AKG K612 Pro -VS- Audio Technica ATH m40x

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

consider the uncolored flat response of the long time industry standard.... the infamous AKG K-240
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

^ A friend has the K-240 MK II and had a quick listen...
They sound great, but not so sure if I want that extra low mids/high bass.

I'm looking on the web about the K-612 atm, I understand that they sound awesome for the price so maybe I'll get those instead of the m40x.
They seem closer to the K-712 but without extra bass bump and way cheaper!

btw, does anyone know if I would need a headphone preamp for the 120 ohm AKG K-612? (hopefully not)
I have an M-Audio Fire Wire Solo audio interface with a headphone output (and volume control) and planning to use that.

A headphone that doesnt come up a lot for studio reference tracking and mix checking is the Senn HD598.

It arguably has flatter frequency response than the 701, HD650 or the DT880. It cost less and is only 50 ohm. Excellent construction, styling and comfort too. Superb clear sound with incredible detail and soundstage.

http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph

Just checked the HD598 on the headroom graph but man...why do "all" headphones tend to have that huge bump around 2-6k (when using the RAW freq response)? is it for some acoustic compensation having to do with the ear canal or something? ...need to investigate.

I've asked AKG for some graphs but they said they didn't provide any... but anyway the rest of the info they gave me was helpful.
The K 612 pro is a further develompent of the K 601 and for sure better for mixing /mastering as a (consumer level) K 550.

updated 1st post

AKG K612 Pro -VS- Audio Technica ATH m40x

I have a sensation that the K612 Pro will win perhaps?! :D

3ee wrote:Just checked the HD598 on the headroom graph but man...why do "all" headphones tend to have that huge bump around 2-6k (when using the RAW freq response)? is it for some acoustic compensation having to do with the ear canal or something? ...need to investigate.

I've asked AKG for some graphs but they said they didn't provide any... but anyway the rest of the info they gave me was helpful.
The K 612 pro is a further develompent of the K 601 and for sure better for mixing /mastering as a (consumer level) K 550.
Mine also have a bump, I undo it with the help of an equalizer. I don't know why they do that. One does hear details better with such a bump, but the color of the sound is wrong, which I think is worse.

Diffuse field equalisation. Negating it with your own EQ is kind of bass-ackwards, might as well just have bought a non diffuse equalised pair of cans...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/au ... r-function

http://www.head-fi.org/t/19259/what-is- ... ualization

Funny, although I had never heard of that before (thanks for the link, the Beyer link within the link is also interesting) I did notice the greater detail (probably because everything is not stuffed into one imaginary spot but spread in imaginary space) and the reverb touch to it by myself :) So I will stop using an equalizer :D

But the different, obviously intentional sound color does make me wonder if the HD280 are ideal for sound programming since they clearly change the sound.

The M50 don't do that, but they do sound denser, they probably have much less of that diffusing effect.

In terms of my purchase decision, I don't remember reading anything about that on the sites I investigated, like on Sennheiser's own site. Maybe I just didn't see it. I was not able to test hear them anywhere before...

Personally, I'd go with AKG every time. I had the older m50, but I found them better for listening on the move than as a reference. Unless tracking, I find closed designs too claustrophobic and low end heavy (the modern ones generally are).

Even so, I replaced them with AKG 271, and I prefer those as closed cans. But mixwise, I trust the k702 quite a lot. If the k612 are based on the design of the k701/702 they'd be my choice out of the 2.

They don't necessarily need an amp, it depends on how much juice the headphone out on your interface will provide. Mine seems to give me enough, and they even sound 'ok' driven by an iPhone :shrug:

Thanks again for the feedback guys! :) ...will have to do a bit more research but my bet so far is more on the K612 now. (maybe because I studied them more in the last days?! :hihi: )

As I found on the internet, the K612 is suppose to resemble the K701, K702 sound quite (K712 has more bass which takes away a bit from a "flat" response) ... people say that the K612 has a more natural/true sound stage/image than the "wider" K700s.. hmm

audiosabre wrote:Personally, I'd go with AKG every time.
yup, showing my age here... seeing them more times in music videos (the gold cup rings) than anything else,
AKG is by far the industry standard.
you can't beat the comfort and durability when spending hours and hours mastering an entire album. i've only ever had to replace them once in my 34 year recording/mastering career.
Last edited by layzer on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nm

Finally found some graphs for the K612 Pro:
http://en.goldenears.net/42471

I wouldn't ever recommend mastering on headphones. HD600s are very common with mastering engineers, but not for doing the main work on, just for QC checking at the end.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”