Looking for iOS app like Live or Acid

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm sure that this has been asked before - and I have looked through archives - but can not find what I am looking for. Maybe it doesn't exist or I have overlooked something.

I am looking for an iOS app that works like the early versions of Live or Acid. The main thing I need is for the app to have access to my iTunes library on my iPod/iPad. There are many loopers out there but none that I have found which can access the music library already on the iOS device (so far what I have found only has access to included loops or purchased loops in the app). I would like to load an entire song from my iTunes library and then have a loop sync to that tempo and play continuously while the main song is playing. And yes I am aware that you can "import" your own samples into loopers via iTunes but that would be a pain for 6000 songs on the device.

Now I know that some of this can be done with a DJ app, and those apps have access to the iTunes library on the ios device, and I can set a loop on the second deck, but I have not found any DJ apps which can start both decks at the same time with one button. I am not trying to perform an actual DJ session. I need to be able to load the song and sample (or multiple samples even - which would then exclude a DJ app as there are only 2 decks) and press one play button and have it use the main song as the tempo to sync to. I don't think this process would be to difficult and there are elements of what I want in many apps but not everything in one app I can find.

Thanks!
Russ

You have 6000 songs on iTunes? How do you have any space left for apps? I have only about 700 and it's 8GB. You need all 6000? Import features work pretty good in most apps. Beatmaker 2 can do what you're asking but uses import. I have 24 GB of samples in Beatmaker 2 that I transferred via FTP from my PC. Are you primarily remixing?
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Well here's the scoop. I'm an elementary music teacher. Yes I have my entire music curriculum kinder - 5th grade on my iPad, over 6000 songs any of which I might use at any time. But these are BORING kids songs, it's 2014 after all. I want to add some loops to make it more interesting. So I'm not DJing at all and if I want to be spontaneous and use any song I can't rely on importing.

Thanks, Russ

Russ, you could plan an entire years worth of music cirriculum easy enough. You are seriously telling me you have to spontaneously pick out of 6000 kids songs and add loops on the fly to teach kids music? Are you looking for apps that use standard notation? How do you plan on putting in loops with notation? A little pre-planning goes a long way.

Not trying to dissuade what you are doing, but I think you're being a little rigid in unrealistic requirements.

Best of luck though. I don't sight read anymore, so not familiar with apps that use notation. I also work entensively with loops (audio) and other than key signatures, midi loops sound like what you are looking for over audio loops. There you'll have a better chance everything spelled out in notation on a sequencer. Well, maybe. I still don't think it will spit out standard notation. Many apps that can mix midi and audio tracks. Midi loops are less common, but still there are a lot that can be found with a web search.

Maybe someone else can chime in on standard notation. Sorry not much more help.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Sorry for any confusion! The songs on my ipod and iPad are mp3's not notation. Of course I don't use the entire library all the time but I do have a bit of spontenaiety in class. I carry my iPod on a lanyard around my neck and sit w the kids sometime. If an idea hits me I pull up the song right there. Right now I'm using DJay and I can set the second deck with I loop if I want but I have not found a way to have them start at the same time without doing it manually. Not a super big deal but when you have 40 x 6 yr olds every second counts literally and so was just wondering if there is something else easier. Not trying to be lazy but more efficient. on a computer this is fairly easy but I can't stick my laptop in my pocket, I can do that with my iPod (and iPad to some extent - I use both streaming to an airport express and apple TV).

Anyway thanks the input!
Russ

Got it. Now I understand. Can only recommend the dj apps from Native Instruments or IK Multimedia really. I understand it doesn't exactly fit your needs though. Always new ones coming out, so maybe something in the works right now we don't know about yet.

Good luck.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Loopy HD supports importing from iTunes Library.

I don't know if GrooveMaker 2 was included in the "DJ apps" from us above, so I think that also deserves a look in context of your needs: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/groovemaker2

I have considered GrooveMaker 2 previously (I used Groovemaker Free at one point) but tell me more about how the "import" works. Do you have to connect to a computer and file share by syncing through iTunes or can it "import" directly from the music on the device (ipod/iPad)? If this is true then what is the maximum size or length (time) of file that can be imported?

Thanks,

Russ

rM wrote:I have considered GrooveMaker 2 previously (I used Groovemaker Free at one point) but tell me more about how the "import" works. Do you have to connect to a computer and file share by syncing through iTunes or can it "import" directly from the music on the device (ipod/iPad)? If this is true then what is the maximum size or length (time) of file that can be imported?

Thanks,

Russ
Sorry I did not get notification of your reply! You can import new loops via file sharing, importing from your device Music Library, using Audio Paste, or Wi-Fi.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”