LAST CHANCE! Poly-Ana and L'il Poly-Ana 1.20 BETA w. OSX x64 AU support!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'll be trying to bring across my 10.8.4 user accounts with Migration Assistant. I am expecting some plug ins to require a re-install and activation depending on CP.
I'll let you now how PA goes. New Mac has to get here first!

AdmiralQuality wrote: Ah! Thanks for that and yes, a good question. Any surprises for us in Yosemite, brave early-adopters?
Has anyone else on Yosemite had a chance to run Poly-Ana through her paces yet? Very curious to know. (And very afraid to install an OS upgrade we don't need or want! ;) )

Windows user here, but looking forward to the 1.20 final release! :D
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

AdmiralQuality wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote: Ah! Thanks for that and yes, a good question. Any surprises for us in Yosemite, brave early-adopters?
Has anyone else on Yosemite had a chance to run Poly-Ana through her paces yet? Very curious to know. (And very afraid to install an OS upgrade we don't need or want! ;) )
Yes I have, nothing weird going on here.

Excellent! Thanks Echoes!

Anybody else?

Is there an option to change the knobs sensitivity? The knobs feel quite sensitive (a little too much for my taste) when using the mouse to rotate them.

Nielzie wrote:Is there an option to change the knobs sensitivity? The knobs feel quite sensitive (a little too much for my taste) when using the mouse to rotate them.
There are 3 different mouse modes. (Click the product name to bring up the Options Dialog.) The circular modes are nice because you can control resolution by cursor distance to the knob. The linear knob mode has a fine mode when you hold the SHIFT key.

Nice, will have a look. Thank you :)

Nielzie wrote:Nice, will have a look. Thank you :)
This reminds me, I've thought a bit before about adding another option for setting the linear-fine mouse speed, and maybe even the normal linear mouse speed as well. It probably won't make it into this Beta period, but maybe someday.

I've just added it to my TODO list so I won't forget. Would this be valuable to you linear likers?

I never use linear knob mode myself. Can't stand it! But to each his own. That's why I made sure our products are one of the very few that support all 3 VST knob modes. In fact, I'm not aware of any others that support Circular-Relative. Even though it's defined in the VST 2.4 spec, it wasn't implemented by Steinberg's VSTGUI library that many products, including ours, based their interfaces on. I had to add it. (This was one of the things that was tricky and that I didn't want to throw years of testing and bug fixes away on when I was forced to re-write the GUI to be Cocoa compatible for OSX x64. But it turned out I was able to keep most of the old logic for it intact with only relatively minor changes to the code. So most of it is still well tested. And of course this Beta period should be testing it quite heavily as well.)

Setting to linear did the trick :)

An option for setting the linear (fine) mouse speed would of course be a nice addition for later, but the current default speed works for me perfectly as it is for now :tu:

Good!

One other possibility with Linear Knob Mode...

We could easily make it so the vertical mouse motions turns the knob at a different speed than horizontal mouse motion. And we could continue to have the SHIFT key modifier change to two other speeds! (Which would now mean there'd be 4 speeds to set in the Options! Maybe it would even be possible to reverse Coarse and Fine modes, as the speeds would all be completely user selectable.)

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone or would it just be weird and/or overly complex?

AdmiralQuality wrote: Does this sound like a good idea to anyone or would it just be weird and/or overly complex?
Personal opinion, of course.. I think that would be a bit overkill ;).. by the time you've considered whether you want to move the mouse vertically or horizontally, you might just as well use circular mode anyways ;). But Shift+ vertical.. fine ;).
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

Agree that the horizontal/vertical thing might be too much.

If implemented, it would of course default to the exact same behavior you see now. But I tend to agree, it's probably too much, would be a rarely used feature, and my time would be better spent implementing features you can hear.

Anyone else? It's not particularly hard to do, but the Options Dialog is getting a little crowded and I wouldn't want to have to redesign it to accommodate all those new preferences. (Maybe I'll put it in Poly-Ana 2.x., when I'll be doing a complete graphics redesign anyway.)

I'll throw my hat in with Vic and Funkybot and say that it would be something I would rarely, if ever, find a need for. Got no problem with you adding it, especially if it's an 'opt in' option, but I think your 'time would be better spent implementing features you can hear' comment sums it up perfectly.

Return to “Instruments”