Free / Inexpensive Subtractive VA Synth with these features?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote:Synths from Image-Line that meet all or almost the criteria:

SimSynth, Sawer, Poizone and Wasp XL.

Other synths that can do what you want, although they are different (means they can do a lot more): Harmor, Sytrus and Toxic Biohazard.

Anyway, you will be well served with TAL synths, and those have the right price (free) :wink:
Do the Image Line plugs you mentioned, come with the Producer Edition of FL Studio? The bundled plugs oddly are not very easy to determine through googling. The Image Line site trys to make you do some strange "wizard", and the comparison chart links dont seem to have an actual grid of fetures (or list for that matter). Strange.

jrides wrote:
fmr wrote:Synths from Image-Line that meet all or almost the criteria:

SimSynth, Sawer, Poizone and Wasp XL.

Other synths that can do what you want, although they are different (means they can do a lot more): Harmor, Sytrus and Toxic Biohazard.

Anyway, you will be well served with TAL synths, and those have the right price (free) :wink:
Do the Image Line plugs you mentioned, come with the Producer Edition of FL Studio? The bundled plugs oddly are not very easy to determine through googling. The Image Line site trys to make you do some strange "wizard", and the comparison chart links dont seem to have an actual grid of fetures (or list for that matter). Strange.
Like you, I have dificulty to tell what's there and what's not. but the OP has FL Studio Producer (strange name - hmm...) so, he must knoiw what he got in the bundle. And they have special prices for customers.

I mentioned them becuase they have special FL edition (better integration with FL Studio, I guess), and they are good (I have several Image-Line synths, and I like them very much)
Fernando (FMR)

jrides wrote:Do the Image Line plugs you mentioned, come with the Producer Edition of FL Studio?
SimSynth and Wasp comes baked into the Produer Edition. Sytrus you will get the Signature edition.

You gotta buy Sawer, Poizone and other IL plugs separatly.

Not going through the feature list myself. But as usual with these threads, I would offer those 'free' synths that seem to still be a power house in their own right...
Tone 2 Firebird
U-He Tyrell6
Camel Audio Alchemy Player

Doubtful you would miss much with those three in your arsenal.

BBFG# wrote:Not going through the feature list myself.
C'mon :roll:

I mean, Alchemy Player has very few features compared to the full version, it is basically a SFZ player.

I actually have the full version of Alchemy. I also thought it was SFZ based. And did not do subtractive synthesis.
Last edited by jrides on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What about DUNE BE, iloSynth1 or SubDuer?
yzcoruhT

TAL Elek7ro Almost perfectly simple?
TAL Noisemaker (more features same price)
Synth1 - Looks like it has everything, but interface has a lot going on.

SubDuer – Beta / Maybe too many features?
iloSynth1 – Didn’t see a sub osc, but the interface is really straightforward.

SimSynth and WaspXL - Didn't appear to have portamento / legato but they look really cool.

Thanks everyone. These are looking pretty good so far. I will try to shorten the list by looking at only those that work in 64bit.

Numanoid wrote:
BBFG# wrote:Not going through the feature list myself.
C'mon :roll:

I mean, Alchemy Player has very few features compared to the full version, it is basically a SFZ player.
You're missing the whole synth side of it then, it does wonderful VA.
Check out Yuroun's sounds for it.
I did list it third as an addition to the other two though.
(Even though it is first my list).

Considering it's free, I don't see where the OP go wrong with it.

And if it has to be 64 bit, then Firebird gets eliminated

I don't understand why people want a sub-oscillator when a synth has 2, 3 or even 4 regular oscillators with octave setting 8)

Ha! Coz a sub osc is phatter (get it...sub phatty) !! Not seriously, this is a misconception as sub osc typically derived it's VCO timing from the main osc so a seperate osc is in every aspect a better choice!

[*] All the basics ASDHR, Amp, Envelope, Filters etc.
a) must sound funny, and b) even AHDSR envelopes are anything but basic.

Sub osc is really non-essential IMO, and a holdover from the good old days when hardware was the ONLY kind of synth and you pretty much needed just that one extra oscillator to beef up the sound. A second instance of a synth is much more convenient to work with, and you can mix and treat it separately which for me leads to less mud in the final product. If you want to play them both on the keyboard, just set them both to the same midi input channel or put them in a grouping or something... it's DAW specific info at that point.

You want envelopes with hold and you're probably going to be looking at a more complicated synth. I can't really think of any synths off the top of my head besides Oatmeal that have a hold (it's fairly complex, but well organized with the (default... if you get the skin pack) gj skin), but no sub osc. Atlantis has complex envelopes, you you should check that one out... I think it might actually meet all your criteria. TAL-Noisemaker comes pretty close with a complex envelope, but can only be assigned one place. MiniMogueVA comes pretty close, but does not have a hold. PurePone comes pretty close, but does not have a hold.

So those would be my suggestions. Otherwise you might look into modular synths so you can build out exactly what you want with no additional features. Sonigen Modular might be a good option, it has "fade" on the envelopes, whatever that means. I guess it's like a second decay or something. It also has different shaping on the envelopes.

jrides wrote:I actually have the full version of Alchemy. I also thought it was SFZ based. And did not do subtractive synthesis.
Your problems are solved then! Alchemy does all you could possibly want and then more.
http://www.camelaudio.com/alchemymanual ... analog-va/ will get you started. It undeniably has some "bells and whistles" too (not to mention some lovely bell and whistle sounds), but if you don't mind investing a little time learning it, you can do pretty much anything with it.
Textur for ACE
After Hours for Lounge Lizard EP-4
Prism Sticks for Chromaphone 2

Return to “Instruments”