KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC05 October 2014 - Winners announced.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mp3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1cnad ... sp=sharing

wav
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1cnad ... sp=sharing

Round 2 edits

Bass: Low Shelf eq @ 69.3Hz Q1.0 -2.4dB
12String: volume +1dB
SoloGuit: volume +2.22 dB

whoops I think I misread the deadline.... I thought it was 20 hours from now :dog:

Actually, you're right - it is. Teaches me for working late at night and being confused with dates and such.

Get your track in camsr, then we can close this out over the course of the weekend.

Just a quick reminder for everyone:
Having 21 days to mix for Round 1, or 5 days for round 2, doesn't mean that you have to wait until the very end as "the client" is waiting for your entry.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

MP3: http://www.datafilehost.com/d/b9f59489
WAV: http://www.datafilehost.com/d/b9d6d848
Uncheck the box before download again...

Can't really describe the changes so much, because I was in a hustle :lol:
But what I remember is adding a delay and stereo-izing for the guitar and synth solo, changing that kick drum EQ which totally threw off everything, removed softclipper because it wasn't needed, gained up and EQed the 12 string, gained up and parallel compressed the guitar, and gained down the synth brass, because it wasn't meshing well after the changes, and a bit of EQ on the cymbals. Sounds much different to me, more smooth but less edgy, better in some ways but not in others.

Looks like we got all files in (5 mixes for round 2, one withdrawn).

The usual will happen now:
File collection, statistics, loudness normalization and upload to a global soundfolder for everyone to follow the progression.

The song provider/client (Photonic) will take a listen over the course of the weekend and declare the winners podium within the next days. So please watch this spot.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Hi all,

As you may know, jhkennedy5 quit the second round. So, now I have listened to the last five mixes.
I have to say thank you to those 5 participants. They all changed their mix according my comments. So for me as a customer, all five mixes had a clear improvement. Only my hint to listen about the muted track called "Sequenz", was not followed by everyone.
But this also means that the mixes came more close to eachother and it is now harder to make a ranking. I put them side by side in my DAW and switched the tracks during listening till I knew the order of which I like most.

So the winners are:

Thank you again for participation and have fun with your prizes! :tu: :clap: :party:
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Congrats Doc Jon, Cruisy 185 and 3ee. Well done. :clap:

Now that you have got your gold, silver and bronze medals, no more prizes for you :lol:

Thank you Photonic for all your contribution for MC05. Medals look great :wink:
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Wow! That is indeed a surprise :hyper:

Thanks Photonic for such a great track to work with :tu:
The medal looks great 8)
Even though it is enough of a prize on its own I think I would like the Tone2 bundle please :)

Jon

Congrats to the winners.
Still not sure what version I like the best, but the tune itself I enjoy.

Wow cool, thanks you so much and congrats to the others! :clap:
Feeling more content about my mixing now! :)

Song was a good one too!
Now since I'm waiting for a pair of reference headphones to arrive, that's my treat, so I'm skipping my pick so the next in line will have a go at the prizes! :)

Photonic, can you give the top 5 please?

photonic wrote:Thank you again for participation and have fun with your prizes! :tu: :clap: :party:
Awesome! I'm glad you liked my mix! Congratulations to the others too!

Does this mean I get to choose one of the prizes (except Tone2 bundle as it's already been picked)? If so, I'll choose Metric Halo Character :)

3ee wrote:... Photonic, can you give the top 5 please?
Not quite sure if I understood your request right. Do you want to know the ranking of all five finalists?
If yes, here they are:
1.DocJon
2.cruisy18
3.3ee
4.ShroomFeverish
5.Camsr
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Well congrats again ShroomFeverish :lol:

As usual, the "monthly statistics".
Though at this point, we don't know if we will continue that, as it means more work for us.

A couple of things are in motion regarding "Loundess Normalization" that you can do yourself. I'll keep you informed in the Gossip Thread.

GENERAL INFORMATION
We had 18 tracks out of 18 entries. Compared to Mix Challenge 04, we have 10 entries less.
Thank you so much for your participation and spreading the word.

We also had the new "client voting" (or "evaluation" system) in full effect.
For the first time ever, also a Mix Round 2. For this we initially had 6 participants, though 1 withdrawal.

ENTRANTS / LOUDNESS NORMALIZATION:
We're still working on a SoundCloud folder as "backlog". Please be patient.

Here is the download pack for A/Bing in your host. (only available until the next challenge's voting process)
KVR Mix Challenge 05 entrants WAV (ca. 1,47GB, ZIP, LZMA compression)

For the first time ever, we opted for -16LUFS SLk (2 LU "louder"). This is due to the fact, that the average signal strength to max signal strength "dynamic" of the entries were well enough (probably due to proper use of gain staging and reference levels) to pull this off.

STATISTICS SHEET:
The statistics sheet PDF can be found here:
KVR MC05 statistics (PDF, 14,3kb)

If there is a dead link, please let us know.

Feedback on the new "client evaluation" system is welcome in the Gossip Thread.
If you have a track for us, that you like to see mixed by our very talented participants, please get in touch with us.

photonic wrote:
3ee wrote:... Photonic, can you give the top 5 please?
Not quite sure if I understood your request right. Do you want to know the ranking of all five finalists?
Yes, thanks! This is the way to go so no one would be upset about not receiving a prize if someone decides to skip his pick. :)

So, if ShroomFeverish doesn't really want/need something in that list he can pass it to Camsr... :tu:

Return to “Production Techniques”