Anyone using a TV for sequencing

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My laptop has the GTX 560M video card w/1.5GB GDDR5.
I'm wondering if this can drive a smallish TV - say 30-32" flatscreen via VGA?

Are any of you using something bigger then a regular 27" computer screen for DAW work? How's the working for you? Thanks.
Kawai MP11, Apogee Duet, MPB 2018, Komplete 10, Spectrasonics Trinity, Ivory II, Pianoteq 6, Ravencroft 275, Logic X, Cubase 8, Spitfire Audio (most products), Superior Drummer 3, ST4

jtiis wrote:My laptop has the GTX 560M video card w/1.5GB GDDR5.

Are any of you using something bigger then a regular 27" computer screen for DAW work? How's the working for you? Thanks.
VGA? Do you mean via a D-SUB connector? Do many TVs have that?
And no, I would never use a TV, because of it's relative* low resolution (*for that size).

T-CM11 wrote:
jtiis wrote:My laptop has the GTX 560M video card w/1.5GB GDDR5.

VGA? Do you mean via a D-SUB connector? Do many TVs have that?
And no, I would never use a TV, because of it's relative* low resolution (*for that size).
edit: and yes, a GTX 560M can run any resolution - even onboard video can do that (as long as the connector(s) allow(s) it).

I use a 15,4" 1920x1080 laptop screen, because of limited space in the studio. I do have a few hardware synths though - they work independently of the computer screen. ;)

Most modern TVs have VGA. The mistake is to use HDMI as it needs its own sound device and wont work for low latency audio. HDMI expects the audio on the cable as well. You can send the audio to another amp/speakers if you do use HDMI. Its worth checking what VGA resolutions are supported on the TV model itself tho, they differ.

UltraJv wrote:Most modern TVs have VGA. The mistake is to use HDMI as it needs its own sound device and wont work for low latency audio. HDMI expects the audio on the cable as well. You can send the audio to another amp/speakers if you do use HDMI.
Good, another excuse to save up for a separate audio interface! ;)

I use Philips 40" TV connected via HDMI.
T-CM11 wrote:And no, I would never use a TV, because of it's relative* low resolution (*for that size).
My TV gives me 1920x1080.
UltraJv wrote:The mistake is to use HDMI as it needs its own sound device and wont work for low latency audio.
There's no problem in using HDMI as long as you use different audio interface for audio output.

For me it works great. I use a laptop, which is connected to a normal computer monitor and Philips TV (TV hooked up above monitor). I often have a mixer window opened on TV and edit/arrange view opened on monitor, while the laptop screen is reserved for non-DAW tools (like, Delay Time Calculator, ScaleTool or something else handy). Very convenient.

If you decide to use TV, make sure that it designed to work with computer in proper resolution. I know some Samsung TVs properly support only 1024x768 when connected to PC, although technically support 1920x1080 (at 1920x1080 the image from PC is blurry and unreadable).
Wonder whether my advice worth a penny? Check my music at Soundcloud and decide for yourself.
re:vibe and Loki Fuego @ Soundcloud

Loki Fuego wrote:I use Philips 40" TV connected via HDMI.
T-CM11 wrote:And no, I would never use a TV, because of it's relative* low resolution (*for that size).
A low resolution for such a big screen. 30"+ PC screens have resolutions of 2560 x 1600 and up.

What about this 40" monitor with 4k (3840 x 2160 pixels) resolution? Although it can be used for tv-purposes it has been designed as monitor, including a low input lag (3ms). :love:

The only concern to me is how will a screen this size and resolution affect the sound from the monitor speakers? Because of the resolution one has to sit quite close to it otherwise a HD-screen would suffice.
Last edited by Timfonie on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

T-CM11 wrote:
A low resolution for such a big screen. 30"+ PC screens have resolutions of 2560 x 1600 and up.
No, it's not low. You wouldn't be placing 40" panel in front of your nose just to see something at high resolution. And if you hang it like I did, then 1920x1080 is a right resolution. Besides, if you have three screens, then you don't really need 2560x1600.
Wonder whether my advice worth a penny? Check my music at Soundcloud and decide for yourself.

Timfonie wrote:What about this 40" monitor with 4k (3840 x 2160 pixels) resolution? Although it can be used for tv-purposes it has been designed as monitor, including a low input lag (3ms). :love:
I can't imagine myself sitting in front 40" monitor comfortably. And I'm afraid it will be great eye-killer.

Haven't used a TV for a monitor since my Atari ST days ... it ran on some monitor emulation software. PC monitors are so cheap these days ... I got 2 secondhand 17" monitors for £8 earlier this year.

Loki Fuego wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
No, it's not low. You wouldn't be placing 40" panel in front of your nose just to see something at high resolution. And if you hang it like I did, then 1920x1080 is a right resolution. Besides, if you have three screens, then you don't really need 2560x1600.
It's not about "seeing something at high resolution", it's about how much can fit on the screen; more plugins, mixer channels, tracks, etc. at the same time. A 40" 1080P TV is just the same as my 15,4" 1080P laptop screen, only further away from my face. Where's the advantage in that?

UltraJv wrote:The mistake is to use HDMI as it needs its own sound device and wont work for low latency audio.
There's no problem in using HDMI as long as you use different audio interface for audio output.

For me it works great. I use a laptop, which is connected to a normal computer monitor and Philips TV (TV hooked up above monitor). I often have a mixer window opened on TV and edit/arrange view opened on monitor, while the laptop screen is reserved for non-DAW tools (like, Delay Time Calculator, ScaleTool or something else handy). Very convenient.

If you decide to use TV, make sure that it designed to work with computer in proper resolution. I know some Samsung TVs properly support only 1024x768 when connected to PC, although technically support 1920x1080 (at 1920x1080 the image from PC is blurry and unreadable).
My Sony 40" wont allow analogue audio while HDMI is in use. The analogue input is muted. The HDMI on the micro PC I use to watch movies dosnt have audio on it. A few friends report the same. I use an external hifi amp n speakers.

I used to produce on my 40" lcd tv in my living room whilst sitting on the couch :D

Had a pc hooked up to the tv, along with a wireless keyboard, mouse and a pair of headphones with a long cable. I kinda miss that set-up sometimes, but ended up moving to a desk when I got my monitors.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”