Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

bitcrusher wrote:CPU use will be the same as 1.0, it's improved on AAX and Win64 slightly. RAM consumption was a big change. To reduce CPU consumption drastically means reducing quality. Serum aliases FAR less than most synths in their highest settings. I plan a draft mode in the future (which will still be about where other WT synths are aliasing-wise in their highest quality settings). In any case, here I get less CPU use per-voice than say Massive (by far) but Serum lends itself more to unison situations and such.
Something like a "Draft mode" would be indeed helpful IMO.

Concerning Unison e.g. DUNE 2 offers two ways, either the "normal" Unison which uses much more CPU and the Multisaw feature (with up to 32 detuned waveforms) that actually works for all waveforms and uses a lot less CPU than the Unison while sound wise the results with the Multisaw feature could be superior.
Actually a single pad with the Multisaw feature could be very low on CPU on my system (below 10% in ithe display of Live 9). Same with e.g. Waldorf Largo with full 6 voice Unison.

A funny thing concerning aliasing is that in Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V actually an emulation (!!) of the aliasing of the original PPG wave 2.2/2.3 synths was implemented that adds a certain character to the sound.
This also depends on the TruePPG mode and with this switched off there is a cleaner sound.

Even in wavetable synths that have a slight amount of aliasing i found that this usually disappears in a mix with multiple sounds playing at the same time (and usually this is mostly noticed in low and high octaves that are not used all the time...). For me it's also about practical use and in that respect an insane CPU use could be sometimes worse than a small amount of aliasing in the sound.

Based on that having a Draft mode in Serum would maybe make it more usable for people that actually care about CPU use even when the resulting sound could be slghtly worse.

I own lots of wavetable synths (and have owned even more as both hard. and software) and for me aliasing never was really a big ussue with those. With proper emulations of analog synths this could be maybe a different story but i also own several older softsynths of that type where this is not a real problem for me...

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I'm using a 3 year old laptop and it's not giving me any problems with CPU usage. It really doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm kind of confused why it would matter that much to you, with all of your other options, that someone radically redesign their VST synth so people can run it on windows 95 machines. Just use what works for you man. Accept that you can't put a V8 in a compact car, and move on. Just my 2 cents.

TonyVegas wrote:I'm using a 3 year old laptop and it's not giving me any problems with CPU usage. It really doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm kind of confused why it would matter that much to you, with all of your other options, that someone radically redesign their VST synth so people can run it on windows 95 machines. Just use what works for you man. Accept that you can't put a V8 in a compact car, and move on. Just my 2 cents.
It's not like i am using an old Pentium PC with Windows 95 here, i was doing lots of beta tests, sound design and audio demos (with multiple instances) using that PC.

I am also not asking for a "radical redesign", just for for a lower qualty mode (or "Draft mode" like it was called above.

For example U-He Diva is also unusable for me with the Divine mode but it has a few modes with lower quality that make it perfectly usable for me (Without using the voice stack it is normally even usable with "Great" quality mode). Also the new Waves Codex synth while not really low at CPU use (especially with Unison on) is still playable for me when using more than one instance of e.g. pad sounds.

Synthmaster could be CPU demanding too in the highest quality mode but the quality is adjustable. I admit that Massive could be CPU demanding depending on the Unison setting but using lower quality settings already like High or Eco helps there (or reducing the amount of maximum voices used if you only want to use e.g. 3 note chords). With comparable settings as in Serum (e.g. 7 voice Unison, maximum voices limited to e.g. 30) Massive still seems to be perfectly playble that way, even with a layer of 2 pads.
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

After playing with it a bit, I had to put it in the "not-for-me" bag.

The GUI is fantastic and great to use - stuffed full of good ideas. It's the sound I'm not liking, although I prefer it to any other WT synth I've played with.

I've demo'd a few of them now and don't seem to like any of them, so I'm coming to the conclusion that it's WT synthesis that I'm not so keen on, rather than the specific synth I'm playing with. Which is annoying to me, as it sounds on paper like something I would love!

Or maybe I'm just bad at programming them...
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Ingonator wrote: I am also not asking for a "radical redesign", just for for a lower qualty mode (or "Draft mode" like it was called above.
Oh yeah, I can see how that would be useful for anyone having those issues. Multicore was very useful for me with Diva.
The_Hidden_Goose wrote: I've demo'd a few of them now and don't seem to like any of them, so I'm coming to the conclusion that it's WT synthesis that I'm not so keen on, rather than the specific synth I'm playing with.
I know what you mean. I think I'm in the same boat. And I guess I'm just a total dumb ****, but I was demoing it today and for the life of me, I could not find a god**** sine wave. I just wanted a god**** sine wave! I guess I just don't do so well with lots of options.

TonyVegas wrote: I know what you mean. I think I'm in the same boat. And I guess I'm just a total dumb ****, but I was demoing it today and for the life of me, I could not find a god**** sine wave. I just wanted a god**** sine wave! I guess I just don't do so well with lots of options.
It's a one time setup:
- Open the table editor
- clear everything by hitting Add/Remove->Init all
- load the formula Singles->sin
- Close the editor
- Save the wavetable (small disk icon to the right of the name), e.g. in the User folder
Done, you can now easily load the sine table with two clicks

There is a long list of videos about Serum by Dorian Day on YouTube, and one I just looked at does some great comparisons among diff synths for purity of signal

http://youtu.be/MtvpAxTe75E

I have little problem with CPU load myself, but that for some may be the price of inherent quality noted here

edit, nevermind
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

I love the sounds I've heard from this synth, but the last few pages of comments regarding CPU usage have me concerned. I'm using a 4-year old iMac w/4GB of RAM. Should I pass on this?

try the demo!

Since the official forum is restricted, is it possible to see the changelog for people that haven't already bought it?

edit : Ok, found it on the news. Thanks jc_vt.
Last edited by xx JPRacer xx on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Its seems adding Multi-core capabilities is essential for Serum.
I like this synth and how it sounds very much.

My system seems to be able to handle most synths just fine.
With Diva having the ability to enable multi-core is a life saver.

This would quickly solve Serums number one problem, CPU usage.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

It was posted as an announcement on KVR...search for it

why is this thread always at the top?..... oh yeah. its new! :smack:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Sorry if this was answered before, but do you plan to add more slots to the mod matrix?

Return to “Instruments”