Why doesn't Sound on Sound mag. have an FL Studio section?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

V0RT3X wrote:I think FLStudio is aimed more at the EDM crowd these days and i think SOS don't really cater to that crowd.
And a TB303 was aimed at bands looking for a bass player replacement. Who cares about marketing? (Maybe SOS does. Losers!)

FL is great for ITB music making / production, but not (as said before) for Midi controlling (older) hardware.

That "Fruity Loops" moniker is pretty hard to shake.

Even years after it being called "FL Studio", be honest, you still think "Fruity Loops"... and the Fruit is still there. :) It's a great app imo but i could see someone unfamiliar with it saying...

"Why is there a piece of fruit there, is it for caribbean music?" :hihi:

They probably should have named it "Macho Loops"... or Imageline Studio.

Is anyone using FL Studio to record albums by real, live musicians?

I'd guess that answer is close to zero, which is why it's not included in a magazine that primarily deals with studio technology and recording techniques.
... space is the place ...

Plenty of people use and use it well. Other than they don't run :hihi: I really like some of the selections they have as examples.

LawrenceF wrote:and the Fruit is still there. :)
Mmmmmmm. Fruit. :hihi:

You're right, they should have called it "Macho Loops". Maybe "Macho Filthy Pecker Motorcycle Guy Loops"? That'll toughen it up a little. :lol:

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Because you keep TOUCHING yourself, that's why.

FL's demo songs are usually of pretty good quality, that's a plus.

Some other products I've demoed have some really average or below average quality audio recordings in their demos ... vocals or other live tracks... once you take off the 1000 plugins.

SODDI wrote:Because you keep TOUCHING yourself, that's why.
The FLappening? :hihi:
... space is the place ...

LawrenceF wrote:FL's demo songs are usually of pretty good quality, that's a plus.

Some other products I've demoed have some really average or below average quality audio recordings in their demos ... vocals or other live tracks... once you take off the 1000 plugins.
I have had FL for at least ten years now and I even bought a second license for my son, I rarely use it now but it's installed on both my studio machine and my laptop. As someone who got into the world of DAWs through FL (I was in my 40's then) it had it's advantages and disadvantages. I was always a live player, tape type person but had already made the switch about 5 years before to an Akai DPS12 digital recorder.

FL was great for that first getting every free vsti under the sun phase, for midi it was fantastic. At the same time I got into Cool Edit 2K which I used to mix down to from my Akai . When Adobe bought out Cool Edit I got a great deal on upgrading to the full version of Cool Edit but of course it was called Auction.

It's not that FL is bad at handling the recording of live audio, it's more that it was counter-intuitive to what I had always been use to and Audition was much more straight forward for me. So I stuck with that combo through Auction 2.0, I would do my midi parts in FL, render all the tracks to audio and then import them into Audition to add guitar and vox. In 2007 I got a great deal on a Samplitude crossgrade and did both so well and was a perfect fit for me.

I did learn a lot using FL and I am thankful I had it to break into a new age of recording for me :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I really enjoy FL Studio as a creative tool, and I was actually never bothered by the previous "Fruity Loops" name. It's far less generic a name than most other DAWs have, and it's certainly memorable. I prefer Reaper (a name that reminds me of video games and horror movies, not of audio work) for recording, plus lately Tracktion, whose approach to comping really clicks with me, and I currently make more noise in Renoise than in other programs, but FL Studio is fantastic for a more visual, playful approach. I like how accessible it is.

The upcoming FL Studio 12 looks very delicious to me, and I can see myself using it quite a bit more. Their "lifetime upgrades" policy is also impressive.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Is anyone using FL Studio to record albums by real, live musicians?

I'd guess that answer is close to zero, which is why it's not included in a magazine that primarily deals with studio technology and recording techniques.
I don't know - I don't know any people in 'bands' personally, and I don't make up statistics. But I see no problem concerning Multi-Track recording in FL Studio - it's certainly better suited for it than this one: http://www.soundonsound.com/articles/Pr ... Reason.php

T-CM11 wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:Is anyone using FL Studio to record albums by real, live musicians?

I don't know - I don't know any people in 'bands' personally, and I don't make up statistics. But I see no problem concerning Multi-Track recording in FL Studio - it's certainly better suited for it than this one: http://www.soundonsound.com/articles/Pr ... Reason.php
I just downloaded the Reason demo, and right off the bat was able to get a beat going and record an audio track. I've not used Reason since 2.5 days.
Whereas, I've had FL for twelve yrs and only mess with it on occasion, I have no clue how to record audio.

with Edison (as audio logger) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3NQGkaKseo
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

bluedad wrote: I just downloaded the Reason demo, and right off the bat was able to get a beat going and record an audio track. I've not used Reason since 2.5 days.
Whereas, I've had FL for twelve yrs and only mess with it on occasion, I have no clue how to record audio.
Probably because FL has no fixed audio tracks. Selecting inputs & arming is done in the mixer.

T-CM11 wrote:I don't know - I don't know any people in 'bands' personally... But I see no problem concerning Multi-Track recording in FL Studio
It's just a kind of square peg in a round hole, some of them. If a product is not setup to be efficient at monitoring, building cue mixes, punching, and all that other stuff it will be a relative hassle for traditional linear studio multi-track recording.

You can get it done in any of them but few people doing that regularly would choose to do that with FL or Live or Bitwig.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”