Audio confessions

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love autotune. Well Melodyne. The sound of tuned vocals, robotic, weird; I love it. Don't need it, but I use it anyway. Has nothing to do with it being popular.

I love compression. Ridiculous amounts of it.

Distortion. Digital clipping. It's beautiful.

Vinyl filth, noise, the static of shortwave radio; amp noise, guitar finger squeaks and scrapes... I love noise. The dirtier, uglier, and more horrific it is the better I like it.

What things do you like that you "shouldn't" (for whatever reason)?

Well, I know it's not something people "dislike" per se, but I greatly prefer digital-sounding wavetable/additive/FM synths like FM7, Nave, PPG Wave, and Phosphor to analogue modeled ones like Diva or A.C.E. Some people probably think that's weird. Don't get me wrong. They're great-sounding synths, but I think crazy-ass digital synths are more representative of "the future" of synthesis, where the sounds are extremely artificial and unfamiliar.

I love vocoded (is that a word) drums and pretty much every single instrument besides vocals through a vocoder.

Noisy tubes also sound really great, like way past when you're supposed to change them.

-Sam

I know! I'm right with you on that, love vocoders. And distortion on them. And delay through reverb then through distortion.

i have two britney spears tunes on one of my itunes playlists :ud:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:i have two britney spears tunes on one of my itunes playlists :ud:
[/thread]
... space is the place ...

My confession: I'm a sucker for cheesy synth choir sounds with formant manipulation, as demoed at the start of this FS1R video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfVgo-FBihU

:love:

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:i have two britney spears tunes on one of my itunes playlists :ud:
[/thread]
i don't know what that means :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:
[/thread]
... the end of the thread ... no more posts required etc. etc.

Or, a lame joke :)

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:
[/thread]
... the end of the thread ... no more posts required etc. etc.

Or, a lame joke :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: gotcha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:tu:

I also listen to new age music, sometimes.

The anit-keyboards metal head of my youth would be disgusted.

I only like autotune when it's a parody video.

Well, i don't use samples but I make occasionally remixes or mashups just for fun... To make them I love to take samples from famous female pop singers, like Christina Aguilera, Britney, Adele etc.

I like to actually try, and not just slap basic concepts together. Is that a confession, or my saving grace?

you know what I'm saying; smooth friendly synth-compressor-equalizer-limiter

now isn't that pretty. Wait, what gender am I?!
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I have whatever the opposite of golden ears is. All those things that are supposed to be wrong with EQs, all the "bad" filters and "cold" synths and whatever, are just fine to me. A 192k MP3 sounds basically perfect to me (below 128 starts to get yucky though).

Most of the plugins that are supposed to make stuff sound "warmer" or more "vintage" or add subtle saturation or "glueing" with a compressor sound like they're either doing nothing, or nothing interesting. We have unlimited sonic potential to work with and people want to emulate the sound of a mixing console that wasn't supposed to have altered anything. :scared:
Codestation wrote:Distortion. Digital clipping... Vinyl filth, noise, the static of shortwave radio; amp noise, guitar finger squeaks and scrapes... I love noise.
Yup. That's where it's at. :borg: Aliasing too, sometimes.

Another confession: most of the time when someone mentions a genre I don't really know what they're talking about. And I suspect they probably don't know, either.

I've made use of broken mp3 glitch sounds before. It's a pretty unique sound that's instantly recognisable to anyone who's had mp3s from when they first started to appear, so I've only used it once, and had the track basically descend from pleasant ambience/drone into a warbling, cracking, hiccupping, distorted mess.

I don't use compression much, but I completely overused it on a piano one a track so much that the piano pushed everything away on it's attack, and slowly sucked the rest back into the mix on the tail - totally unintentional and noob mistake, but I ended up liking the effect! Again - only once, as I didn't want that push-pull compression thing to be a major part of "my sound".

Accidents often stay in the tune. Sometimes they can end up being the basis, while all the original plans I had for the track get slowly whittled away.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”