Is there any synth that can do roland's Saw PWM?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

you lined up all those waveform screenshots? you're hired!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Thanks boss... when can I start lining waveforms in your firm? :hihi:

bstageboss wrote: There are indeed only two waveforms in the WG, but they're not square and sawtooth, but square and sine. The tricky thing is that the sine wave is 'hidden' and never heard directly. The sawtooth wave you hear is actually a sine wave ring modulated by the square wave. The result is that half of the sine wave gets flipped upside down.
You might expect that to result in a waveshape that resembles one of the TX81Z operator waveforms (or the impression Pamela Anderson leaves in the sand after falling face down), but Roland has another trick: The sine wave is offset by a phase of 90 degrees, so that the flip occurs at the maximum and minimum amplitude. Now the result looks a lot like a sawtooth wave with a bit of curvature to it.
Wow, very interesting. I hadn't heard of this but that's exactly how I make the sawtooth wave in Aalto. The square wave is generated from a sine core using a waveshaper, and the saw is made from the combination of square and sine. I like the resulting sound, which is like a straight saw but with more 2nd harmonic.

FM applied to the sine core in this setup gives a very nice PWM square sound from the square waveshaper. The saw shaper, on the other hand, gives something odd. Here's a picture, with the saw shaper output on top and the sine FM on the bottom.

Randy Jones
Madrona Labs

I tried to reproduce the pulse and sine ringmod method (without the filter) in ACE.
Here is the result :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NauBLTOejtg
Cheers
Dennis

SQ8L ? I run it on OSX in VFX , but don't have a windows vsti scope to confirm .

Cool.

loungedumore wrote:SQ8L ? I run it on OSX in VFX , but don't have a windows vsti scope to confirm .
No, that wasn't a feature of the ESQ-1.

Poly-Ana can apply PWM to any waveform shape, including saw. http://www.admiralquality.com/products/Poly-Ana/

OMG thread rebirth.

Anyone reading this thread in the future should probably want to take a look here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6#p5875016

At least then we have a reference of what the waveforms actually look like.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:OMG thread rebirth.

Anyone reading this thread in the future should probably want to take a look here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6#p5875016

At least then we have a reference of what the waveforms actually look like.

Ah! Not PWM at all!

Anyway, Poly-Ana can do that TOO! (Though you need to AM two oscillators together to do it. Still, you'll have one left to spare!)

No, it's PWM. See the thread where it is described in quite a bit of detail. I even went into totally unnecessary speculations and descriptions of possible internals because of the argument that appeared.

The short version is, the saw is "chopped" (negative pulse means zero the saw) by +1 octave and/or +3 octave pulses.

The PWM thing enters into it because the +1 octave pulse has width adjustment and can be controlled by LFO.

The PWM only applies to where the dotted lines are shown on the "WAVEFORM" table.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:No, it's PWM. See the thread where it is described in quite a bit of detail. I even went into totally unnecessary speculations and descriptions of possible internals because of the argument that appeared.

The short version is, the saw is "chopped" (negative pulse means zero the saw) by +1 octave and/or +3 octave pulses.

The PWM thing enters into it because the +1 octave pulse has width adjustment and can be controlled by LFO.

The PWM only applies to where the dotted lines are shown on the "WAVEFORM" table.
Yeah, yeah, I get it. Like I said, you could patch that easily enough on Poly-Ana (and no doubt a bunch of other softsynths).

Poly-Ana's PWM of arbitrary waveforms works by "smooshing" the waveform one way or the other. Saw waves become curved. Easy enough to see if you put it up on a scope.

Isn't Redominator the best bet here?
http://www.audiorealism.se/redominator/index.htm

Charlatan can modulate from SAW to TRIANGLE, but only on OSC 1.

alvfaria wrote:Charlatan can modulate from SAW to TRIANGLE, but only on OSC 1.
That's another one Poly-Ana does, on all three oscillators. We call it WFM (waveform modulation). It can smoothly go from Sine to Triangle to Saw to Square back to Sine. And then you can still add PWM to that! (As well as FM, AM, PM -- phase modulation, and DM - filter destination modulation! The only caveat is that you have to choose between WFM or DM, and PM or PWM.)

necrobump just because this thread is awesome.

Return to “Instruments”