New granular synth: The Mangle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Mangle

jc_vt wrote:Effect vs instrument....what do you want? They are both good at what they do. I find Melda products not very intuitive, and workflow a little obscure, but very powerful nonetheless.
I know it is a bit like apples and oranges, but Melda uses the word Resynthesis when describing their plug, that made me think....

They can’t be compare simply because they’re not the same thing at all. MMultiBandGranular is a granular effect (a la KTGranuator) where you feed it with incoming audio. It is very powerful but in my opinion, not very fun nor intuitive to use. I barely touch it and often have to remind me to use it. But sonically it’s good, no doubt about that. I suggest you to try the demo first, see if it’s your thing and if it fits with you and your workflow.

The Mangle is an granular synth / instrument where you load samples into it and granulate from there. You can a stack up to 8 granular slots (or layers if you prefer) on top of each other, for creating very complex grain clouds & sounds. It can sound very lush and smooth, or very sharp and grainy, depending on the audio material you use and the way you tweak it. And more importantly, it’s fun to use and pretty easy. Can’t go wrong with this granular synth really, it’s very good.

Neon Breath wrote:But sonically it’s good, no doubt about that. I suggest you to try the demo first, see if it’s your thing and if it fits with you and your workflow.
Just realized that Melda has pretty good demo restrictions, I downloaded and installed the demo. First impressisons are good, I was afraid it was a CPU hog

I don't have too many granulators, I might end up buying both at such nice prices :)

Very inspiring plugin and interface, congrats !
Hope to see a v1.0 demo soon.
Cheers

Just purchased The Mangle tonight ... spent two hours playing with it, all I gotta say is : WOAW ! Every sound design hobbyist / serious tweaker should consider buying this one (especially @ this price).
The interface is very well organised, everything is there (maybe a simple [next/previous sample] pair of buttons would be great instead of reopening the file dialog every time), total automation of every parameter works like a charm. Applies almost no load to the CPU ... (Win 8 x64 here).

Reminds me a little bit a plugin I used from ExpertSleepers called "Crossfade Loop Synth" for those who know (but The Mangle is working natively in an x64 environment, whereas CLS was not - and I'm tired of the JBridge thing that regularly crashes my sessions).

I love working with old film tracks samples (60s / 70s), been trying several products, Mangle is THE granular plug to me, definitely a must have IMHO. I wish developers of other products would sell v2.x versions of their plugs as brilliant and stable as this BETA !

Congrats Tom, keep up the good job !

Olivier

Seems awesome, one bit of uncertainty though: The original blog post about it says Windows 7+ and OS X 10.8, then an update says OSX 10.6 but "I may even require Windows 8 (though I hope to support 7)".

I'm on Windows 7 Pro, with no near-term plans to upgrade. My impression is that it currently works on 7, but that post says it may not in the future.

I'd love to play with this, and to support this project and this developer, but it doesn't make sense to buy it if it may not work on my OS.

dwozzle wrote:Seems awesome, one bit of uncertainty though: The original blog post about it says Windows 7+ and OS X 10.8, then an update says OSX 10.6 but "I may even require Windows 8 (though I hope to support 7)".

I'm on Windows 7 Pro, with no near-term plans to upgrade. My impression is that it currently works on 7, but that post says it may not in the future.

I'd love to play with this, and to support this project and this developer, but it doesn't make sense to buy it if it may not work on my OS.
Hi, don't worry The Mangle works fine on Win 7 (even XP according to reports, but I have no environment to test that). I wrote that blog post early on, when I had done a significant amount of work using C++11 features, many of which aren't available on Win 7. In the end I rewrote all those parts because so many people are still on Win 7 (tedious but worth it).

Awesome, on it!

@aerodrink, Crossfade Loop Synth is one of my favorite tools! I'd say it's like the opposite of The Mangle since it's not granular, but more like a sampler with PWM and sync.

It's able to make some unique sounds, and especially charming since it doesn't do timestretching and pitchshifting. Very glitchy and noisy, reminds me of what you can do with trackers.

The Mangle is also awesome, but as I see it you'd want both of them, apples and oranges :)

Tried now, really enjoyed it. The wish to developer not throw this thing.

The Mangle looks interesting enough. It seems like a great way for someone to dive into granular synthesis without too many features to scare one off. The UI looks great and the visual aspect makes easy enough for someone to learn. Is there a demo version to try ? I saw nothing on the website , but I could be missing it somewhere.

paulmatthew No, as i understood no demo (before final release). well, price really no much (although really weird a bit).

I'm still thinking of getting it anyway. I'm still kind of a/b comparing it with Granite as a simpler , more visual method of granular synthesis and stacking than can be done with Alchemy. The price is great and I love this interface. It looks like a miniature Mach Five 3 without the frills.
Last edited by paulmatthew on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just joined this forum…You all are forsure going to make me go broke, haha.

VALI wrote:Just joined this forum…You all are forsure going to make me go broke, haha.
Leave before you develop terminal G.A.S. :D

Return to “Instruments”