Slowdown issues for Samsung 840 EVO SSDs for files older than 3-6 months

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sweet !! thanks :tu:

I actually don't have a cd drive in my MacBook Pro. Can I run this using the using the 'bootable usb disk'? Can anyone explain what this is and how it works? I'm kinda clueless on this stuff and don't want to mess anything up! Any help gratefully received! Thanks

This is what the Samsung installation guide says:
If you use a USB device
1) Please set your USB drive into a “bootable” state before starting the Performance
Restoration software.
2) For assistance on completing this step, please refer to USB boot utilities from a
trusted internet site.
3) Extract the provided zip file into the bootable USB drive you created (extract to the
root directory).
4) Boot the target system from the bootable USB created in the previous step. Please
run perf.exe.
I have no idea how to make a USB drive bootable (that's why I went the CD route) -- maybe someone else can chime in?
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 12.6 | MOTU 828es | MOTU M4 | Studio One 6 | Logic 10.7

sazb30 wrote:I actually don't have a cd drive in my MacBook Pro. Can I run this using the using the 'bootable usb disk'? Can anyone explain what this is and how it works? I'm kinda clueless on this stuff and don't want to mess anything up! Any help gratefully received! Thanks
If you have an acces to a windows computer to create your USB drive.... (If you don't have an acces to a windows computer, just find an alternative software for "Rufus" on google for step 1 to 5)

1. Download Rufus at http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

2. Plug the usb flash drive into your windows machine.

3. Execute Rufus.

4. In Rufus, in "device" box, make sure it's your usb drive that is selected.

5. Click "Start"

6. Download this : http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... otable.zip

7. Unzip it

8. Inside this unziped folder, you will find a FW folder and a PERF.EXE (those are inside the "840Perf" folder. Copy FW and PERF.EXE on your USB drive (beside the 3 files/folder that are already there)

9. Now take that USB drive and plug it onto your mac and boot from that usb drive.

10. Now just type "PERF.EXE" and press "enter" to run the program.

11. Identify your Samsung SSD (probably "0"), so type 0 and hit enter.

12. Type y, enter ....y again and enter

13. Wait! ...and done

Thankyou Jolaff, that's great. I'll give this a shot over the weekend and report back.

Hi Jolaf, I've been trying this for the past 2 days and just about ready to give up.

Apart from trying every possible way to get magician and proper updaters working through Windows and Mac (via crossover), neither system can even see the drive in the Samsung software - this is because I use the SSD as an external USB and all magician/updater can see is USB drive - they don't recognise it's the Samsung drive within the USB holder... no matter which caddy or cable I use. Frustrating.

So then I tried using Rufus creating ISO, DMG and DOS bootable USBs on Windows and OSX like you said above... but I cannot get this to work. It seems impossible!

My mac doesn't ever see a bootable drive and I've tried booting holding down C to force to boot from (what it thinks is a) CD, and still nothing, thinks about it for a while and then boots normally.

Windows, I changed the BIOS to boot from the USB and depending on how I've built I get all sorts of different error messages come up, or DOS hanging.

Nothing works.

Jolaf can you tell me, step by step, how you got this to work please? I followed you're instructions, but it didn't work, it runs some DOS code on screen, then boots straight into Windows. On Mac, it does nothing, I don't know how to get it to boot into DOS on my MAC to enter PERF.EXE.

Are you making a USB that boots for Mac or Windows?

In Rufus, please can you list exact setting for the following please:

Partition Scheme
File System
Cluster Size
Do you create a bootable disk? If so, do you make FreeDOS, MS-DOS, ISO, or DMG
If ISO or DMG, do you select the actual ISO/IMG, or do you just select files within it?

Think that's about it

Thanks

Tried one last time and finally managed to get the DOS build booting on a Windows machine from USB. Ran PERF.EXE and it searched for my SSD but it couldn't find my EVO which was plugged into the other USB?????

you're going to have to take the drive out of the usb enclosure and directly attach it via sata to the pc

Thanks jdnz... you're totally right, nothing worked when the drive was working through USB, nothing could see it.

So, took the drive out of my work PC, put the SSD in, ran the bootable USB updater and all good :)

For other people trying to do this, the bottom line is, unless you can put this in a machine connected directly to SATA, then you have no chance getting the updater to work.

Doesn't what OS/system/computer you have, if it's not connected to the internal SATA port, the drive will only show up as a USB storage device and will not be recognised specifically as the Samsung SSD.

Hope this helps other people save 2 days of their lives :)

It doesn't have to be an internal SATA port, but it must be a real SATA port. I bought another 840 after they released this and tried to upgrade it in my Anker external USB bay (lets you plug a drive in directly with no mounting hardware). The Samsung software couldn't see it on USB3. But the bay also supports eSATA, so I dug up the cables and switched it and the software worked fine. But that's only because my motherboard and case had an external eSATA port and I had hooked it up. Not sure how common external eSATA connections are. I wasn't using it because in general it wasn't as robust as USB3 when swapping drives and the speed was about the same.
-Matt

msorrels wrote:The Samsung software couldn't see it on USB3. But the bay also supports eSATA, so I dug up the cables and switched it and the software worked fine.
eSATA is really just a hardware standard for connectors/cable length on top of 'normal sata', so as far as the host is controlled it's the same, wheras in usb mode you've got a usb/sata bridge controller sitting in the middle of the chain getting in the way

I think I'm going to do this in a few.....I'm bored and uninspired...seems like a good time.

Been waiting this out myself. I have 3 systems i need to do this on and making sure the kinks are shook out. :) i know there was at least one update since this release.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

I chickened out.

I'm at 40% done at about 2.5 hours in.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”