PLUGINS adding DEPTH/MOJO/ANALOG VIBE/ 3D-ness ? Best ones?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DC8C NightShine Satson The Glue ThrillMe

George wrote:I can recommend our compressors: ThrillMe and NightShine.
Right on time.
[Insert Signature Here]

Any updates?

You'll get more 3d-ness thru simple lo-pass filtering than you will with saturation plugins :tu:

Acustica Audio Aqua plugins are great for this. Especially the latest Magenta EQ. It's ridiculous how much "mojo" it has. Highly recommended.

Another really good candidate is Klanghelm SDRR package. This one is very much worth reading the manual of and truly learning it's sound and capabilities. Very versatile and can go from extremely subtle to completely destroyed. It's the one I use the most for giving mojo to everything (and I own Slate VCC, all Sonimus plugins etc).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Sausage fattener? :hihi:
:borg:

Satson is one of my favs.
You are currently reading my signature.

bailees7irish wrote:
George wrote:I can recommend our compressors: ThrillMe and NightShine.
Right on time.
:hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

bmanic wrote:Acustica Audio Aqua plugins are great for this. Especially the latest Magenta EQ. It's ridiculous how much "mojo" it has. Highly recommended.

Another really good candidate is Klanghelm SDRR package. This one is very much worth reading the manual of and truly learning it's sound and capabilities. Very versatile and can go from extremely subtle to completely destroyed. It's the one I use the most for giving mojo to everything (and I own Slate VCC, all Sonimus plugins etc).
How did u tried the Magenta btw?Are you a beta tester or ?I must agree with u for the SDRR but its a cpu hog a bit ! Do u still use the VCC? Slate continue to spam for the ver.2.0 update..

itneveris wrote:You'll get more 3d-ness thru simple lo-pass filtering than you will with saturation plugins :tu:
Forgive my question, for now I am ignorant on the subject of coding (software/plugins). It's something I'm probably going to learn.

But is this really all saturation simulations are? Some kind of advanced series of low pass filters? Or other filters?

I've been experimenting with FabFilter's Saturn demo. I love what it's doing to some things (basses, guitars, drums, haven't tried it on vocals yet). It's that state of, "Is this thing really doing what I think I hear it is or am I just :borg: ?"

Definitely not, I think you misunderstood my post. Saturation and filters have inherently nothing to do with each other

Fabfilter saturn is pretty good at adding nice saturation even though it's not circuit modeled or anything. Ohmforce Ohmicide might be older but it still can make stuff jump through the speakers (In a good way) on the right settings.

One thing about adding too much Mojo is that it can mess up your sound. Think of saturation like spice in food, you don't want too much and you don't want too little ;)

I often add to much and it muddies the sound up.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:borg:

I can't say anything really gives me all that in one go, that comes from so many elements in the mix.

But the stuff that has impressed me the most with adding something special to a mix, or elements:

NI Vari-comp, Fabfilter MB (just amazing how much it can do for a mix), Brainworks Saturator 1/2, Elysia Alpha, Brainworx Vertigo, Relab LX480, RND Portico EQ, SSL X-sat.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

itneveris wrote:You'll get more 3d-ness thru simple lo-pass filtering than you will with saturation plugins :tu:
this makes some sense.

Here's my general setup, I must stress that every stage adds very, very small amounts of mojo and are set to very low amounts of drive or alike, but has huge impact on the overall mix... and makes mixing much easier to be honest

Channels:
Slate VCC (SSL setting) - Signal starts with a nice desk emulation, very subtle but huge impact when every channel has this on.
Alloy 2 - Multiband exciter used to add emphasis and distortion to the most important parts of the sound and each band also has stereo widening, so can make each sound as wide or narrow as you want. This, along with the EQ is the main 'shaping' element for any given sound, and the most important stage other than ensuring you're working with good source material in the first place.

Bus:
Slate VCC (Trident setting) - Trident seems to add a nice sheen and wideness to the bus
N.I. Supercharger - This thing is absolutely lovely, adjust the saturation and character knobs to suit which bus it's on. Drums will love you with this on the bus. I use very low amounts of drive.
Ableton Glue Compressor - 2:1 ratio (the compression automaticall kicks in a bit earlier on this setting, so a soft knee I suppose), compressing circa 1db or so

Master:
Slate VCC (Trident setting) - As above
PSP Vintage Warmer 2 - only 1db of drive
Fab Filter Saturn - just 10% clean tape drive, anything below 100hz gets 0%
EDIT: I also sometimes use Saturn on individual channels, the tone shaper sliders are really nice ways to sculpt a sound a bit more

I find that adding little bits at multiple stages gives a good sound. Since using this as a default part of my Ableton template, mixing has become much, much easier.

On a side note, I like to slap an EQ on the master and AB my project against reference material as I go - filtering to only hear specific frequency regions rather than the whole mix - really great way to AB against other tracks I find.
Last edited by stevemac on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Another one without killing ur cpu that much its the DDMF The Strip plugin its sounds superb very close to the Herritage AUdio Clone really smooth !

Return to “Effects”