PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Really like this :)
Riptide x Sons of Liberty

electro wrote: Why not just limit the preset system to JX8P sysex? Then there can be full patch compatibility between hardware and the plugin.
Mainly because there are some extra parameters, which are not stored in JX8P sysex. In the previous version, I was experimenting with an PG8X sysex, which adds them, but I think using basically the normal chunks is easier and more flexible.

Cheers,
Martin

Where can I get the latest version?

alvfaria wrote:Where can I get the latest version?
Version 1.2a is on Martin Lüders' site: https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/pg8x/
Riptide x Sons of Liberty

Rokubar wrote:
alvfaria wrote:Where can I get the latest version?
Version 1.2a is on Martin Lüders' site: https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/pg8x/
Not true. You need to go to the facebook page and find the most recent link in the posts.
https://www.facebook.com/MLVST
and sorry, I don't know the most recent version, the plugin currently doesn't report its version number.
Nor do I know the dropbox link URL.

The version on his google site (1.02, not 1.2) is two years old; the latest is May 2014 as far as I know.

Trying out the latest AU version (five months ago? time flies…) in Live 9, Mavericks 10.9.5, I noted a strange phenomenon that may be known already. Anyway, here goes:

Instantiating JX8P and loading the .syx banks is fine in Live 9.1.5, as is playing via the Mac keyboard or via MIDI.

However, when I drag a commercial MIDI loop (Groove Monkee Blues Bass) to a slot in Arrangement view and hit Play, then JX8P switches to an INIT patch, regardless of which patch I have selected!

I tested the same situation with Zebra, just to check if the MIDI loop had perhaps some patch change control code hidden. The loop played normally with Zebra, though.

If this anomaly hasn't been reported earlier, perhaps it's a cause for a bit of checking?

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:
However, when I drag a commercial MIDI loop (Groove Monkee Blues Bass) to a slot in Arrangement view and hit Play, then JX8P switches to an INIT patch, regardless of which patch I have selected!
The MIDI file probably contains ProgramChange information.

Remove it, or apply a MIDI filter to prevent the PC messages from getting through to the plugin.

ENV1 wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:
The MIDI file probably contains ProgramChange information.

Remove it, or apply a MIDI filter to prevent the PC messages from getting through to the plugin.
Thanks for the hint! You were right. But PrCh in a commercial MIDI loop doesen't make much sense, does it?

/Joachim

Spitfire31 wrote: Thanks for the hint! You were right. But PrCh in a commercial MIDI loop doesen't make much sense, does it?

/Joachim
Was the MIDI file supposed to be a GeneralMidi (GM) file? In this case, a programme change might make sense, as instruments are more or less defined for GM.

Martin

I'll have to check with Groove Monkee if indeed that loop collection is designed for GM!

Thanks for the tip!

/Joachim

FInally, after too long time, I managed to put together a new beta release:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m636vgxhta9e ... 3SVaa?dl=0

First, I should mention the things which are NOT finished:
  • some GUI elements are still missing
  • the coloured buttons still need redoing (clearer fonts)
  • some fine tuning of parameters
  • proper documentation
  • and probably many more things, I can't think of at the moment.
Now to the things which have changed:
  • Preset System:
    Due to the long discussion we had earlier in this thread, I have reworked the preset system quite a bit.
    • only one preset is visible to the host, presets are handled internally.
    • Both "restorer" and "keeper" behaviour is implemented, and can be selected by the "PRESET SETTING BEHAVIOUR" switch in the MIDI panel. Depending on the "IMMEDIATE WRITE" settings, presets are either immediately written into the patch memory, when a parameter is changed, or need to be written using the red "WRITE" button. This setting is saved in a "pg8x.ini" file, which will be generated in the same directory, in which the plugin lives (write permissions required!!).
  • Number of voices can be changed from 6 to 12.
  • LFO can be sync'ed to host tempo
  • LFO trigger behaviour can be selected:
    • FREE: LFO is free running
    • SOFT: LFO will be restarted when a key is pressed while no other key is pressed (same behaviour as what triggered the LFO delay)
    • HARD: LFO is retriggered with every key (I might disable that in future again)
As usual, please enjoy testing it, and let me know if things do not work, or not work as you would expect them to work.

Cheers,
Martin

:clap: :clap: :clap:

GREAT! Progress is progress even if incomplete and, so far, testing has been a joy.

Thanks again.
:hihi:
바보

Wow, this is a good update. Nice little touches there, like the two preset saving options.Thanks Martin!

can't save anything, banks or presets sysex or .pg8x using save button on gui under winxp sp3 x32 using EnergyXT2 or Savi-host :(
loading a sysex bank with the gui load button seems to work ok.
also saving and loading with the host fxp, fxb system appears to work ok.

gui looks good! bigger and clearer! :wheee:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:can't save anything, banks or presets sysex or .pg8x ...
Same here, PG8X Win32 & Win64 version:
PG8X-02-11 Win32 version (WinXP SP3 x86 + Tobybear MiniHost x86)
PG8X-02-11 Win32 version (Win7 x86 + SAVIHost x86)
PG8X-02-11 Win32 version (Win7 x64 + Tobybear MiniHost x86)
PG8X-02-11 Win64 version (Win7 x64 + Studio One Pro x64)

Save function disabled /not complete? :?:

* edit: added PG8X-02-11 Win32 (Win7 x86 + SAVIHost x86)
Last edited by RexXx on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

Return to “Instruments”