Wise to Jump ship from S1/Cubase to Bitwig

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:Oh...........bugger..........

(repeats to himself over and over) It's not the tools........it's not the tools........it's not the tools............ :bang:
It isn't and it is. Really bad tools can deform what you're working on and how you work.

It's also the coffee.

SODDI wrote:It isn't and it is. Really bad tools can deform what you're working on and how you work.
It's maybe more (imo) that there are no bad tools these days, more maybe bad choices of tools and/or the idea that any one tool should do everything well. I mean, even Garageband is a great tool in context but if you try to make it the center of a large multitrack studio it's still not a bad tool, just the wrong tool. :)

But you know the current reality, if a thing doesn't do what I need (it is all about me after all :lol: ) it's a bad tool. :hihi:

A screwdriver is not a bad tool... unless you try to pound a nail with it. :hihi:

Yes... I'd move immediately. The maintenance update fir S1 is causing a lot of problems. Thanks Presonus!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

So, what are the bitwig demo limitations? Edit, no save/export. That's fine

hibidy wrote:So, what are the bitwig demo limitations? Edit, no save/export. That's fine
Except you find your self making some really good tracks easily and now have to buy the thing to remember what you made :D

R U Having fun yet hibidy? ;)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Although the demo does allow you to bounce to audio which was surprising.

u can also save your clips which contain the devices too beside the MIDI/sample data
Last edited by xbitz on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

dsan@mail.com wrote:
hibidy wrote:So, what are the bitwig demo limitations? Edit, no save/export. That's fine
Except you find your self making some really good tracks easily and now have to buy the thing to remember what you made :D

R U Having fun yet hibidy? ;)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Unfortunately, I am. I have CRAZY thoughts going through me head :hihi:

Things that appeal to me:

-The cpu meter not freaking out :hihi:
-Midi being quantized multi clips, and the global groove (I'm a wuss when I comes to making grooves myself :roll: ) Not sure what to think about audio quantize yet.....you have to do workarounds so still not the "all in one" that studio one does but it's better than live. (the groove pool is cool, but it's tiresome to work with at times)
-Even though with my SSD S1 loads pretty quick, I STILL have issues with certain plugs (especially if there are a lot). I have no way to check since I can't save a project, but bitwig seems to load much faster.
-I mostly like the browser, it's slightly foreign to me though (not surprisingly)
-One huge draw back of live is working with audio at the clip level. I'm not sure yet, but bitwig seems to do this better.

Some things I'm a little concerned about:

-though push seems to work nicely for the most part, I seem to have lost a lot of my impulse functionality because the script is for the 25 vs the 49/61. Doesn't seem to be an automap (for host) detection like there is for live and studio one. However, all this API talk (that I currently do not understand) may hold the secret there.
-Recording audio can be tedious (but doable )
-DO NOT like the key commands. There are too many things missing (like, "loop" lolz)
-As mentioned in the other thread, seems to me that count in for clip recording is a remedial oversight. Sure, it can be worked around, but I'd think this should be a high priority.

I'm reading and re-reading all the 1.1 updates and trying to fit that into things. I still don't know how the multi out/multi timbrel way works (hopefully I can find some docs/viddys on it) which is very important.

Since I was on the lookout for a compact midi controller, the arturia deal has got me thinking about the possibility of getting bitwig.

Just wondering, how is CPU efficiency on Mac. Using a mid-2012 mbp 2.3 ghz core i7 here.

gear god said: "hey hibidy, look at the new shinny toy that does a bunch of things your host doesn't"

hibidy: "but it doesn't do some things mine already do"

gear god said: "do you care?"

:cry:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”