October Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aziraphal wrote:I'm in :) And here's how it was done. You can see my Samsung phone glued to the left side of the middle keyboard that's running a stopwatch (to know when to turn back :) )
Cheers Matt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ohpmA4n9LE

That's an impressive performance! :clap:

[Edited to include the video]

kryptonaut wrote:
Aziraphal wrote:I'm in :) And here's how it was done. You can see my Samsung phone glued to the left side of the middle keyboard that's running a stopwatch (to know when to turn back :) )
Cheers Matt
That's an impressive performance! :clap:
It sure is. Great job! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

I agree as well. You have some very impressive improvisational skills, Aziraphal!

Thanks Kryptonaut
Thanks Slartibartfast
Thanks David

:hug:

Hm, listening to it again it seems kind of boring.. :( Off to listen to my fellow divers now!
Every time you use autotune, God kills a kitten.
Please, think of the kittens.

Well, I'm out. I put off starting anything and then got sick, so I'm just going to keep resting (and looking at the list of possible themes).
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:Well, I'm out. I put off starting anything and then got sick, so I'm just going to keep resting (and looking at the list of possible themes).
Get well soon!

^Thank you. I'm most of the way there.
No longer a moderator.

Submissions thread is locked, voting thread is up.

Next month:
SELL OUT! (or: SELL THE SIZZLE!)

This month you are asked to submit music for a television advertisement, or the ad itself if you're so inclined (audio only, please). Please tell us what the ad is for in your submission post.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:Submissions thread is locked, voting thread is up.

Next month:

This month you are asked to submit music for a television advertisement, or the ad itself if you're so inclined (audio only, please). Please tell us what the ad is for in your submission post.
That's cool !

What's the lenghth allowed ? 30-40 secs time-limit ?

Cheers

As many of us crave feedback on our tracks.....here are my totally subjective opinions.

Interferon - Shipwreck Secrets
Lusciously atmospheric, with a subsea industrial feel. Those spooky bells create an eerie feeling. Very evocative.

kryptonaut - Freedive
Good to hear something not quite so ambient, yet in keeping with the theme. Very Jarre-esque in places. I liked the whale sounds particularly. Great stuff.

Peppy_197 - Titanic's Soundscape
Nice piano work on this. I don't quite get "merry and carefree" in the piano theme as you suggest, though - the theme is more reflective than that. An ambitious task you set yourself to try and fit all of this into 3 minutes. While the individual sections of the track are well done, I am not sure that they quite all hang together as a cohesive track within this short a timeframe.

ClaRago - Many Fish in the Sea
This is the only track (so far) to have a percussive background, and somehow this doesn't quite fit with the mellowness of the theme. I like the sounds and structure of this track, but am not sure whether it is quite "marine" enough. I do like the theme that appears at 1:36 though. It certainly shows that great results can be achieved only on an iPad.

David Stiles - I Walked Into the Water
Lovely orchestration - you make something that I am sure is quite difficult look easy. In comparison with other tracks submitted this month it is not quite as "marine" - but I think that is more a limitation associated with using orchestral instruments. The "beach" and the "deep" make an interesting contrast and do evoke the feelings of both. Very varied throughout and a fascinating and interesting listen.

Laguna Rising - Unlit Colors
The depths are busy and slightly disturbing, if this track is anything to go by. Lovely swirly keys with the odd bit of dischord in the background.

DocJon - Wreck of the Nautilus
Very chilled - I could well imagine drifting under the ocean to this music. The mix is great, with all of the sounds working well together. A particularly luscious bass sound in this. The last third of the track doesn't quite work as well as the first two thirds, and while the morse code sits comfortably in some places, right at the end it seems slightly out of place (and my morse code skills aren't good enough to tell what it is saying).

Barnadine - The Mermaid Call
Another refreshingly non-ambient track. With vocal upfront and the supporting sounds doing just that, in a lovely, subtle way, this has a great mix. Not sure that the lyrics (which are great) quite fit with the feeling of the music, but it is worth repeated listening just for the overall feel and sound.

Aziraphal - Going Deep
A great improvised performance, and hard to believe that this was all played live and done in one take (but you have the video to prove it!). Very evocative and cinematic (and definitely not boring).

shangsean - o4
This track tells a great story in sounds - it is easy to imagine this as a soundtrack accompanying a suitable video. It has a slightly threatening deep sea feel to it that is not overdone, but creates great atmosphere. Great use of sound effects, and the piano brings it all together nicely.

bzur - Leviathan
Another cinematic track that creates great atmosphere and does just what it says on the packet - brings a sea monster to life. There are some moments of great tension and buildup - followed by slight release, and then it all happens again until the monster comes into full view in all its terror. One minor quibble is the choice of bass drum that accompanies the cymbal crashes - something with a sharper attack may have sat better in the mix.

beanpole - Under the Sea
This is definitely not ambient or cinematic. Very different to the other tracks in that the lyrics discuss wanting to live under the sea, rather than the music taking us there. The guitars are well played, and overall the mix is good. A personal preference would be to apply a bit more EQ and compression to the kick drum to tighten it up a bit. A nice poppy ditty.

kaade - Fathom
Welcome. What a multiplicity and cacophony of sounds there are under your sea. Individually, there are some great elements in this track, but overall it didn't quite give me as comprehensive a feeling of being underneath the waters as some others - probably needed a bit more reverb, and for some of the bell sounds not to be quite as "up front" and jangly.

Space Coyote - Plongeur
As a great fan of Pink Floyd, I love this track as it is very reminiscent of their music - however I am less certain about its submarine qualities. I love the lead guitar work, and the electric piano provides a very solid backing. It is a great, laid back, easy listening tune that I definitely will be keeping.
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

Lets dump the mp3 requirement here, after all we are not in 1998

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/high- ... -1.2806366

I hate it how I make a nice delicate interchange between layers just to have it presented as much mush

After all we are not trying to sell anything at all to the global third-world market through a dial up connection

We just wanna have fun :ud: and mp3 is trash, not fun at all
Heinrich Heine wrote: "Nothing is more futile than theorizing about music."
Me write: "I have no talent and regularly prove it in the Music Cafe contests"

Depends on what you mean by mp3?

Fixed, or vbr?
Bit rate?

What about people wanting to check the entries while on the move with their phone? Even on my home machine, if someone tries to chuck a bunch of 24/96 waves at me I'll wave too... bye-bye.

Whatever is chosen has to be an open format (or relatively so). You can't expect people to have to go out and buy a whole new computer just because you use a format that's only available on one platform.

For all it's faults, I think mp3 is here for a long while yet.

Incidentally, I used to put my entries up on ogg-vorbis format too, but hardly anyone was downloading them :shrug:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I mean wave files which have higher fidelity

But then, if you like black and white tube TV because you can still cheaply get the signal from your antenna, then that is fine
Heinrich Heine wrote: "Nothing is more futile than theorizing about music."
Me write: "I have no talent and regularly prove it in the Music Cafe contests"

Laguna Rising wrote:
D.H. Miltz wrote:Submissions thread is locked, voting thread is up.

Next month:

That's cool !

What's the lenghth allowed ? 30-40 secs time-limit ?

Cheers
Usual three minute limit. Might make for some long commercials, but who knows?
No longer a moderator.

We won't be dumping the mp3 (and/or Ogg Vorbis) requirement.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Music Cafe”