If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

Yes, as long as it was reasonably priced.
45%
Maybe, I would consider purchasing it.
18%
No, I don't have any interest in such a product.
27%
Fish
11%

Total votes: 366

RELATED
PRODUCTS

BBFG# wrote:
dmbaer wrote:I'd love to see a correlation between age and yes responses. I'd be willing to bet that most people answering yes are at least 50 years old.
I think the over 50 set mostly voted Fish.
That wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not 50 but I would buy it because I saw it in several gigs and concerts when I was younger.
Even if I'm not going to use it, I guess it would be nice to see how that beauty worked :)
Anechoic Chamber Screaming :o

aciddose wrote:Not really.
The idea the samples are only for attacks is totally ridiculous and makes me ask "has this person ever actually used a d-50 before?"
The d-50 contains some functionality, but you would find if you used one that there are many quirks involved. You can't use everything at once. The filter has many issues which are a little bit surprising. The waveshapes are "okay" but also have their own issues and major aliasing.
"A type of analog-style ... " (subtractive, you mean?) " ... synthesis for sustains."
This just sounds totally clueless, as if repeated over and over without knowing what it actually means.
The M1 uses the same system, as does every "ROMpler" ever. The samples have a looped part and some include a release. The samples are for the most part compressed and dynamics are applied with an amplitude envelope. Timbre is adjusted with a filter.
This is the definition of "ROMpler".
+1 The D50/D550 were fraught with quirks and noises that often made me wonder what they were thinking with that.
And yes, a 'ROMpler by definition and description is anything that uses samples burnt into ROM.
What I remember was neither Roland or Korg used that term until Emu coined it with their Proteus line later. Then they all suddenly clamored for the title of being the 'original rompler'.

Timman wrote:... I would buy it because I saw it in several gigs and concerts when I was younger.
Even if I'm not going to use it, I guess it would be nice to see how that beauty worked :)
I think there's more truth to this than posits of age correlation.

dmbaer wrote:
beely wrote:I think the amount of sales of this would be over-estimated.
I'd love to see a correlation between age and yes responses. I'd be willing to bet that most people answering yes are at least 50 years old. :hihi:
What are you trying to say? :wink:

I want a D-50 synth plugin, there... I said it. Nearly everything else is emulated anyway, why not that one?
Last edited by Examigan on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I was born 2 years after the D50 was released and I love 80's style things like the Fairlight, Emulator 1 & 2 but .. this thing sounds like a korg M1 prototype or something. If i needed those type of sounds I'd just grab the Korg legacy m1 and maybe the wavestation :shrug:
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:I was born 2 years after the D50 was released and I love 80's style things like the Fairlight, Emulator 1 & 2 but .. this thing sounds like a korg M1 prototype or something. If i needed those type of sounds I'd just grab the Korg legacy m1 and maybe the wavestation :shrug:
But it's not the same, sort of like Monark, Minimonsta, and Diva all can do the Minimoog sounds very well. It's just weird there is nothing so focused on the D-50 , and it was so popular.

This may just be a little bit of remaining unaware despite being entirely aware... Just not making the connection for some reason.

Xhip for example implements an identical configuration!

To get the multi-timbral functionality you merely need to run multiple instances and map an X/Y control to cross-blend between them. This is actually a function that I have already working in the WIP version, implemented as a part of an expanded unison configuration.

That is, multiple unison "stacked" voices can be controlled individually as far as which preset, which transposition and which modulations are applied. In the final version I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to map X/Y controls using midi cc or automation in some way to do the cross-blend internally.

This is really just a matter of actually providing the interface to allow this control in an easily accessible manner; It has been possible in more contrived/complex ways since 2004. (The way the unison works is really just to create additional instances internally. So you may as well be doing that manually with multiple instances! The only difference is the difficulty associated with doing so.)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

BTW, check this out:

https://www.facebook.com/Synthtopia/pos ... ream_ref=5

I've seen a LOT of these things come out over the years. All the way back since I first became interested in VST stuff in 98. There have been many, many of these products that were stripped from the history books.

My best guess is they simply sampled the output of the D-50 to get the content. I mean, officially if you do a track using a D-50 it's a derivative. You can't enforce copyright on it without authorization from Roland. A lot of artists don't seem to realize this. (Well, you can, but you are taking the risk of having them jump out and invalidate your copyright at any point in time by claiming you were unauthorized.)

Ultimately it seems Roland is only interested in you buying their newest hardware. This is why they don't release any of this material.

Although I'm still left wondering what the terms are on their licenses. For example "to be used in hardware device ROMs manufactured by Roland Corporation ..." would severely limit them.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

I wonder why people just don't take the sample list from the manuals and sample their own if they want it so much?

BBFG# wrote:I wonder why people just don't take the sample list from the manuals and sample their own if they want it so much?
And sampling a Moog's oscillators is close to... having a Moog?

Anyway, I wouldn't buy it if it uses C/R.

BBFG# wrote:I wonder why people just don't take the sample list from the manuals and sample their own if they want it so much?
You mean actually do something that requires some work? No way. Lets all sit and bitch about its non availability :-)

If someone does it then thats a five page thread totally over. I mean this thread has been going for almost a week, to do what you said would take a whole day at most. Better off just wating for someone else to do it :-)

Exactly recreating all the samples would be nearly impossible even if you had all the equipment required.

If you were going to do any of that, you may as well just completely forget about it and make some original or "similar" sounds. That is what you'd be doing anyway.

Why does anyone buy samples? What is the point of buying samples of an orchestra when you could just play all those instruments yourself in that famous hall?

I'm sorry but this whole line of thought seems a little bit lemmings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOOs8MaR1YM

:borg:

Return to “Instruments”