LAST CHANCE! Poly-Ana and L'il Poly-Ana 1.20 BETA w. OSX x64 AU support!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AdmiralQuality wrote:And the customer is now okay!

Thanks again for the help, fmr!
You're welcome. I am still demoing your synth, but I am with an eye on it :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

Dan_E10 wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote: And the MIDI maps are supposed to be compatible with the old ones. But MIDI channel has been added to them now so maybe I messed something up. (When reading an old map it's supposed to assume channel 1.) I'll take a look at that, thanks.
I'll play with it some more. I am not on OSX, but I did move the directory where the midi map was stored.
Dan
That can't be the default MIDI map, which is saved in the Registry under Windows, not in a file. (On OSX it's a file /Users/(you)/Library/Application Support/Admiral Quality/Poly-AnaDefMIDI.pam On Windows it's in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Admiral Quality\Poly-Ana\Options)

So if you have a .pam file in Windows it's one you explicitly saved and won't be loaded automatically. Perhaps you just didn't load it into Poly-Ana? (And note that it only affects that one patch/program that you load it into. If you want it to apply to all built-in patches, save it as the default MIDI Map and restart Poly-Ana.)

Let us know if that helps. Thanks!

AdmiralQuality wrote: That can't be the default MIDI map, which is saved in the Registry under Windows, not in a file. (On OSX it's a file /Users/(you)/Library/Application Support/Admiral Quality/Poly-AnaDefMIDI.pam On Windows it's in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Admiral Quality\Poly-Ana\Options)

Hi Mike,
No, it's not the default midi map. It's one I created in the previous version of Poly Ana to map filter cutoff/resonance/envelope params/etc. to some of the sliders in my M-audio Axiom. I had saved it in the original install directory. When I loaded the map into the beta, none of the assigned controls did anything. When I reverted to 1.1911, they all worked again. I still haven't had a chance to play with it any more, but I'll let you know if I see anything different when I do.
Dan

Dan_E10 wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote: That can't be the default MIDI map, which is saved in the Registry under Windows, not in a file. (On OSX it's a file /Users/(you)/Library/Application Support/Admiral Quality/Poly-AnaDefMIDI.pam On Windows it's in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Admiral Quality\Poly-Ana\Options)

Hi Mike,
No, it's not the default midi map. It's one I created in the previous version of Poly Ana to map filter cutoff/resonance/envelope params/etc. to some of the sliders in my M-audio Axiom. I had saved it in the original install directory. When I loaded the map into the beta, none of the assigned controls did anything. When I reverted to 1.1911, they all worked again. I still haven't had a chance to play with it any more, but I'll let you know if I see anything different when I do.
Dan
Email me the file and I'll check it out. Also I still have to doublecheck this, maybe it's actually not compatible with the new format (though it was supposed to be). aq (at) admiralquality.com

AH-HA!

Yes, you're probably right. I know what happened now. It's defaulting to 0 for channel when it loads an old format .pam file that doesn't have channel info for the CC# mappings. In the new system 0 is reserved to mean "mapping off", *not* MIDI channel 1 (which in MIDI is actually numbered 0 -- hence my confusion.) Should be easy enough to fix.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Check this out! When I first heard it I assumed he was using mostly real analog synths. (I had previously seen photos of the band playing a Prophet 08 on stage.) I asked him if he used any Poly-Ana on it and it totally blew my mind when he told me that almost ALL of the synths on this track and the EP it's from are Poly-Ana! Wow! :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHStqbHnfhg

http://vimcortez.com/

If I turn the Amp Level of an oscillator to zero, will it shut of the oscillator to reduce cpu usage? It does not appear to be so, but I might be wrong.

Would be a very welcome method to save some cpu power :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:If I turn the Amp Level of an oscillator to zero, will it shut of the oscillator to reduce cpu usage? It does not appear to be so, but I might be wrong.

Would be a very welcome method to save some cpu power :)
Nope. (Because that oscillator may well be being used as a modulation source.)

There are some optimizations of this kind in the code. But offhand I forget exactly where they are. Anyway, you can just watch your host's CPU monitor and test this empirically yourself.

You should instead use the Quality setting and/or the Polyphony control to limit CPU. You shouldn't be finding Poly-Ana uses that much power on a modern system. It was widely hailed as a "pig" when it first came out 8 years ago, but hardware has caught up, just as we expected it would. (It's also probably about 2X more CPU efficient than it was in its earliest incarnations.) These days it is quite competitive in CPU usage, compared to certain other notable competing products.

One thing that saves a fair bit of CPU is turning Analog Drift to zero, which is fairly expensive as it affects every oscillator and filter individually.

