KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC05 October 2014 - Winners announced.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I cut my posting out here and posted it into the "KVR Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion" thread instead. I think that it should better live over there:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1#p5915601
Last edited by Fritze on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Round2:

mp3: https://app.box.com/s/rd98jbjxe65d5hj9xx0m
wave: https://app.box.com/s/448jh4cw5tw8r5hrxvfy

I made the requested changes (including fading out the synth sequence in some places).
Payed closer attention to the original mix and changed some more stuff that I liked, more notable are:

-Brass tone changed a bit (synth brass tighter image, lower in volume... horns about 1-2 db stronger to compensate tone, EQ here and there to make them fit better)
-Snare more compressed, lowered in volume and got easier on the slapback echo to reduce "flam" introduced, compensated the plate reverb to match the compressed result for that classic (but kept it tasteful) 80s sound.
-Lead guitars: compensated in volume, backed off the chorus send for a more elegant/down to earth result + EQed out 2-3 db of the high-mids area to keep it from getting crowdy-harshy.. :hihi: (unrelated...wow just had a dejavu moment! those feel so REAL and interesting )
-Cymbals a bit softer to mach the volume of your mix (was actually pretty loud in mine, this is a reminder to all of the importance of checking to the original mix again, especially if it's well done! )
-Clav lower to match your mix as well as narrower image.

+ small changes here and there and that's about it I think...

Cheers"
3ee

Hi, just wanted to say thank you for the feedback - really appreciated.
Good luck to the few selected and see you all in MC06! :-)

The Clavi was my favorite part so naturally I gained it up. When you say melody you mean the chorus phrase or any particular instrument?

Thanks Photonic, will get working on the second round mix and submit soon
Jon

camsr wrote:The Clavi was my favorite part so naturally I gained it up. When you say melody you mean the chorus phrase or any particular instrument?
I used an unclear name for the melody in my feedback-post, sorry. The instrument is called soloGuit.wav in the zip-file.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Thanks, Photonic, for the feedback and selecting my mix as one of the finalists. I was actually aware of the loudness rules, but mis-read the statistics sheet from last month's mix (and was probably a little confused about the limits and what they meant). After digging into this further and thinking over night, I have decided to not do a re-submission. While this is disappointing, I feel it is the right thing to do. The rules are there for a reason; I respect them and don't want to leave any other impression. I will chalk this up to learning and go again next month. Thanks!

jhkennedy5 wrote:Thanks, Photonic, for the feedback and selecting my mix as one of the finalists. I was actually aware of the loudness rules, but mis-read the statistics sheet from last month's mix (and was probably a little confused about the limits and what they meant). After digging into this further and thinking over night, I have decided to not do a re-submission. While this is disappointing, I feel it is the right thing to do. The rules are there for a reason; I respect them and don't want to leave any other impression. I will chalk this up to learning and go again next month. Thanks!
That is a surprise! My greatest respect that you made this step.
Although your mix clear to loud, I think no one was realy disqualified therefore till now. And so I thought you get a second chance.

So Compyfox: what are we doing now? Nominate another one, or continoue with just 5 mixes?
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Two options come to mind:

a) jhkennedyS simply eases up on the master bus (meaning: no compression, no limiting), drives back the loudness by a couple of dB. A quick check resulted in RMS values of -6,5dB RMS max. So pulling it down to like -12dB RMS max to -14dB RMS max might be possible and more suitable. He didn't resubmit his track after all. So he can still do the changes you'd like to see, only that the summed output isn't as hot.

Alternatively, he can only do slight changes, keep the master bus settings (if there were any) and still resubmit. I can offer to run all tracks (again) through Loudness Normalization (like usual) and that "too loud" issue is gone for objective judgement. Something I did not do with Mix Round 1 (this is up for debate actually - and I think we now involve the participants and song providers).

jh seems to have learned from this for future MCs. So this would be the another chance to still be in the game.

b) we respect jhkennedy5's decision and stick to the 5 remaining participants you have chosen. The winners podium can only be three people, and the remaining amount is still enough for an interesting/exciting competition.

It's Jim's choice.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

If you had a target number of finalists in mind, my preference would be to identify a new sixth finalist. This is up to you, of course. In any case, I don't feel it is right for me to re-submit. I am kicking myself and apologize. I really enjoy these contests and the opportunity they present to learn and improve. This particular contest seems to offer more variety of genres which is fun. Thanks!

Congratulations to the other finalists and good luck!!

Second round submission completed:
Reduced volume of the percussion at the start
Volume reduction and shortening of the tom sound with Cubase Envelope Shaper
Job done!

WAV
https://soundcloud.com/docjon/photonic- ... -3/s-EmVQs

MP3
https://soundcloud.com/docjon/photonic- ... -2/s-4eO14

photonic wrote:So, as I mentioned it earlier in a previous posting, we will do a second round of my 6 favorit mixes. And those are:
3ee, Camsr, cruisy18, DocJon, Jim Kennedy and ShroomFeverish !

Awesome, dude! I'll do the edits tonight. 8)

EDIT: Alright, here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/kruizy/photonic- ... 18/s-M17ji

cruisy18 wrote:EDIT: Alright, here it is:
Also, do I have to upload a .mp3 for Round 2? I'm on limited bandwidth and uploading a large .wav file is taxing enough. If possible, I'd like to refrain from uploading the .mp3, if that's ok, seeing as we're in Round 2? Every little bit counts.

You're on SoundCloud, so a preview (stream) is guaranteed. No worries.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

A quick reminder of the participants for Round 2:
photonic wrote: And those are:
3ee, Camsr, cruisy18, DocJon, Jim Kennedy and ShroomFeverish !
So far the following people submitted their updates:
- 3ee
- cruisy18
- DocJon

Missing:
- Camsr
- ShroomFeverish

Withdrawn:
- Jim Kennedy

The submission period for Round 2 (officially) ends in 6 hours from now.
Latest once I get back out of bed again and post "second round is over". So please get your round 2 submissions in.

Thanks.

Return to “Production Techniques”