Why doesn't Sound on Sound mag. have an FL Studio section?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tony tony chopper wrote:I wrote that, contrary to making digital music from scratch, which is now doable by anyone anywhere, recording is still reserved to the elite who has the money, hardware & knowledge.
Are you saying that it's not true, that you CAN get proper recordings in the middle of a city with no money & technical knowledge? You'll have to explain that to the many who are making -audio- tutorial videos with the worst possible sound.
What can you record inexpensively? An electric guitar, and..?

Even just to PERFORM/train, you need to own a dedicated place with little neighborhood. There is no way any band would be able to train anywhere in the place I live in, and that excludes a lot of people in the world.
I know the conversation has moved on a bit, but I'd like to respond to this patent nonsense. First off, technology has moved on, and a lot of people are doing recording with everything ITB, not micing up amps and drum kits. There are plugins that simulate amps, pedal boards as well as external solutions like the Kemper profiling amp my band's guitarists use. Our band consists of:
1 e-drum kit
3x guitars through various pedal boards and outboard sims
1x bass DI
1x keyboard
3x Vocals
All of those are plugged straight into a mixing desk and are easily recorded in a tiny room in the middle of the city using headphones to monitor. The only thing that isn't easy to record are the vocals, because they obviously pick up a lot of the room. Even so, it's something you can work around and not the end of the world.

We do a lot of live recording with everyone playing together, then might do several takes of a single part of the song and have various instruments re-record a certain part, add extra guitar tracks/backing vocals etc. We don't have time to faff around with Edison, we want to record in situ, choose the takes we like most on the fly while everyone is there and then record the next thing. Sure, once we're done, someone has to sit through the takes on their own and put everything together, but you don't want to be doing that while the rest of the band twiddles their thumbs. It's a massve productivity and creativity killer.

Dismissing the idea of home recording because of a few poorly recorded YT vids smacks of a weird sort of elitism, as if people who are recording their bands on their own are really only using "toys".

Yep, I agree. You CAN get proper recordings in the middle of a city with no money.
tony tony chopper wrote:What can you record inexpensively? An electric guitar, and..?
Electric guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, vocals. I think almost every instrument except for the loud ones. It is really not that difficult. You might have to deal with certain problems (noise, ugly reverb, etc.), but it's all manageable.
Wonder whether my advice worth a penny? Check my music at Soundcloud and decide for yourself.
re:vibe and Loki Fuego @ Soundcloud

Guys, there are even sequencers that allow video editing, and I'm sure that makes sense depending on what you do. But what would be the point of us focusing on that?
In the list of "sequencers you should do like", I haven't seen the ones in FL's caregory (like, Live), and eventually, the one who has to record bands in a studio the whole day, isn't gonna use a tool designed for composing or live performances, whatever we did about it.
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

whyterabbyt wrote: well, in the context of this thread that would be because that 'situation' is the main focus of Sound On Sound magazine in the first place..

And yet this thread is a complaint that FL should be (forced) onto the pages of a magazine where the focus is on a 'form' that FL doesnt have.
Indeed, if the intention of making this thread and writing those FR was just to get featured on a magazine, that would be ridiculous and funny.

Chopper wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
FL is a "toy", right? :roll: :?
before reacting that typical fanboy way, do you understand what i was replying to???
Who you referring to as a fanboy, m8?

:help:

You sound like a basher then, conversely speaking. Are you? :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Hink wrote:
tony tony chopper wrote:
Kriminal wrote: Synthesizer/Keyboard etc
Drum Machine
it's safe to say that it's what plugin now do, no?

Kriminal wrote: Vocals (or any sound thru a mic)

You can get a decent soundcard and mic pretty cheap.
come on..
in 15 years we've hired people to make tutorial videos for us. We're talking professionals here, and even here the audio recording was generally horrible (even worse when they tried to gate the noise in-between words). It's only recent that we have proper audio recordings, and that's because Scott is a mic fetishist (he really is), and has built his own studio.

The soundcard or anything after the mic isn't even the problem.
All you need is to pick a random youtube video to realize that recording audio is anything but easy.
I guess that depends on who you are, the two top amps (btw this is just a part of my amp collection) were custome built for me with my specs to create an awesome modular tube amp system by Jim Frenzel (scroll down for my soundclip and review). No one here has said that recording audio is easy, and tbh I was going to stay away from this thread until I read that comment. I dont want anything to be easy, but I wlll say that I walk away very proud when Frenzel amps decides my recordingas are good enough to post my review and soundclip on their page.

My speakers for the iso cab

my collection of tubes because the main power amp in my rig can use any octal based tubes

no pics of my mics but I have all the mics I need (though I do want an e906), but to sum it...some of us have put years and even decades into learning how to record audio and tbh when we say that we really like FL but we do not find the recording of audio to be intuitive that is not a slam against FL, it's from years of experience of works best for us. It is no reflection on your awesome work gol...it's simply a fact that cannot be disputed by anyone else.

It's lovely all these people make so much money using FL, I am not in it for money...I play because it's my passion and that is the case with many, many more people. People gol, who have spent as much time learning what is best for them and developing their own habits, work flows and preferences as you have spent building FL.

I think people who praise FL but point out the one flaw that does not go along with their workflow deserves a little more respect than to have someone who doesn't really know us from a hole in the wall might know better what works for us.

