What are your current favourite sound design plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spectrumworx, Crusher-X, Reaktor, Zebrify and a few others usually get me what I want pretty fast. I have been thinking about picking up Artificial Audio Obelisk and Quartz as well because they work so nicely as Bus effects. One thing i've been finding is that spectral effects work very very nicely after multi-band distortion effects.

So what are yours?
:borg:

What kind of sound design are we talking? I trend to have different faves depending on if it's for music or cinematic / ambient / atmospheric stuff.
Eternitysound VST Banks

Soundtoys + Valhalla DSP
In Dec all Soundtoys plugs get put into a rack so it's like one big plugin if you want it that way.

Reaktor, and all its toys...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

GeorgeZ wrote:What kind of sound design are we talking? I trend to have different faves depending on if it's for music or cinematic / ambient / atmospheric stuff.
Well I was thinking more along the lines of Ambient production, but really it's whatever tool you find useful :)

Hmm...There's a few I use.

Pad shop pro - Can give you some really odd sounds.
I'm using Ircam Lab's TS - for pitch shifting, although it's outside of the host.
Eventide's - Black hole for long eerie drones and weird reverb effects.
Valhalla ubermod - great for lots of stuff.
Izotope Iris - Is just bizarre, but lots of fun. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:Hmm...There's a few I use.

I'm using Ircam Lab's TS - for pitch shifting, although it's outside of the host.

I occasionally listen to the demos of Padshop Pro and it definitely sounds like they have implemented a very smooth granular synthesis engine in it.

Do you need a dongle to run Padshop Pro and Retrologue? Or is it the software e-licencer thing?

I'm using Reaktor, Soundhack, smartelectronix, Salty Grain, Altiverb, Speakerphone, Spectrumworx, MMultibandGranular, Michael Norris Spectral, Madrona Labs Kaivo, Pianoteq 5, Soundtoys.

VORT3X, How do you find CrusherX? I'm considering buying the mac version, but it's very expensive with VAT.
Was using Eventide Blackhole as well, but my demo ran out so need to get that, and I'm considering getting GRM Tools, but that is a serious investment (do they ever have sales?) :/

asksol wrote:I'm using Reaktor, Soundhack, smartelectronix, Salty Grain, Altiverb, Speakerphone, Spectrumworx, MMultibandGranular, Michael Norris Spectral, Madrona Labs Kaivo, Pianoteq 5, Soundtoys.

VORT3X, How do you find CrusherX? I'm considering buying the mac version, but it's very expensive with VAT.
Was using Eventide Blackhole as well, but my demo ran out so need to get that, and I'm considering getting GRM Tools, but that is a serious investment (do they ever have sales?) :/

To buy a licence you go here.
http://www.accsone.com/content/blogcate ... g,english/
I was lucky because I found a older version in the market place and I jumped on it. I have version 3 which i run with 32lives and it works fine.

It is pretty pricey but it's worth it if you like granular synthesis. I don't think there is a granular processor on the market quite like Crusher-X so it's worth picking up.

I want to eventually buy the upgrade to version 5 but it will cost me about $100.

V0RT3X wrote:
Robmobius wrote:Hmm...There's a few I use.

I occasionally listen to the demos of Padshop Pro and it definitely sounds like they have implemented a very smooth granular synthesis engine in it.

Do you need a dongle to run Padshop Pro and Retrologue? Or is it the software e-licencer thing?
It's an e-licenser thingey.

I really like it. It sounds very good overall and is easy too use too. I also like the inbuilt fx and modulation system. Nice distortion options as well.

I don't think has all the features that granite would have, but then again, I prefer Pad Shop Pro's sound and accessibility. I've had a few very happy accidents with it which is always nice. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I find AudioMulch's Metasurface is utterly fantastic for exploring and capturing the sound design possibilities of plugins.
It allows me to take any two presets and explore the minute interpolated territory between them, and it allows me to create and record considered, and highly complex transitions between parameter settings in a tiny fraction of the time it would take me using typical/standard methods for creating/drawing the parameter automation necessary to achieve the same result.
The Metasurface is a brilliant tool/instrument that has opened up a world of sound design possibilities for me.

That said; I often use it with another tool/plugin/host/instrument/thingamajig I find thoroughly inspiring - Plogue's Bidule. The Metasurface and Bidule are an excellent combination as anything I create in Bidule can be easily manipulated using the Metasurface. So any crazy, giant, detailed sequencing arrangement (for example) made in Bidule can be wildly or subtly adjusted using the Metasurface; allowing for a degree/breadth of immediate control that I haven't found any other tool/controller offers me.

So these two tools (AudioMulch's Metasurface and Plogue's Bidule) are a huge part of my sound design activities.
However, I would be remiss if I didn't also mention a number of other highly valuable (to me) plugins that I often use in conjunction with the above mentioned tools. Cableguys' MidiShaper, VolumeShaper, and FilterShaper are almost always involved. Largely because all their envelope points can be controlled (and thusly morphed) by the Metasurface, which can make for some wildly deep and complex modulations. The same can actually also be said for Cableguy's Curve2 synth parameters and envelopes; so it's a fav synth of mine.

Bazille
Zebrify
Ableton Live

pdxindy wrote:Bazille
Zebrify
Ableton Live
geez; way to make me look long-winded! :wink:

dformd wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Bazille
Zebrify
Ableton Live
geez; way to make me look long-winded! :wink:
I appreciated your explanation, i thought it was a pretty neat workflow.

I checked out audiomulch, and it definitely looks inspiring to use but I don't know if I would use it. I also forgot to mention that I like Maxforlive!

I probably could easily just use Ableton live, Maxforlive and reaktor for all my needs but its nice to have options.

If you are on OSX, you should get the Michael Norris spectral plugins.

http://www.michaelnorris.info/software/ ... c-spectral

Return to “Effects”