DCAM: Synth Squad underrated?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

overrated in my opinion. I never been impressed with it really and would sell mine if it wasn't for the $50 fee.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

tiny UI and CPU unfriendly. But sad to see it hardly reach version 2.0

chk071 wrote:Maybe it's because it's 3 synths? I always found that approach a bit weird. What if i only like 1 of the 3?
We have a winner!

I liked it and bought it when it came out, it was good analogue emulation at the time; one of the best (if not the best) really. I still use Cypher because you can coax out some pretty unique sounds with it but almost never use Strobe anymore. Modeling techniques have developed since (and cpu power increased too) and Stobe (imho) has been superseded by new generation of softsynths with 0dfb filters.
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

i think part of the reason is because it's hugely powerful. most sounds don't need all this power. for most sounds, some freeware synths could make sound of comparable quality, at a fraction of CPU munch and GUI complexity, let alone commercial offerings. it doesn't do simple and conventional sounds any better than a lot of other synths, and burdens you with its GUI and CPU usage.

however, where DCAM Synth Squad really shines is when you need some complex sounds. its modulation options are unparalleled, and Fusor takes those (already powerful) modulation capabilities and puts them on steroids. hell, it puts the steroids on steroids, and then puts modulation on those steroids!
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

we need V2 , i like these, one of the strong point of dcam is that these plugins sit good in the mix,no need to fight with the sound to get it right, it s decently well balanced tonaly , there is some highs, the low mid is not super muddy.

i don't use these plugins for analog sound but for good digi/va sound , these sound unique to me that why i keep these, these don't have replacement .

these are not much talked about cause old and learning curve is very steep to get the best out of it, also included presets might be not suited for popular electronic genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K37ou-T7rAc
Last edited by Synthetic Wav on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:54 am, edited 6 times in total.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

Burillo wrote: where DCAM Synth Squad really shines is when you need some complex sounds. its modulation options are unparalleled, and Fusor takes those (already powerful) modulation capabilities and puts them on steroids. hell, it puts the steroids on steroids, and then puts modulation on those steroids!
That made me giggle, and made me want to play with DCAM :D

Never actually had a play with it. Can't remember what put me off it now :?
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

ATS wrote:overrated in my opinion. I never been impressed with it really and would sell mine if it wasn't for the $50 fee.
Isn't it the buyer who pays the fee ?

Acid Mitch wrote:
ATS wrote:overrated in my opinion. I never been impressed with it really and would sell mine if it wasn't for the $50 fee.
Isn't it the buyer who pays the fee ?
even if that's the case, the seller would need to adjust their price accordingly. it works out the same, either way :shrug:

V0RT3X wrote:The small GUI has been fixed now with the latest update which allows you resize the GUI to a much bigger size
i don't own dcam, but this bodes well for geist :)

Underrated to my mind too. Cypher has a deeply annoying bug which causes modulation amounts to significantly differ across oversampling settings; stable tones can change into beating, or just plain inharmonic ones after switching to a different oversampling rate (when using the presets, I wonder which oversampling setting is the 'right' one). To be honest though, the other two synths in the package are where it's at for me anyway. Strobe is about the tastiest VA a non-Diva user like myself could ask for, while Amber is a truly beautiful sounding string synth that can produce warm and woozy tones with some idiosyncratic voice leading possibilities (due to the divide-down architecture). Sounds which I just haven't found any other way of making despite their apparent simplicity. Don't regret my purchase for a second.

Also, I think FXpansion did themselves a disservice by making 1x oversampling the default setting. Even the bare-bones init patches are robbed of the high-end at 1x oversampling. If you're considering demoing it, make switching to at least 2x your first action before you try anything else.

I don't think it's underrated but there is not so much hype about FXpansion stuff compared to other developers. I use Strobe in most of my tracks but because it's so easy to use and a very stable synth I would not open a thread to talk about Strobe ;)
It's IMO similar with Geist... if Synth Squad or Geist would be from U-He, I think we had dozens of threads about it :hyper:

Underrated, but I think there are reasons why they are not as popular as I think they should be.

1.The whole 3 synths and then Fusor is unnecessarily complicated. I think Strobe and Cypher should have been on one plug-in, selectable from a switch on the GUI maybe. It should have the basic fx section of Fusor strapped on to it too.

2. Slightly less cartoony GUI would have helped. But especially Cypher looks pretty cluttered.

3. Overly complicated way of doing true unison. I say this because I think a number of people have perhaps never heard Strobe or Cypher do true unison, or never programmed their own patches with it. It's in the manual but you know, who reads those?

4.1x oversampling by default. It sounds great at 4x but dull and lifeless at 1x.

Finally I think they could have done with better presets and better demos. 7Skies should have been onboard for example in the first place, or some other trance & dance artists.

I think Strobe is the stand out for me because of it's simplicity but excellent sound.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

4damind wrote: It's IMO similar with Geist... if Synth Squad or Geist would be from U-He, I think we had dozens of threads about it :hyper:
The reason for this: U-he constantly working on their products, giving feedback as much as possible, being open about their new developments to their customers.

On the other hand: DCAM has its own forum.

U-he Fixes bugs in a timely fashion, adds features, listen to their customers etc.... There is no comparison between the two companies, imho.
Rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”