Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

BlackWinny wrote: Yes, I work on it.
:D
I must do with my narcolepsy, so of course it is sometimes a bit longer than I would like, but it progresses very well. More than 275000 to sort to keep the really best and useful and without any duplicate... it's quite long to do.
:pray:

But I'm now at about 75% of the total. And I have recently even found yet new sysex files that I didn't know (just a dozen but very nice), and of course they will be included too with all the others.
:tu:
Thank you very much for the big effort ;) I can only imagine how tedious it can get so no problem , take your time ;) Thanks again & looking forward to it ;)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

I also look forward to an organised library of DX sounds. Your effort is highly valued.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
BlackWinny [reply]

See the new GUI:

http://le-son666.com/software/dexed/dexed0.8b1.png (http://le-son666.com/software/dexed/dexed0.8b1.png)

See at the bottom left of the picture, just above the blue button called "Store".

So... once more, as I answered just above to opoo, I invite you to join us at the dev forum of Dexed. It is the right place to discuss the features, not here on the place made in the current page for general comments on a product.

In the dev forums everybody is welcome to suggest new features, comment those which are already existing, report bugs, try beta versions, etc.

The dev forum of Dexed is here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6#p5903996
Hi BlackWinny,
thanks for the right link to that forum.
But... what I meant is something other: There is a Key Mode in the DX-7 II where you have more options than just poly and mono and it's a much more fatter sound. I think it's not that big work, as far as I can say this with my terrible knowledge of programming :roll: because it simulates only the same sound plus X.

Have a look at the picture, please. What do you think about it? Is this feasible?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

clou wrote:Hi BlackWinny,
But... what I meant is something other: There is a Key Mode in the DX-7 II where you have more options than just poly and mono and it's a much more fatter sound. I think it's not that big work, as far as I can say this with my terrible knowledge of programming :roll: because it simulates only the same sound plus X.

Have a look at the picture, please. What do you think about it? Is this feasible?
The DX7 II is like two DX7s, so, probably these features could not be replicated at the current status of the instrument, but I personally hope the author is able to run the extra mile and create a DX7 II (which is Sys-X compatible with the DX7, therefore, nothing would be lost, simply added). Having two elements is great for added density, especially in patches like strings and pads (a field where the DX7 is reckoned as not being very strong).
Fernando (FMR)

A good idea for a DX7II creation, but first I would like to see Dexed completed as a DX7 Mk-1. maybe after that another DX variant ?
:tu: All is good

Hmmm... Let's have first a comprehensive DX7 emulation.

I think that the future must stay the future (for the moment) in order to focus on the present and apply strictly the scope statement of Dexed: a comprehensive DX7 emulation.

As I wrote recently:
We always must resist to the temptation of always more, always more, always more...

More is not always better. The purpose of Dexed is not to add new features on new features. It is to reproduce as well as possible the abilities of the DX7 in order to let the user enjoy the product as if he had a DX7.

Each time new features are added to an emulation it gets away from the accuracy... to enter in something which is not in the original specifications. It can be very good if it is thought at the very beginning IN the specifications as a huge improvement which was missing in the original hardware (include a sequencer in the design at the very first day of the conception, in the draws for example) and if everything else has been thought taking that feature in account all along the design of the full product. But add new features here and there at random which are too far away from the features of the original, and adding them during the development and when that development is already advanced... it is getting away on another path. And very often it drives... to huge unattended issues! Issues which can become a total mess in the maintenance phase of the life of the product... and which can decrease a lot the assessments of the full product by the users and the community.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Just curious: Are the savable presets not working in this version? I made and saved a preset the other day, using the built in preset saving method, and also using Cubase's VST preset saving method. I also saved the project file. In all cases, opening the preset or project again resulted in a much different preset than originally created.

For reference, it was a savagely juicy 2OP bass preset, and I would love to start using it on just about every project I can think of! For now I can just recreate it every time I load it up since it's pretty basic, but yeah, I also wanted to check if this was a feature that was still being worked on.
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

Norrin_Radd wrote:Just curious: Are the savable presets not working in this version? I made and saved a preset the other day, using the built in preset saving method, and also using Cubase's VST preset saving method. I also saved the project file. In all cases, opening the preset or project again resulted in a much different preset than originally created.

For reference, it was a savagely juicy 2OP bass preset, and I would love to start using it on just about every project I can think of! For now I can just recreate it every time I load it up since it's pretty basic, but yeah, I also wanted to check if this was a feature that was still being worked on.
You have to save the patch within a SYX bank of 32 presets (that's what I am doing and it is working). My advice is for you to use one of the pre-existing banks, hit the button save, give it a different name, and then save the edited presets using the option STORE and choose an external bank (or the same bank, if you happen to open it and have it as the current bank, which is what I do). Then, it is just a matter of choose the location where to save inside the bank.
Fernando (FMR)

BlackWinny wrote:Hmmm... Let's have first a comprehensive DX7 emulation.

