the TX synths and couldn't be loaded .
There may be a patch converter out there.

arkmabat wrote: There may be a patch converter out there.
Ok thanks, I will try googling

penguinfromdeep wrote:Anybody got Lately / Solid bass preset as sysex? The ones I found were for the TX synths and couldn't be loaded .
I have the original DX7 ROMs (eight banks in total, but I think the last four are for the TX7 and have the majority of the patches doubles, although in different locations). I downloaded them from somewhere (don't remember where and when already), and they are working. If you want, I can create a link in my Dropbox for them. There are some good bases there, including the famous "FM bass" any ROMpler now have, as well as the even more famous "FM El Piano"
Last edited by fmr on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Actually it was easy, had to do some tinkering but it's cool now! Got the Lately bass sound in Dexed now! I downloaded conversion utility here: http://dxconvert.martintarenskeen.nl

Then installed Python on my Mac and converted the patches downloaded from here: http://patcharena.com/synths/yamaha-tx81z/

The lately bass is in the 3rd factory bank. Yipp! Thanks for the help guys

penguinfromdeep wrote:Actually it was easy, had to do some tinkering but it's cool now! Got the Lately bass sound in Dexed now! I downloaded conversion utility here: http://dxconvert.martintarenskeen.nl
Then installed Python on my Mac and converted the patches downloaded from here: http://patcharena.com/synths/yamaha-tx81z/
The lately bass is in the 3rd factory bank. Yipp! Thanks for the help guys
Any chance of you sharing your sound bank ? :wink:
:tu: All is good

DrewDale wrote: Any chance of you sharing your sound bank ? :wink:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrpczr4msiwez ... d.syx?dl=0

:tu: All is good

I'd just like to say thanks to the dev. because this synth is pulling me back into sound design after many months hiatus. Damn Mega Drive nostalgia...

Return to “Instruments”