How to make / what is needed to make Jpop / Denpa / Synthpop / Akiba Pop Japanese style music.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey.

could you listen to the samples I provided and suggest me my best option, or synthesizer, or rompler I should use / study to learn to make these types of sounds, and learn to make this type of music? I.E. like what synth would be closest to all the bubbly poppy sounds heard in the music, and what drum synth would get me what I need? And for the realistic sounds, I guess I should go with an rack from roland or something right? Since I heard alot of japanese producers use those.

I'm trying to keep it simple though, falling into the habbit of buying too much stuff I've done before with everything I get into. I'm trying to find those core synths that I will go to over and over again for the type of music I make.

So far I have bought omnisphere but when I tried it, but all the presets were oriented towards cinematic stuff but it's amazing still I'm glad I got it. But would it be possible to synthesize the sounds I want in omnisphere? I'm asking because it's one of the only synthesizers I managed to actually create some sounds I wanted and I easily was able to tweak existing sounds. I tried some other ones before but they were all too over the top for me to wrap my head around them. For some reason omnisphere small layout made sense to me.

anyway here are some of the sounds and style of music I'm after

I love how the sounds are poppy and upbeat here
https://soundcloud.com/rooyrooy/megurin ... mi-megpoid

Mosaic.wav is one of the bands I really idolize, I love the sounds they use.
https://soundcloud.com/mosaicwav/we-love-akiba-pop
https://soundcloud.com/mosaicwav/05-dreamy-ic-mix
https://soundcloud.com/mosaicwav/09a

same with livetune:
https://soundcloud.com/kallen-kozuki-1/ ... aris-irony

Those I listed above are the sounds I'm going for
but I also love older stuff like twomix and j eurodance 90's jpop with all the old orchestral hits and stuff, but I'm sure I can find stuff like that on a hardware rompler if I want to get it.

TLDR

I want to create those styles of music, please suggest what I need to get the sounds they use, and other suggestions as well would be really appreciated here. Like I notice the vocals have some vocoder effects sometimes, any idea how they get the vocals choppy and stuff in some of them?

Thanks in advance.

Hello!

Just an apology in advance that I'm new to music production so might not be much use to you.

As far as I know, any synth can practically make anything; it's a question of usability. What I would probably do is get a synth that is easy to use and very common, and then search for tutorials for how to make sounds like those. I recommend Sylenth.

Also, some of the sounds are reminiscent of 8bit ones. Here's a free VST I use whenever I want to use 8bit sounds: http://www.ymck.net/en/download/magical8bitplug/

Maybe, if you are prepared to spend money, you could try to find which synths have tailor-made J-Pop preset packs for them and then decide based upon that: however, I wouldn't do this because (as I said earlier) I think any synth can do what any other can, within reason, and for these sounds I think most synths would be okay.
I seem to say this every post I make, so: I'm relatively new to this, so I'm sorry if I'm no help!

I don't have a particularly good ear for sonic detail, but as best I can tell a lot of this sounds like stuff you could do with standard subtractive synthesis plus the stock effects in whatever DAW you're using. Well, that and maybe a vocaloid :P. As Sevenths said, how you use your software is far more important than the specifics of what you're using. If you didn't already own Omnisphere, I'd have recommended checking out Synthmaster (since it's pretty cheap, supports a wide range of synthesis types, and has a great dev) or maybe Sylenth (which is less flexible but sounds very nice, is CPU efficient, and has a huge variety of preset banks available for it) if you had the cash. However, since you've already got Omnisphere, I'd suggest just sticking with that - I've never used it, but it's my understanding that it's very powerful and can probably produce the type of sounds you want if you know what you're doing.

Actually, an even better idea might be to try to learn a simple subtractive freeware synth like Synth1 (admittedly the GUI leaves something to be desired, but read through the manual and you'll figure it out) or u-he's TyrellN6. You could also follow Sevenths' suggestion and try one of the many free chiptune-oriented synths like Magical 8Bit Plug, as these tend to be fairly straightforward and produce sounds that go well with this style of music. These type of synths should be able to get pretty close to many of the sounds you want without the complexities of something like Omnisphere. I especially recommend Synth1, as it sounds great and has many, many free patch banks just waiting for you to find patches you like, pick them apart, and find out what makes them tick. Once you've mastered basic subtractive synthesis, you can move on to Omnisphere for more complex sounds.

As far as drums go, there are literally a gazillion great free drum samples out there, and if those aren't enough you can make your own.

For a cheap solution for more realistic non-percussion instruments, you could check out some of the many free soundfonts out there. I think there's even a Touhou soundfont bank floating around somewhere. Alternately, you could try Cakewalk's Dimension Pro. It's an older plugin that's probably not worth the $100 they ask for it, but it occasionally goes on sale for $20 and has a reasonable selection of multi-sampled instruments, and many expansions that also sometimes go on sale.

For pitched vocal slicing like in that last song, Melodyne is probably the way to go, unless you're crazy and want to do it manually. For a simple vocoding solution (assuming you're not using FL Studio, in which case you've already got the excellent Vocodex), check out mda talkbox.

Finally, if you like the electric guitar-esque sounds some of those songs have but don't have an electric guitar, you could experiment with running synths through the many great, free guitar amp/pedal simulations to achieve a similar sound.

Whatever you do, keep resisting the urge to buy a bunch of stuff (for that matter, don't even go overboard downloading free plugins)! In almost every case, there is no killer plugin or device that will magically give you the sounds you're looking for, and chances are you'll just end up being overwhelmed by a bunch of stuff that you don't really know how to use.

hope some of this helps!

i am very much interested in this too

It's not the plugin, it's about arrangement.

You can use any va synth for the sound, as long as you master the arrangement part. If you're not good with sound design, you can get synth with plenty of usable presets like sylenth, massive, or spire.

For the drums you can get commercial sample pack then slice and sample the sequence accordingly.

For the glitch vocal then you have to do it manually, there's no other way. But you can use plugins like slicex or ableton warping to edit and sample them to a piano roll.
musisikamar.com

Check this thread about Yasutaka Nakata:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... ssion.html

Return to “Production Techniques”