Jees, this crap here at KvR is getting old fast, I for one am damn sick of people telling me what is best for me. After almost 44 years in this game I have a good idea what is best for me and for recording audio FL is not nor never has been the best answer...why cant people respect that?
Precisely. :) :)

Just because it primarily is for ITB work should not make it a bad DAW... it just is a different workflow.

Sheeesh.
Barry

Chopper wrote:
Image-Line wrote:
If you are recording a vocal or a vocal and a guitar over your project, no problem. If you start recording 8 things (impatient band members) and over multiple takes and then partial takes, it's going to get messy.
is a drumkit an impatient band member?

you really don't get our point, do you?
Drum kits are part of the problem with recording with FL, I thought....
Barry

tony tony chopper wrote:
BMoore wrote: And still your hired professionals couldn't make proper audio recordings without a mic fetishist and his new studio?!
Judge by yourself, does this sound any good to you? Do you even think this has to do with the software, or that this got recorded into an audio sequencer? No software can fix this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWbYoM7xubU

I think this one is the worst in our archive, with the constant background noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgd38lMcAJk
Damn. I would have had a fantastic point, if I hadn't missed the "not" in bold in the quote I replied to below:
tony tony chopper wrote: Edison's denoiser is licensed from iZotope, can you beat that?
& yet, it's not gonna do miracles & fully denoise something that hasn't been recorded in a proper studio to start with.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

I wonder how it is going to work on some 2" tape I have of my band that was recorded back in the late 1960's...whistleface...
Barry

Wow Hink-that amp head looks very interesting. I've only had a Marshall Valvestate(the cheapest one they have), and a Peavey one that sucked that I got from a pawn shop.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Image-Line wrote:
Hink wrote:It's lovely all these people make so much money using FL, I am not in it for money...I play because it's my passion and that is the case with many, many more people?
So are you saying that our Power Users (who are just a tiny fraction of the quality musicians and composers using FL Studio) are not as passionate as *you* about their 'art' ?

Check Aleksander Vinter (Savant) ... he is off the hook passionate about what he does. Definitely not in it for the money. He releases 100's of free tracks and will show anyone exactly how he makes his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyXMhf0NbOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PItUDGA9x38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFM4qahWo6E

Regards Scott
of course I didn't say that and I will appreciate it if you not put words in my mouth and next time quote the entire post instead of selective quoting which often leads to points being taken out of context (or being twisted like you are right now). You're suppose to be the professional here and you're not looking like one. All my criticism is 100% constructive and you still cannot take that for what it is.

I really do not care about any power user, they do not matter to me, it's marketing, that's all. EVERYONE who knows me even a little knows I am not influenced by name dropping from other companies, I dont do signature models gear because those things are tricks to get sales too. I am a very educated consumer (I was a very educated retail salesman for years as well) I research my purchases to the extreme. What the pros use does not nor never will be why I buy anything, because no one on this earth knows what is better for me than me.

My ways are quite different than other people but they work well for me, my goals in music are not the same as others but they work for me. I never tell anyone they should do as I do, I respect the perspective of others will be different than mine. So why can you not show the same respect here to people. Once again I have not dissed FL at all, I have only stated what works best for me and it doesn't sink in at all because you're not going to listen to anyone else.

It seems to me that IL/FL do not realize one simple fact...it's not about IL/FL, it's about the user/customers.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: I really do not care about any power user, they do not matter to me, it's marketing, that's all.
A runner who's paid to endorse shoes, that's marketing. The shoes he's really using, that's not marketing, that has value. We never paid anyone for endorsement.
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

james0tucson wrote:
Hink wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:
bluedad wrote: I didn't say FL Studio is no good, merely implying that for audio it's nowhere near intuitive.
I envy folks that work in it; it looks cool, has imaginative tools..it's just not intuitive for me.
edit - Maybe SOS should have a section just for that reason alone, us guys who just don't get it, but would like to.
I couldn't understand it at first, then I watched this video, and it's been easy from then on (I never record audio, so your mileage may vary...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQDvnfleST0

I just find it a bit odd that they haven't reviewed FL10 or FL11, and don't even have a section on it - there are plenty of very successful artists who use FL Studio (who are listed on the Image Line site). It's no skin off my nose, I don't buy magazines.
please forgive me but I think you're missing a point here, some of us older folk have been recording in different ways forever and the thought of needing a video to explain how to record audio appears to be more complicated than it needs to be. Than you see another host where it's so straight forward you already know what to do which in turn is more comfortable. I cant speak for bluedad but myself I find when things suit my workflow and are comfortable it means less think and at least for me sometimes less think means more creativity.

Again, not saying anything against FL...it's just better at other stuff :)
Would like to hear more about this host where you're born knowing its workflow.
another one putting words in my mouth or you guys just cannot read :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I learned what's best for from my experience :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

tony tony chopper wrote:
A runner who's paid to endorse shoes, that's marketing. The shoes he's really using, that's not marketing, that has value. We never paid anyone for endorsement
Its still marketing, or why would you bother putting them on your site.... "looks kids, trendy musician uses fruity loops....buy it and you can be just like him"

Loads of software companies do it.

tony tony chopper wrote:
Hink wrote: I really do not care about any power user, they do not matter to me, it's marketing, that's all.
A runner who's paid to endorse shoes, that's marketing. The shoes he's really using, that's not marketing, that has value. We never paid anyone for endorsement.
I never said you did pay them, like Krim says...it's still marketing. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”