Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had a MusicMan Reflex (Basswood body with Maple Top and Mahogany "tone block") which played like a dream...
but it sounded dead (no resonance).
All the nicer Mahogany/Maple-cap instruments I've played have been far more resonant/vibrant.

That said, I had a MusicMan Basswood body bass that sounded great.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Probably not the best time to do so....as I've just lost my cooking job.

I'm thinking of picking up another Samick HJ650 Artist Edition
I had one back in the 90's sweetest sub 2k jazz box I've ever played. As well the neck is smaller for smaller hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqRoHvJvQOc
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

If I had fingers like that, I'd love to have one of those. ^^

You guys remember this?

Hink called it "school bus yellow"

Mine is what he called "swimming pool blue" but it's the same. I love it so, but I want the poisoned pumpkin one to match :(
Last edited by hibidy on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

No image?

I have no idea what happened. Anyways, I linked a crappy picture of it. Now I'm sad.

What pickups does it have?

Uncle E wrote:What pickups does it have?
Ibz's. They sound perfect in mine.

My 3120 looks almost the same but came stock with a Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. It's really brilliant!

Uncle E wrote:My 3120 looks almost the same but came stock with a Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. It's really brilliant!
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG3120

I'm jelly. I know you've shown it before but what I was not aware of is that it's mahogany with a maple top. Yours obviously is not a 97, which year?

Mine exactly fits the description of a 1998-2002. I also have natural finished one of the exact same period but it doesn't play as nicely.

What's interesting and familiar about that is I've owned too many ibby's, and though you'd think they should be very similar, they are not. I feel personally that the one I have remaining is an exceptional jewel among "nice" guitars.

hibidy wrote:If I had fingers like that, I'd love to have one of those. ^^
Actually the neck is smaller in width and height then you can imagine. the action is low like a standard solid body guitar. I did a lot of gigs with that same guitar from '90 till '98 both in jazz and blues settings. I was always afraid of taking it out with me. It looks and plays more expensive then it is. Bringing an archtop like that into a biker bar in Detroit is asking for trouble.

The only things I didn't like about the guitar...It's deep. Very uncomfortable for me to play standing. And... it's deep, so playing live requires filling the body with foam to reduce the feedback, which also can reduce the natural resonance / reverb.

In as far as the technique. Yup that takes time and a lot of effort. Fingerstyle chord-melody jazz is a bitch to master. Before Ultimate Sports Bar closed down I was "revisiting" fingerstyle playing trying to get a few songs down for Christmas. I haven't played live to anyone in 10 years or so. Now that I've got a few standards under my belt. I'm all dressed up with no where to go.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

hibidy wrote:What's interesting and familiar about that is I've owned too many ibby's, and though you'd think they should be very similar, they are not.
Agreed. I've owned around 5 Prestige's by now, they were all good but only one was my favorite.

hibidy wrote:If I had fingers like that, I'd love to have one of those. ^^

You guys remember this?

Hink called it "school bus yellow"

Mine is what he called "swimming pool blue" but it's the same. I love it so, but I want the poisoned pumpkin one to match :(
hibidy- I was wondering if you could comment on precisely why you like the Ibby line. I've never owned one, though I do like the styling of many of them. I've heard some say that it's a 'fast' guitar, good for shredding, etc., but I'm really not sure I know what that means in practical terms.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Sure.

Yes, I really like the way they look. As far as "fast", they have a thinner neck, most of them have a very satin like fell on the back of the neck and the prestige line is mostly built really well. I have a tendency to prefer the the ones I've played from the 2000's (but not quite as much from the last couple of years.)

I had a real fascination with them for several years. I think I made a lot of errors with what I got based on not understanding certain things. I tried the "premium" route because of price and after I spent some time with them, they just didn't sound quite right even with different pickups. It's subjective, I mean there are others who think they are perfectly fine.

Though I'm not a really good player and don't have any proficiency with whammy bars, I still love ibanez trems. Unless you have a defect or something that needs to be fixed, they can be abused to the extreme and stay in tune.

Not sure what else to say. I'm not as infatuated as I used to be, but I love that super-strat look. The one I still have that is the blue version of the one above is just to die for.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”