Ok thanks for the tips :)

I noticed that turning on the saturation sounds very pleasing and and does not effect the cpu usage very much, which is nice. It gives the sounds more "body" but it also seems to increase the volume, so I wonder if that is also a reason why it sounds more "full"?
Last edited by Nielzie on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nielzie wrote:Ok thanks for the tips :)

I noticed that turning on the saturation sounds very pleasing and and does not effect the cpu usage very much, which is nice. It gives the sounds more "body" but it also seems to increase the volume, so I wonder if that is also the reason why it sounds more "full"?
Because people like distortion. :)

AdmiralQuality wrote:

I noticed that turning on the saturation sounds very pleasing and and does not effect the cpu usage very much, which is nice. It gives the sounds more "body" but it also seems to increase the volume, so I wonder if that is also the reason why it sounds more "full"?
Very true, but in most equalizers,compressors, etc. turning on the saturation does not seem to increase the output level that much, that's why I asked :)

Poly-Ana really sounds awesome(ly analogue) though :love:

Nielzie wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote:

Very true, but in most equalizers,compressors, etc. turning on the saturation does not seem to increase the output level that much, that's why I asked :)

Poly-Ana really sounds awesome(ly analogue) though :love:
It's a bit of both. The saturator in Poly-Ana (and SCAMP as well) boosts levels, but also prevents them from ever exceeding 0 dB. (Which is something that's allowed in VST and AU land and which Poly-Ana will happily do when the Saturation is off. It's only at the final output from your DAW that you need to worry about clipping.)

And that non-linear response creates a big distortion that is often desirable and realistic sounding.

Poly-Ana and L'il Poly-Ana 1.20 BETA 5 are released!

CHANGES:
1.20 BETA 5 2014-11-09
- L'il PolyAna has now joined the Beta and now uses the new keyfile based authentication system. (Existing L’il PolyAna owners, please contact us at sales@admiralquality.com to receive your new keyfile.)
- Quality buttons failing to redraw correctly after changes in some hosts should be fixed. (Let us know please!)
- Minor changes to the authentication system to support cohabitation with L’il PolyAna.

L'il PolyAna is a “lite”, preset-player-only version of PolyAna with a smaller interface and a discounted price, which is limited to only the performance section controls (Volume, Tune, Quality, Polyphony, Bend Range, etc.) as well as the 4 most popular and useful to tweak voice controls -- the 2 filter Cutoff and Resonance controls.

L’il PolyAna contains the exact same sound engine as the full version of PolyAna, and can load and play program (.pap) and bank (.pab) files saved from the full, licensed version of PolyAna.

If you're looking for the least inexpensive way to get the full Poly-Ana sound, this is it. L'il Poly-Ana goes for half the price of regular, full Poly-Ana, AND we're offering both for half-price during the 1.20 BETA. That puts L'il Poly-Ana's price at an outrageously low $47.98 USD! This is most probably the last update of this Beta series, we expect to be returning to regular pricing on the next update which could happen at any time. (I'll promise you at least a week from today.) So, last warning, if you want in on this half price Beta offer, ACT NOW!

One thing before anyone asks: I'm still working on getting the custom background images loading. OSX users can actually edit the package contents and replace the background image. (Right click the .vst or .component file to Show Package Contents, then navigate to the Resources folder. The background files are Poly-Ana_BG_1000x750.png and LilPoly-Ana_BG_409x224.png. Replace either or both of those with your custom versions, named to match the files they're replacing.) In Windows that's a lot harder to do, you need a piece of software called a Resource Editor. But hang on a bit longer, I expect the next update should have custom backgrounds working for both OSes again. Sorry it's taking so long, it's another bunch of code we had to abandon and start over again from scratch on in order to make the GUI x64 compatible on OSX.

http://www.admiralquality.com/products/LilPoly-Ana/

http://www.admiralquality.com/products/Poly-Ana/

Oh and regarding the MIDI Maps. Sorry, but you're going to have to make them again. The new format, which includes MIDI channel as well as CC#, isn't compatible with the old format. (Previously we used CC#0 to mean "off", but that wasn't really right as CC#0 is a perfectly valid CC#. Now we use Channel 0 to mean "off" (as MIDI channel 0 is officially referred to as MIDI channel 1 -- which is what Poly-Ana's MIDI Learn interface will show now as well). Unfortunately the old format contained zeros in the bits we now store channel in, so they will import as all off. This will also affect old host projects that are reloaded with the new version of Poly-Ana. Their MIDI mappings will seem to be gone and will need to be re-learned.

I try to never break things with the updates, and after 8 years haven't broken the voice architecture yet even though it's been greatly expanded over that time. But the MIDI maps are going to be an exception, I'm afraid. Sorry about that one. But on the plus side, you can now map every control by using more than one MIDI channel. (Before you were limited to only 127 but Poly-Ana has something like 240 controls.)

If this really messes anyone up, I could probably throw a little program or web script together fairly quickly to process the old format into the new format. Let me know.

Return to “Instruments”