Ableton Live 9 for Film Scoring ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I'm writing music for TV Ads and series everyday. My primary DAW is Logic Pro X. I want to move another because i don't feel comfortable on Logic Pro X anymore. There are a lot of bugs and ugly-impractical UI design which really slow me down while doing job.

I like Cubase but i found it unstable on Mac OS X system.
I also have DP8, it is awesome for midi but I need native loop-sample browser and quick/easy audio modification tools on my primary DAW that DP8 doesn't have.

Is there anyone who using Ableton Live 9 for scoring video? What are the pros and cons ? All I know is That It has very good audio manipulation tools and M4L has potential and midi side is weak.

Thanks.

Only way you're going to know for sure if Live is for you is to use the demo. Bottom line, seriously.

I don't use Live for scoring video; however, I enjoy the workflow Live offers. The ability to create a clip and then move it around in the session view is the best feature for me. The MIDI features are sufficient for me.

But it has been VERY unstable on my system, until I added VEP5 on a slave machine about a month ago. Since then it has been a REAL pleasure working in Live again ;)

Given your workload it is likely you are using high memory libraries. If so, it is likely you will plateau and CRASH! That was my experience and the reason I decided to go with VEP5.

Others have had no problems working in Live or getting it to crash. Go figure. Who know why? I have a powerful rig and had nothing but problems until recently.

I'll say again - Go download the demo and use it, use it, use it :)

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I've been scoring a film in Live 9, for the last while, and I find the workflow much better than in Logic.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dazexus

He knows his stuff I guess.

I've scored for a couple of short films with Live. Works fine for me (not used Logic in over 10 years).

I wouldn't bother using Ableton for any serious scoring, it has notoriously terrible issues with timing, and automation not being latency compensated at all, which can cause a lot of problems when trying to sync up with video. Maxforlive also suffers from these timing problems. I'd definitely go with Logic or Cubase.

Read this thread for more details:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=356594

I haven't involved myself on "that" side yet completely but here we go.

I have Ableton Live 8 Suite. It's workflow is nice but when recording the midi such as Session View over to Arrangement view the old Audio has to get erased. the way around that is to save the Audio Clip and replace it later or have it sitting in the play view and record alongside and with the Midi Session View "again" and with, persay.

I called Ableton. Supposedly it's a little easier or better in Live 9. M4L seems way out there for easiness. Too hard. Why bother.

Ofcourse also as a side note I recommend Waves.com Limiters. All the blacks.

Call Ableton and ask. They are friendly. try the front desk and maybe tech support but probably front desk. Ask about bugs and stuff. they have usually told me when things are not going too well.

Anthony lowery
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Out of curiosity, what quick/easy audio modifications are you looking to do that DP doesn't?
Also, for sample/loop browsers, have you checked out audioease's snapper, or ice audio's audiofinder?
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

I think if you already own DP8 you should strongly consider using that for film scoring. It has the best tools built in for managing a film score project, hands down. If you have some specific audio editing that you feel it is not adequate, I suggest you figure out a work around for those tasks, or consult motunation, maybe its more possible then you initially think?

If your film score is just really some straight through music without any timing considerations, then it really doesn't matter what DAW you use, and the fact that its a film score is irrelevant. But if you are dealing with managing multiple cues and hitting hit points and all that stuff, DP is the one you want.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

I'd be slightly concerned about Live's timing if you need to hit certain marks, or use alot of automation or 3rd party tempo-based instruments or effects. Relative to Logic, Live feels less solid in that area. (I have used Logic w/ video and it's 100% solid.)

In general, Live in Session View mode is fantastic (for me, the best) for general composition (not sure about scoring) but in Arrange view, I've got so say as far as timing, automation and a solid vibe, Logic wins, bugs and dark interface and all. I do love Live, and the flexibility, but it's not exactly bug-free either.

Phase47 wrote:I'd be slightly concerned about Live's timing if you need to hit certain marks
+1 The draw in Live is the session view, but it works really poorly if you have a video to sync up to and try any tempo or meter changes. Hard to describe but basically it'll conform the new meter/tempo to timeline and shift your cue around when you launch tempo/meter by rows. Unless you like arrange view (which other DAW is stronger imo) it is quite painful

I think any daw will work if you feel confortable. but Steinberg and Avid has post production tools so they might be better either way.

If you have DP8 then you should stick with that. REX and Apple Loops work fine in DP8. If you need flexible audio time stretching get Melodyne or Live and rewire it in. Pitch wise, the built in is more than good enough. DP8 is so dammed slick with film scoring you would be a fool not to use it.

Seriously, why settle for a lesser DAW in this department?

ableton live has no native surround sound support, so it's not the real deal for mixing movie stuff...
a=440hz

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”