wow apple release new mac mini with NO quad core at any price

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

maschinelf wrote:When I first read the thread title, I thought Apple had launched new dual core Mac minis at "pay what you want" price .. :lol:
i'd buy that for a dollar :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HOt0ZOcYk

mhog wrote:the new mac mini is a real kick in the teeth

is it ?? some perspective, maybe :shrug:

mhog wrote:The only mac quad-core serious product for home recording and computer music remains the Macbook Pro 15 (2,000+ €). Otherwise: nothing.
that's also untrue.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

mhog wrote:The only mac quad-core serious product for home recording and computer music remains the Macbook Pro 15 (2,000+ €). Otherwise: nothing.
that's also untrue.
Well, unless you buy older products on ebay, the only "I7 quad-core 16 gb" choice on Apple Store now seems to be the macbook pro 15. Let alone that awful sort of long black ultraexpensive ashtray, of course :?

why have you ruled out the 21.5 imac which does have a quad core i7 option?
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:why have you ruled out the 21.5 imac which does have a quad core i7 option?
rsp
It is a very expensive option and it comes with the awful "fusion drive", everything is soldered, they put even glue (!), Many people don't need at all a display, they already own one (that is why the mac mini was so useful and convenient).
Last edited by mhog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhog wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

that's also untrue.
Well, unless you buy older products on ebay, the only "I7 quad-core 16 gb" choice on Apple Store now seems to be the macbook pro 15. Let alone that awful sort of long black ultraexpensive ashtray, of course :?
there's also imac

and, yes, there's also ebay. some great re-sellers. i got a really good machine for half of the price you mentioned

Can the imac display be used as an external monitor? I mean, what if I connect my macbook pro to the imac? Is it possible?

imac quad.jpg
mhog wrote:
zvenx wrote:why have you ruled out the 21.5 imac which does have a quad core i7 option?
rsp
It is a very expensive option and it comes with the awful "fusion drive", everything is soldered, they put even glue (!), Many people don't need at all a display, they already own one (that is why the mac mini was so useful and convenient).
oh I wasn't debating the usefulness of the mac mini, I waited one year for the update and am exceedingly disappointed.
I was debating whether the mbp is the only option... that too has a display,
and I easily found an imac without fusion drive.

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

The problem with the new imacs seems to be they are no more customizable (but in Apple store), because of glue and solderings. As you can see, 16 gb RAM for 200$ is a steal, 512 GB ssd 500$ is a robbery (you can find them for less than 200$ nowadays). So: 200+500 = 700, too much. I can find 16gb+512 ssd for less than 300€ out there.

With usb3 and thunderbird being available, why even bother trying to stuff the imac with a different hard drive? Use an external one of your choic.
Rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:With usb3 and thunderbird being available, why even bother trying to stuff the imac with a different hard drive? Use an external one of your choic.
Rsp
I would prefer two internal hard drives, one for the OS (and dual boot) and the other for the data. I used to do like that with macbook pro (removing dvd drive). I guess nowadays 512gb for OS drive (OSX+apps and WX+ software) is the right requirement. 16 gb is the minimum RAM for 64 bit DAWS. I7 quad-core seems to be a must. Of course one can manage with an i3, too. My macbook pro is a core2duo with 8gb RAM and I am happy enough.
That is why I think I will remain on macbook pro used "as a desktop" (connected to an external monitor). The rest (mac mini, imac and macpro) seems to be uncomfortable and/or too expensive.
Last edited by mhog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ok, personal choice, that's fine.
But the mbp is I still contend not the only quadcore choice for audio, although it may be for you, except the mbp can't hold two internal hard drives either.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:ok, personal choice, that's fine.
But the mbp is I still contend not the only quadcore choice for audio, although it may be for you, except the mbp can't hold two internal hard drives either.
rsp
That is the big question, because now they removed the dvd drive, and I heard bad news about glue and solderings on new MBP, too. In this case, I guess I would howerer choose MBP + external (USB3/Thunderbolt) HHD + monitor. Advantages: same power + portability (travel, stage etc.).

I'm JUST drunk enough to say........what a mess!

Too much, too little power, and with all this "glue" nonsense, too shoddy.

I'm on MacMini (and MBP) myself and I am shocked with all this. I haven't used PC/Windows for a long time (I'm was still on XP), but now I will have to consider a PC or Hackintosh... :/

I replaced memory and HDD in MacMini and replaced the dvd drive with an SSD disk in MBP - and it felt that there is too little to upgrade. And now I won't be able to upgrade anything myself :(

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”