I think that the future must stay the future (for the moment) in order to focus on the present and apply strictly the scope statement of Dexed: a comprehensive DX7 emulation.
Your suggestions that followed are good, but they would break the compatibility to DX7 :wink: .

A DX7II, OTOH, is basically the same instrument, just doubled. And nothing would be broken in terms of compatibility, while it makes all the difference in sound creation.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Norrin_Radd wrote:Just curious: Are the savable presets not working in this version? I made and saved a preset the other day, using the built in preset saving method, and also using Cubase's VST preset saving method. I also saved the project file. In all cases, opening the preset or project again resulted in a much different preset than originally created.

You have to save the patch within a SYX bank of 32 presets (that's what I am doing and it is working). My advice is for you to use one of the pre-existing banks, hit the button save, give it a different name, and then save the edited presets using the option STORE and choose an external bank (or the same bank, if you happen to open it and have it as the current bank, which is what I do). Then, it is just a matter of choose the location where to save inside the bank.
Will do, thanks for the work around, man :D
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

someone remind me why Dexed needs to be compatible with a DX7?
will dexed eventually be an editor like the Oli Larkin Casio CZ one?

and about the presets thing,
Hexter, if anyone still has their copy, has 4 banks of 32 presets, and loading up presests is no problem.

overhishead wrote:someone remind me why Dexed needs to be compatible with a DX7?
Beacuse it is an emulation of, guess what… a DX7. :roll:

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Hanz Meyzer wrote: I can help out porting to 64bit on apple development tools, if it is using vstgui and vstsdk 2.4 + symbiosis wrapper. Please pm if you have questions. Would love to see this plug in in 64 bit.
Dexed is already 64-bit. It is also ported to AU (cause I am using JUCE; and none of the VST/AU/LOL programming stuff, yay!). What is stopping me to release this is that it crash with AU, probably because I'm doing something wrong. Once I refractor the UI messaging in 0.8.1, if you want to debug this... you are welcome to join in.
clou wrote: Hi BlackWinny,

Yeah, that would be a very cool feature. But I'm on par with what BlackWinny and DrewDale says: let's start with a complete DX7 first... then we will see. The last thing I want is somekind of frankenstein that supports multiple features with multiple switches.

The implementation of this is fairly easy to do. Give me 5 hours and it is done. No UI, and buggy (probably with the mono stuff). But how do you translate this easily and transparently on the current UI can be more difficult than it seem. To me the UI is very important, no 'geek switch that only the programmer and 5 kvr users knows what it does' is uber important.

Anyway, this will probably the first thing I will work on once the 1.0 version is out.
Norrin_Radd wrote: Just curious: Are the savable presets not working in this version? I made and saved a preset the other day, using the built in preset saving method, and also using Cubase's VST preset saving method. I also saved the project file. In all cases, opening the preset or project again resulted in a much different preset than originally created.

That's a work as design. When you save the 'VST Preset', it saves the DX7 32 program bank, regardless on what you are doing on the current program. If you havn't saved (with the STORE button) the current editing program, it won't be part of the 'VST Preset'.

Keep in mind that if you save a song (or whatever it is called in Cubase), the current VST knob state will be saved with with your song. If you want to use it in another song, you have to store it and reuse this program bank, either with the sysex format or with your host with the 'vst' fxp format.
overhishead wrote:someone remind me why Dexed needs to be compatible with a DX7?
Cause it sets goals/targets on the project that are known to work and have been tested since 1983.

While playing with the code I did have other ideas that have popup, but it should be another project.

To make a very bad analogy: it's like playing classical song; the notes are very well written, but it is how you play them that counts (in code).

An update about the clicky problems I've been having.

So, I am NOT getting clicks in: Jeskola Buzz (!), Studio One (demo) and Reaper (used to get clicks in Reaper, somehow disappeared);
I AM getting clicks in: Renoise, FLStudio and Cubase (worst case of clickiness).

____
I'm getting zipper noise on the Cutoff and Resonance, worst/most audible in Renoise and Cubase.

Other than that, I love it! Thanks to Jeskola Buzz, I've finally been able to appreciate the sound quality that comes out of Dexed.

Thanks, asb2m10, there's obviously some work still left to do, but you're making a BIG and precious gift to the audio community! Here's why:
http://tecfoundation.com/hof/06techof.html#14

No click either in my Mulab and my Cantabile. And I've never had any in them (nor in Reaper).
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Instruments”